Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Can we play ye in Walsh Park on our next away trip to Waterford?I'd love it if Man From Cheese was made look like an even bigger buffoon than he already is!:D

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

Can we play ye in Walsh Park on our next away trip to Waterford?I'd love it if Man From Cheese was made look like an even bigger buffoon than he already is!:D

why dont you head back to your own county thread, god knows ye have enough problems of ye're own to discuss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

`

well, im not from the city and im not a mt sion man either!! i flew home from abroad for the 08 all ireland and ive been going to see waterford hurl since the 80s so dont try be patronising here at all butty, i know what it is to support waterford and who gave you the right to tell me where and what i can do with my business....
    fact of the matter is, fraher field is a disgrace, ive been to games there and have played there many many times and it is both an awful venue for a spectator as it is a player...i think there was another thread on this forum complaining about fraher field since the cork game, so i know my view is held far and wide....
    im far from pro kk but if you think theyr support just shows up to AI finals your wide off the mark and to be honest, your knowledge or lack thereof of what hurling is about is really telling....
    the game last wk fixed for fraher field had nothing to do with coffers and it certainly wasnt geared towards giving any advantage to waterford so ill leave those reasons for the choosing of venue open to speculation...

Of What i have seen on there, its all about the stewards not doing their job on the day not about whether the game should be played at the venue and if the facilities are up to standard.

Some people seem to give out alot about Fraher Field and speak of Walsh Park as if it is up there with Croke Park, the Emerites, Old Trafford, Anfield etc, lets not forget, that up to fairly recent time the facilities at Walsh Park which lets be honest is our county ground (Fraher Field is our second ground), were far from ideal. You had four small dressing rooms, smaller than the ones in Walsh Park, which teams will have to use next week when a double header is played at the venue. What odds that its the footballers are put in them.

Just to let people know as to why the game with Cork was played in Dungarvan. There is a long standing rule within the county that at least one game in the league would be played in Dungarvan. Its a bye agreed with the clubs in the past and has nothing to do with a county board that as a bias towards the west as some suggest. If people have a problem with this, I would suggest that they get onto their club at its AGM or where ever and get a motion put into the county board seeking that all games are played at Walsh Park. Or would that be a problem to some as I would think that some on here dont have a club and that some tag on to whoever is doing well at a particular time.

That was one person complaining about stewarding, nothing to do with Fraher Field in reality. So far and wide is quite the overstatement.

I've played on Fraher Field several times and always look forward to it, it's a brilliant sod. There's been 4 or 5 games on it since last weekend and everyone that's come off it has talked about the good condition of the pitch is. My only issue with Walsh Park is the surface, which is scandalous. Watch the first 13 seconds even and you will see what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2RxI15zOJg[/QUOTE]

so by showing me that clip, you mean to say fraher field has never been waterlogged? ive certainly played there when its been a complete mudbath...
    in reality that thread has everything to do with fraher field, the stewarding was a problem due to the facilities, the stand couldnt take the crowd that turned up...the dressing rooms are long and narrow and very inadequate for a team to tog out in, theres no room in there, physios usually have to set there tables up in the toilets / shower area, the showers are usually stone cold or they would scald you, theres a dead atmosphere in the ground, certainly as a player anyway, its just not a venue for hurling...walsh park is beautiful in summer, theres always an atmosphere and the dressing rooms are decent, the stand is far bigger also

There is a difference between water logged which can happen in any field, be it a Gaelic Field, a field used for any other sport or if it is used for cows to graze. But one that could could nearly cut tuf on any time there is a shower of rain in a different thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭randd1

I'm sorry, I have to disagree with most all of your narrow city propaganda (and I am cityside)

We are Déise, we are not KK we don't forget the team exists until the AI final ,we work with our team ,we support our team, we wish them well on the street, if the team does well we ,we share them in their successes,and if they lose,we support them even more ,I was on the quay in '08 when 10,000 turned out to welcome the guys home,and I can tell you your type of naysaying doesn't belong,they deserve our support and admiration from clashmore to hookhead .

I support the Déise not only because it's ,my birthright (my upbringing is a little complicated) I do so because every year someone says they'e finished,and are proven wrong, an I take great inspiration from that into my personal life.

If you are more interested in your mt sion/city agenda than the best interests of our team, you have no business here

As a Kilkenny man I would have issue with that.

I don't get where this notion we only turn for the AI comes, our league attendances are as much as anyone else's, which is notable considering we have a smaller population than most. More than that, the amount of people that turn up for club games in Kilkenny is very high. At the Carrickshock/O'Loughlins senior QF last year, there was about 4000 people at the match in Ballyhale, with similar figures for the other QF's and much bigger crowds the games after that. We always get good crowds for our club games.

And as a further point, the 10,000 that turned up for the Waterford side in 08 was a great crowd considering what happened in the final. In 2010, something like 20,000 turned up to welcome the Kilkenny team home, I remember Brian Hogan saying something about the team being really motivated to win the AI in 2011 due to the amount of people to welcome them home after losing, they couldn't believe especially the roars of appreciation and support they got that day after losing.

I can assure you, Kilkenny fans don't forget the team exists until the AI. And while they mightn't go to every county match, the majority of Kilkenny fans will follow their club everywhere, as well as the club scene too. The County Board generate a lot of money as a result, which is part of the reason we have so much success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

If ourselves and say Waterford finish in the bottom two will we be meeting each other to decide who's going on the trip to division 1B?

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

If ourselves and say Waterford finish in the bottom two will we be meeting each other to decide who's going on the trip to division 1B?

Yes, that's the format of the league.

If Waterford beat Kilkenny tomorrow, then its likely that Kilkenny will be one of the relegation "finalists" along with Cork.

IF Waterford win tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

walsh park and fraher field are an embarrassment ......its not the supporters fault its the county and both divisional boards.....of all munster counties we can never play a championship game at home....

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Dickys Back Garden

I'm sorry, I have to disagree with most all of your narrow city propaganda (and I am cityside)

We are Déise, we are not KK we don't forget the team exists until the AI final ,we work with our team ,we support our team, we wish them well on the street, if the team does well we ,we share them in their successes,and if they lose,we support them even more ,I was on the quay in '08 when 10,000 turned out to welcome the guys home,and I can tell you your type of naysaying doesn't belong,they deserve our support and admiration from clashmore to hookhead .

I support the Déise not only because it's ,my birthright (my upbringing is a little complicated) I do so because every year someone says they'e finished,and are proven wrong, an I take great inspiration from that into my personal life.

If you are more interested in your mt sion/city agenda than the best interests of our team, you have no business here

My God! The bias and prejudice that exists towards Mount Sion is incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭carter10

We should be discussing tomorrows game against Kilkenny but yet again pointless posts about this East v West BS. Boring

• Advertisement

doublejj wrote: »
    walsh park and fraher field are an embarrassment ......its not the supporters fault its the county and both divisional boards.....of all munster counties we can never play a championship game at home....

Timmy O'Keffee made a suggestion two or three years ago, but it was thrown out with the path water. Too many people were not thinking when they went against what he had to say.

If a person is a G.A.A. Supporter and a Waterford Supporter and you are drawn for example to play Tipp in the championship, would you prefer to have the game played in Cork and for the Cork County Board to get make €50 or €60k for one days work, or would you prefer to drive up the road to Kilkenny and for the Waterford County Board to get this money, LESS what the Kilkenny County Board would charge in rent.

I dont think the Munster Council would care where the game was played if counties entered in a home and away arrangement with Waterford, so long as the ground that Waterford are putting up to use for day is up to the requirments of the Council and Health and Safety. The Ulster Council have used Croke Park after all for their Football Final a few years ago, and am i right in saying that Kildare played a home NFL game this year in Croke Park.

If an agreement could be reached between the Waterford and Kilkenny Boards as to the use of Nolan Park, why not look into entering a home and away agreement with the likes of Cork, Tipperary and Limerick. There might be a small few fools in the city area and the area around it who would suggest that under dead bodies no Waterford game should be played in Kilkenny, but feck this lot. We should be doing what is good for Waterford G.A.A. and forget all about the Waterford/Kilkenny thing that some people take for ever too serious.

sad state of affairs that we have no proper county ground, it would have paid for itself after a few years, where carriganore complex is would have been ideal due to access and proximity...ah well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

Makes no sense that waterford gaa didnt develop a modern stadium a few years ago. It would be possible to do it even cheaper now than then. Have to say i have been at munster hurling matches in limerick, cork, killarney and thurles but never at a game in waterford.

Surely it would benefit all round to develop a stadium? The team would have modern facilities and the public would have a developed grounds.The broader local economy-the pubs,restaurants and so on would benefit from an influx of hurling or gaelic football followers every summer. It could be developed in or around the city and at other times could be used by the college or for county finals etc. It is possible if the demand is there for it.

Could the present walsh park or fraher field be developed to an adequate standard or rebuilt to accomodate comfortably a large crowd of 30 or 40k ?

varberg wrote: »
    Makes no sense that waterford gaa didnt develop a modern stadium a few years ago. It would be possible to do it even cheaper now than then. Have to say i have been at munster hurling matches in limerick, cork, killarney and thurles but never at a game in waterford.

Surely it would benefit all round to develop a stadium? The team would have modern facilities and the public would have a developed grounds.The broader local economy-the pubs,restaurants and so on would benefit from an influx of hurling or gaelic football followers every summer. It could be developed in or around the city and at other times could be used by the college or for county finals etc. It is possible if the demand is there for it.

Could the present walsh park or fraher field be developed to an adequate standard or rebuilt to accomodate comfortably a large crowd of 30 or 40k ?

waterford co board is broke and in massive debt, theres no hope of a new stadium for the forseable future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

varberg wrote: »

answer me this, why do we need a 30/40k stadium? there are 4 other stadiums in munster of that size and realistically how often are they anyway near full? thurles maybe a couple times a year the others maybe once every couple years. at the moment it wouldnt make any sense to pump money into a new state of the art stadium its far from our priorities and unfortunately we dont have a jp mcmanus to 'gift' us one. of course id be all for an upgrade of walsh park or fraher, or even redevelop facilities at carriganore and get wit to row in behind us. (relations with wit are important as a lot of our players enter third level there) i know it sounds glamorous having a state of the art stadium to be proud of but it didnt make economic sense in the good times certainly not now. just because other counties hve invested dosent necessarily essential for us to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Was the team for todays match posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭IanVW

Waterford Senior Hurling Team to play Kilkenny on Monday in Nowlan Park at 2.00pm in Round 3 of the Allianz Hurling League (Div. 1A)
    1. Stephen O’Keeffe Ballygunner
    2. Shane Fives Carrigtwohill
    3. Liam Lawlor Fourmilewater
    4. Stephen Daniels De La Salle
    5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan
    6. Michael Walsh Stradbally
    7. Kevin Moran (CAPT.) De La Salle
    8. Shane O’Sullivan Ballygunner
    9. Darragh Fives Tourin
    10. Brian O’Halloran Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    11. Seamus Prendergast Ardmore
    12. Jake Dillon De La Salle
    13 Brian O’Sullivan Ballygunner
    14. Shane Walsh Fourmilewater
    15. Pauric Mahony Ballygunner

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Expect Paudie Prendergast to start ahead of Daragh Fives. Daragh isn't fit enough to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Not far off our Championship 15 Id say. Maybe Nagle dropped for Connors and Fives or Daniels to wingback. Possibly Maurice in for O Halloran too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Not far off our Championship 15 Id say. Maybe Nagle dropped for Connors and Fives or Daniels to wingback. Possibly Maurice in for O Halloran too?

Nah I'd say O Halloran won't be dropped if he keep playing the way he's playing. Brian Sully and Mahony are more in threat than any of the other forwards at the moment.

• Advertisement

How much would it cost to re-develop Walsh Park to a 30,000 capacity stadium (which would be about right for a county of Waterford's population)?

Say they decided to go ahead and do that, there's a novel way of paying for it, and I think it was actually a club in Waterford (Portlaw I think it was) that came up with this payment scheme a few years ago when they redeveloped their club grounds.

Rather than having the club go into debt over the rebuilding, they got 100 people a week from the local area and involved with the club to give a fiver every week for a few years. Works out at gathering €500 a week, which is 26,000 a year.

Now say the Waterford CB had the same idea, and say 2,000 fans from within the county got involved in the same type of scheme (I imagine that level of support would be there in Waterford) and give a tenner a week for 10 years which works out at €500 a year per person, then Waterford would be able to generate €20,000 a week, which is about a million a year, €10 million overall. Throw in the carrot of a free entry for league games and a free ticket to the first championship game every year, as well as having tickets reserved for them first if they get to Croke Park.

Not sure it would work but worth thinking about all the same. Waterford do need a new stadium, maybe not a 30,000 capacity stadium, maybe only a 22,000 capacity stadium, but they need a new one. Its a pity that Waterford are about the only major hurling county that could never play home Championship games because the stadium is too small to hold a crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I think the Couty Board's immediate focus has to be servicing the 750,000 euro debt. I believe we secured a 1 million euro loan from what was being said here a few months ago. So we need to be able to repay that, and hten generate the funds to ensure that interested players don't have to suffer the farce that the u21 panel had to deal with (or indeed any prospective young footballer).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

robopaddy wrote: »
    answer me this, why do we need a 30/40k stadium?

Vanity.

Nah I'd say O Halloran won't be dropped if he keep playing the way he's playing. Brian Sully and Mahony are more in threat than any of the other forwards at the moment.

Good shout on Sully. Thought Mahony might be kept in for his free taking through personally I'd have Dillon on them, Just don't trust Maurice or Mahony at this level myself.

I'd rather the CB kept their money for radical ideas like organsing actual training sessions for the underage footballers than building a white elepahnt county ground that'd be filled maybe once every 3/4 years. Theres already too many spanking new grounds that barely get used in Munster.

The use of Nowlan Park was a decent idea but was always going to be too forward thinking an radical for the neanderthals running county affairs in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

I'd rather the CB kept their money for radical ideas like organsing actual training sessions for the underage footballers than building a white elepahnt county ground that'd be filled maybe once every 3/4 years. Theres already too many spanking new grounds that barely get used in Munster.

The use of Nowlan Park was a decent idea but was always going to be too forward thinking an radical for the neanderthals running county affairs in Waterford.
    Clubs elect club committees.
    Club committees make decisions and go to meetings held by county board.
    The club delegates vote on everything which is proposed by the board.
    The co board is voted by club delegates.

Maybe we should stop bashing the county board - take a look at ourselves and elect some club delegates who are young, forward thinking and smart. This is the only way to change the county board.

Anyone consider we're better without Mullane? People stepping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Up by 2pts, 0-11 to 1-6 at HT, come on lads keep it going. Doing very well but apparently a poor goal to concede resulting from SOK giving a poor puckout straight to a KK forward and he duly buried so could be further ahead.

Better team first half tho, keep kicking on lads.

I think there's a strong breeze in favour of KK this half?

W 0-12
    KK 1-9

[edit]

Waterford 0-14
    Kilkenny 1-9
    46 Mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Wasnt at the match and didnt get to listen either, were the 2 goals Kilkenny scored a result of goalkeeping errors? Looks like we led for 60 mins of the 70.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement