Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Problems with 3 & O2 services since merger?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rosb

I am on bill phone with 3 (formerly with O2 before merger). My Internet on phone slows right down in the evening, and often does not work at all. Happens at 9.30 or 10pm.

In contract for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

rosb wrote: »
    I am on bill phone with 3 (formerly with O2 before merger). My Internet on phone slows right down in the evening, and often does not work at all. Happens at 9.30 or 10pm.

In contract for another year.

The small print in those contracts doesn't take away your basic rights under consumer law.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

The recent outages and day-to-day issues since the Three/O2 merger give plenty of scope to challenge these contracts, particularly since the big outages have been nationwide and well reported in the media. You would need to keep a precise log of your problems, make a Formal Complaint, follow up by complaining to Comreg etc. You should probably give Three a reasonable chance to fix your evening congestion problem. I guarantee they won't be able to fix it in a reasonable time. They have too many problems and have totally underestimated the complexity of merging two incompatible networks. It will take them at least 3 years to fix this mess. The merger of Orange & T-Mobile in the UK took 3 years, and they were in much better shape to start with than O2 or Three Ireland.

Three wouldn't have a leg to stand on because the current level of service is not fit-for-purpose by any standards. Any court would rule in favour of the Consumer. If necessary you could threaten to go to the Small Claims Court - it will just cost you the €25 fee. Three will allow you back down on your contract rather than pay a solicitor to go to the Small Claims Court. It will take a little effort on your part, but there is no reason to put up with this disastrous service from Three.

eMobile, Meteor and Vodafone are far more reliable alternatives, and all offer 4G.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rosb

bugfreebob wrote: »
    The small print in those contracts doesn't take away your basic rights under consumer law.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

Thanks very much for that. I had not even thought of challenging my contract. Will keep a record as you advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

3 and 02 are a load of ****.im locked into a 2 year contract.my wife is on O2 and it's the worst signal ever.ever since 3 took over.ring them up and a bunch of clowns answer the phone that haven't got a clue

The scripted response to all the recent problems from Three "Customer Care" in Mumbai is to tell the customer that the SIM card is probably faulty and should be changed.

In twenty years of using GSM phones, I have never ever come a across a faulty SIM. I'm not saying they don't happen. Maybe if you leave your SIM lying around in the kitchen it might get greasy - but if the SIM is in the phone, it seems very unlikely that it would go faulty out of the blue. Even more unlikely that 1.5Million customers would all experience faulty SIMs in "Eire" at the same time.

Well it seems that the Mumbai faulty SIM script is starting to backfire on Three. Apparently their stores are starting to run out of SIMs because thousands of customers are being told by Mumbai to go to their local store and get a new SIM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

bugfreebob wrote: »
    Well it seems that the Mumbai faulty SIM script is starting to backfire on Three. Apparently their stores are starting to run out of SIMs because thousands of customers are being told by Mumbai to go to their local store and get a new SIM!

If correct this is just ridiculous :-D

Bob24 wrote: »
    If correct this is just ridiculous :-D

Have a look at the Talk-to-Three forum. The standard response from the official Three reps on there is that your SIM is probably faulty and must first be ruled out before anything else! You will also see many postings referring to having first been told the same by the Mumbai agents on the phone. There is no question about it. There is also no question about the proportion of their customers that are having problems since the merger. This poll confirms that as does almost any Three customer I have spoken to. How widespread the problem of shops running out of SIMs is or whether it is a temporary stock problem - I don't know this, but some friends have hit it, and you also see references to it on Talk-to-Three. I am helping some friends to try to get out of contracts. It is very laborious - but my advice is to follow any advice from Three first however daft it seems, so as to be seen to have followed due process.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Both my wife and I are on o2 prepay and our signal reception has gone from 4 or 5 bars to between 0 and 2 bars. We are in various locations in the Leinster area (most often in Dublin) and are wondering if 3 prepay has the same issues or is it just ex o2? I'm sick of not being able to make or receive calls and data is practically non existent unless on edge.

Both my wife and I are on o2 prepay and our signal reception has gone from 4 or 5 bars to between 0 and 2 bars. We are in various locations in the Leinster area (most often in Dublin) and are wondering if 3 prepay has the same issues or is it just ex o2? I'm sick of not being able to make or receive calls and data is practically non existent unless on edge.

The problems experienced by former O2 customers and native Three customers are slightly different - but most customers on both networks are experiencing major problems on a daily basis. The problems are time dependent and geo dependent, so it is difficult to generalise. This poll and the daily feedback on the Talk-to-Three forum give a good indication of the extent of the problems.

Most of the problems stem from the fact that Three have very poor native coverage (mostly 3G with no 2G which is important for indoor voice). They were heavily dependent on a roaming agreement with Vodafone which gave the impression that they had good national and indoor coverage. Now that they have bought O2, the Three customers have been switched to roaming on the old O2 network which was already creaking at the seams due to lack of investment and no 4G. Hence O2 customers who had a reasonable 2G/3G service are now experiencing congestion as you have described. Three customers have lost the good Vodafone coverage and are also experiencing dropped calls and congestion. There are lots of other problems too - but these are the main ones.

The customer care staff on Talk-to-Three have stopped recommending SIM swaps (the shops were starting to run out of SIMS!), and although they can't admit the extent of the problems they are now admitting that the network merger is going to take at least 2 years.

The network merger will involve Three building new base-stations hundreds of old O2 locations where O2 had base-stations previously. The existing O2 base-stations will need to be de-commissioned as they are from a different supplier and don't support 4G. Three may choose to consolidate some O2/Three base-stations in the process rather than have two located near each other. This is a huge engineering task - and will likely take 2-3 years. In the meantime, expect the service problems to continue.

If you are pre-pay, you need to get off the Three network to get away from these problems for the next couple of years. It will probably eventually get fixed - as Three have deep pockets and should be able to afford to do this. However, why put up with the pain for next couple of years? There is no point moving to Tesco, 48, Lyca or Blueface as they all use the Three network also. You need to move to eMobile, Meteor or Vodafone as they have separate networks. In general, eMobile have the best bundled deals with Broadband, phone & TV. Meteor have the best pre-pay deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Strum

In the 16 years I have been on the internet, three is THE WORST service I have EVER encountered and I'm definitely leaving now and look for something more reliable.

Every night at the same time the dongle shuts off and restarts while I'm in the middle of whatever I'm doing. If I didn't have it set to automatically restart I would be shut out of the connection. What's that about? Upgrading or what? A warning would be appreciated.

When I need to top up I have to call customer service to do it for me because I cannot open any links whatsoever on the main page, "page not found" etc.

I'm here now moaning because I was shut out for 30 minutes earlier, (in the middle of a conversation) and sometimes the server is down for up to an hour.

Best joke when the changeover with O2 happened it was stated "absolutely nothing will change" haha priceless, seeing as I was with them for 6 years without problems. :pac:

I've been moaning about it to people for a while but time now to go public about this useless service. Forms don't do anything. Bah! :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement