Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

30 years and doe

Options
  • 27-09-2012 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

i'm hoping to start restoring my 30 year old camper this year,not that there's much left of the year,and just wondered if it would be doe exempt like classic cars are not that it won't be tested anyway but just wondered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I've got the answer to this somewhere but can't lay my hands on it at the moment.

Call the RSA in Ballina, 096-25014, they'll have the info.

Something in the back of my mind tells me that it's only road tax that vintage vehicles are exempt from. Bu thtis might be my mind having a senior moment again:o.

Best of luck with the restoration project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

AFAIK any vehicle over 30 years is exempt but the insurance company would ask for one or engineers report anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

dickwod1 wrote: »
    AFAIK any vehicle over 30 years is exempt but the insurance company would ask for one or engineers report anyway.

Over 30 years and reg'd before 31/121979 are exempt, after vintage tax but needs nct. Good be wrong on the year could be from 31/12/1980. But makes no difference in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

650Ginge wrote: »
    Over 30 years and reg'd before 31/121979 are exempt, after vintage tax but needs nct. Good be wrong on the year could be from 31/12/1980. But makes no difference in your case.

ya right i must have been having a simpleton moment:confused:

bugsntinas wrote: »
    ya right i must have been having a simpleton moment:confused:

We all have them but I'm lucky, I can use age as my excuse:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

As stated above.

To avoid NCT/DOE on classics the vehicle must be registered before 1980.

For tax purposes everything 30 or more years old pays vintage tax €52 per year.

So basically '79 or earlier vintage tax + no NCT/DOE needed.

1980/81/82 gets vintage tax but does require NCT/DOE.

What is it you have by the way? I've a 1979 Chevy G30 cobra conversion meself.

But as dickwod1 said earlier you'll still, in all probability, need either a test cert or an engineers report for the insurance company. So which is going to be the easiest, and cheapest, to obtain.

I would go for the test.

Advertisement