Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So there's Netflix App on my XMB *READ OP: NO DISCUSSION OF REGIONAL BYPASSING**

• 08-01-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Yea, just saw it there in the "TV/Video Services" section. When you try to register however you receive a "Netflix will be available in Ireland soon" message.

It's a good sign anyway!

MOD EDIT: It has been advised that we halt discussion of methods to bypass Netflix regional restrictions because of the uncertainty posed by Sean Sherlock's new SI. Please do not ask how to access the US Netflix.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

Any idea if Sony Video Unlimited is to launch in Ireland soon?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Yea, just saw it there in the "TV/Video Services" section. When you try to register however you receive a "Netflix will be available in Ireland soon" message.

It's a good sign anyway!

You can get notice from here, https://signup.netflix.com/global

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

F1ngers wrote: »
    You can get notice from here, https://signup.netflix.com/global

Already registered through the app :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

How much of bb would streaming movies use?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

There was an article about it launching in the Sunday Business Post today.
    It says it's due to launch on Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

Vorrtexx wrote: »
    There was an article about it launching in the Sunday Business Post today.
    It says it's due to launch on Tuesday.

Was looking for the article there and apparently an Irish company is to launch it's own streaming service from April to rival iTunes and Netflix, called Digital Jet.

I don't have a subscription to the Sunday Business Post, but the Sindo had an article about it as well:

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/digital-jet-raising-euro5m-to-premiere-movie-service-2982556.html

Apparently LoveFilm are to looking to launch here soon as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really looking forward to this :) I'm a big advocate of sensible legal viewing options - it would be hypocritical of me not to be given my dream of being involved in the film industry professionally. But Ireland has been ****ed over for years in that regard, so this is a very positive step in the right direction.

I am slightly pessimistic, however, that the variety will not be as diverse as a service of this scale needs to be. However, if the mix between blockbusters, independents and world / classic cinema is right, this is a potentially game-changing development.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭tinodz

This is showing up on Gooogle searches...

sy0xA.png

Seems like a good price (maybe €7.99?)

This is live now.
    €6.99 pm - one month free.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well, I'm going to be living off Arrested Development and Mythbusters this month anyway :P

Relatively good selection of documentaries and classic films. Foreign film section is a bit all over the place, but some gems in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

I'm sure they will add movies and tv shows from ireland as time goes on. Granted they coulda had a stronger launch. But for some of the TV shows that iv been meaning to watch it would be worth the 6.99 for a few months.

Oh glorious HD streaming where have you been all my life!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I have to say that from what I have seen so far, the selection of stuff on there is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

Oh how I long for unlimited broadband :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Quick one for you guys, I'm thinking about replacing the current UPC TV package with this, but the one thing I can't seem to see is if they have (and please don't laugh, be sympathetic) is the likes of Peppa Pig and other staples of the Nick Junior channel that my 1yr old loves.

Anyone have this and been able to have a look?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

anyone know what the quality is like? I have a proper surround sound 5.1 setup (onkyo and kef in case you were wondering) and was wondering what the streaming quality is like?

i might sign up anyways.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

anyone know what the quality is like? I have a proper surround sound 5.1 setup (onkyo and kef in case you were wondering) and was wondering what the streaming quality is like?

i might sign up anyways.....

I'll let you know later tonight but I'd suggest you try the 1 months free trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I'll let you know later tonight but I'd suggest you try the 1 months free trial.

yeah, gonna do that....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You won't be able to replace UPC with this. The selection is rubbish. Three independent film studios and no new releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

https://signup.netflix.com/BrowseSelection

https://signup.netflix.com/

You can see whats available here before signing up. Wouldn't think of it as a subsciption TV back up

EDIT; I've been told that when you sign up, the actual content available is far superior to that list on the website

• Advertisement

RedXIV wrote: »
    Quick one for you guys, I'm thinking about replacing the current UPC TV package with this, but the one thing I can't seem to see is if they have (and please don't laugh, be sympathetic) is the likes of Peppa Pig and other staples of the Nick Junior channel that my 1yr old loves.

Anyone have this and been able to have a look?

Cheers!

This would be an addition to UPC TV, not enough on it to replace it.
    They have Pingu, Hey Arnold, SpongeBob, Wild Thornberrys and Rugrats.

EDIT:
    Some interesting looking documentaries, Bobby Fischer against the world, Paper Clips and The Bridge(little bit icky having read the synopsis on that).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

F1ngers wrote: »
    This would be an addition to UPC TV, not enough on it to replace it.
    They have Pingu, Hey Arnold, SpongeBob, Wild Thornberrys and Rugrats.

EDIT:
    Some interesting looking documentaries, Bobby Fischer against the world, Paper Clips and The Bridge(little bit icky having read the synopsis on that).

Bobby Fisher Against the World is excellent, rented it from iTunes a while back. Waiting for Superman is another great documentary and not sure if it's on it but Religulous is another one worth checking out.

EDIT: And of course King of Kong

They have a whole bunch of Saturday Night Lives from 2010 which I'm going to be checking out definitely, and some good TV series.

Documentaries are definitely the strong suit at the moment - the supposedly superb Interrupters is on the list for the coming week. Some great TV and films in there (from Oldboy and JSA to the Red Shoes to Arrested Development), but the selection is somewhat haphazard.

Better than I had feared, but there's lots of improving to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Really enjoying Arrested Development! Never got around to watching it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

watched fistful of dollars there, good ol' film. Noticed a good film at the very bottom of the list which i saw recently and if you havent seen it before you should, its called Oldboy. The quality is good but needs more content

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I thought this only allowed you to watch on one device, maybe it was due to resuming what i was watching but i started watching doctor who on ps3 then changed to south park and while the ps3 had south park on it i just tried logging in on phone then resumed doctor who.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I haz no netflix icon ?? just pov'RTE and MUBI

:eek:

and Im signed up already online for the months trial

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Stuxnet wrote: »

Are you signed into PSN?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Really enjoying Arrested Development! Never got around to watching it before.

Arrested Development is the best comedy series of the last ten years! I berate you for not watching it sooner but will relent as you're taking steps to make amends! It's one of those rare shows that I still laugh to myself on occasion just remembering lines and moments from it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Stuxnet wrote: »

Mine took a while to appear, I was freaking out a bit too !

Thought it was something to do with me signing up for it on my US account ages ago, it wasn't .

Advertisement