Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Daily Mail article On Ireland - Food For Thought!

Options
  • 23-01-2009 2:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭

I know the Mail is not the best reporting in the world but I came across a writers views in it on Ireland.
    Its certainly interesting reading - if not an eye opener!

One quote! :eek:
    'Ireland Co Ltd is no longer a going concern. All that was built up has been squandered by an immoral and lazy Government, by a corrupt business class. This is a sick, diseased, wretched and immoral corner of Europe. Self-government for the Irish is merely an excuse to thieve, to lie, to indulge in corruption, to destroy everything that is precious and beautiful. The most enchanting landscapes in Ireland have been covered in bungalows. This is a land without any values.'
    :eek:

Link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1126636/MARY-ELLEN-SYNON-There-IS-country-worse--Ireland-destroyed-obscene-greed--Euro.html

I DON'T agree with a lot of her opinions. Right now with the above quote in my mind, I want to slap her for SOME of her too broad generalisations! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Maybe she should wait a few years to see if the UK staying out of the Euro is as good an idea as she thinks?

Barring all that, I think she's complaining we are too like the UK?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Biggins wrote: »
    I know the Mail is not the best reporting in the world but I came across a writers views in it on Ireland.
    Its certainly interesting reading - if not an eye opener!

One quote! :eek:

:eek:

Link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1126636/MARY-ELLEN-SYNON-There-IS-country-worse--Ireland-destroyed-obscene-greed--Euro.html

I DON'T agree with a lot of her opinions. Right now with the above quote in my mind, I want to slap her for SOME of her too broad generalisations! :mad:

She seams like a stable well balanced individual with wonderful journalistic skills.... mmmm...

Quote Wiki

In 1995 Synon made headlines in the British and Irish press over her affair with Mr Rupert Pennant-Rea, the deputy governor of the Bank of England. Pennant-Rea subsequently resigned. Synon went to the press when he called time on the dalliance, with contradictory statements. According to the Sunday Tribune, she said: 'Yes, I adored him. Yes, I was in love with him.'[ She told The Guardian: 'I hate the bugger. 'If you're going to dump, don't dump a financial journalist when you're Deputy Governor of the Bank of England. That's dumb.' She was nicknamed 'the Bonk of England' by tabloid newspapers after she disclosed that she and Pennant-Rea had had sex on the governor's dressing room floor at the Bank. The then governor Sir Eddie George allegedly had the carpet cut up.

ALSO: Wiki again

In the article, she wrote: 'It is time to suggest that these so-called Paralympics . . . are - well, one hesitates to say "grotesque". One will only say "perverse"…Surely physical competition is about finding the best - the fastest, strongest, highest, all that. It is not about finding someone who can wobble his way around a track in a wheelchair, or who can swim from one end of a pool to the other by Braille.'[10] She advised the disabled and blind to 'play to your competitive advantage' and added: 'In other words, Stephen Hawking shows his wisdom by staying out of the three-legged race.'

Interesting woman... SHE'S A LOONEY!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Ellen_Synon

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

The mail is a rag. It has less truth to it than the book of Scientology

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Aye... Frakin' Mail for you :rolleyes:

There is some truth but she is way overboard in areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

What she says os kinda true though even if she is a brit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good read. The nouveau riche/bankers/developers has to carry their share of the blame but also the reckless lending and borrowing for things we don't really need.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

'Ireland Co Ltd is no longer a going concern. All that was built up has been squandered by an immoral and lazy Government, by a corrupt business class. This is a sick, diseased, wretched and immoral corner of Europe. Self-government for the Irish is merely an excuse to thieve, to lie, to indulge in corruption, to destroy everything that is precious and beautiful.

Sounds about right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

Your all just pished because she's writing for a UK paper.
    starflake wrote: »
    In the article, she wrote: 'It is time to suggest that these so-called Paralympics . . . are - well, one hesitates to say "grotesque". One will only say "perverse"…Surely physical competition is about finding the best - the fastest, strongest, highest,

Then should there not be female competitors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

She is not worth a thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I think she is of Irish descent. Obviously Mary Ellen is angry as she was hunted out of ireland.

• Advertisement

Mingey wrote: »
    Your all just pished because she's writing for a UK paper.

I'm personally annoyed if only she says "This is a sick, diseased, wretched and immoral corner of Europe."
    - I mean, come on... and the rest of frakin' Europe is clean and snow white!!!

She does have some good points but to apply broad generalisations and say that we are all without values, I find that as a parent bringing up children with good manners and and decorum VERY insulting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Mary Ellen Synon is a professional controversialist - she is paid to outrage people, so don't get outraged. The language she uses is so laughably OTT it couldn't be more obvious that she's just stirring up sh1t.

Some of what she says may be applicable (if rewritten in a far more toned down manner), most of it is exaggerated generalisations.

I presume the following two idiotic responses will be quite prevalent in this thread:

"Typical west Brit propaganda"
    "It's true. I've never been so ashamed to be Irish" (because of course if you're Irish you're responsible for bad stuff that comes out of this country).

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

The article is typical of a eurosceptic the same people that pushed for the No to lisbon vote i.e. the euro/EU is to blame for all our woes :rolleyes: and not the greedy fcukers

If you read the article the quote was actually from an email she received from an IRISHMAN..............

Many mourn the destruction of that other Ireland. On my Euroseptic blog here on the Debate page, you can read an email I recently received from an Irishman in despair over what has happened to his country.

Here is just part of what he wrote: 'You live in Brussels, so you don't see the empty restaurants, the deserted shopping centres, the departing Poles. You don't catch the fear in people's voices.

'Ireland Co Ltd is no longer a going concern. All that was built up has been squandered by an immoral and lazy Government, by a corrupt business class. This is a sick, diseased, wretched and immoral corner of Europe. Self-government for the Irish is merely an excuse to thieve, to lie, to indulge in corruption, to destroy everything that is precious and beautiful. The most enchanting landscapes in Ireland have been covered in bungalows. This is a land without any values.'

True but then by her posting it in the paper, she is espousing the sentiment and carrying it forwards...
    She clearly has a chip on her shoulder about something.

I suspect we will never see her work for the Times!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

Anyone who has read MES over the years knows the "quality"
    of her journalistic skills.
    Basically she gets a thing in her head and tries to
    ram it down your throat with (very often) flawed argument.
    She is also the most patronising arrogant and self important
    journo since the late CCOB was telling us poor ignoramuses
    how we should be thinking 20 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well the Times did employ another professional sh1t-stirrer - Kevin Myers.

biko wrote: »
    Good read. The nouveau riche/bankers/developers has to carry their share of the blame but also the reckless lending and borrowing for things we don't really need.

Indeed, if most of us didn't buy the clearly overpriced houses and want the brand new 4*4 etc. this all wouldn't have happened. Does show most of us are sheep though! :D
    togster wrote: »
    What she says os kinda true though even if she is a brit

:D
    Biggins wrote: »
    I'm personally annoyed if only she says "This is a sick, diseased, wretched and immoral corner of Europe."
    - I mean, come on... and the rest of frakin' Europe is clean and snow white!!!

She does have some good points but to apply broad generalisations and say that we are all without values, I find that as a parent bringing up children with good manners and and decorum VERY insulting!

Ach it's the Mail. I buy it for a laugh.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

She's probably Kevin Myers' cousin :rolleyes:

Seanies32 wrote: »
    Ach it's the Mail. I buy it for a laugh.

True - there's not even a decent page three! :o

If you read the article the quote was actually from an email she received from an IRISHMAN..............

+1

Wanted to make that point. The rest of the article is mild enough, and she seems upset at the loss of old Ireland.

Wikipedia describes Synon as Irish-American but she went to university in Ireland, and has clearly lived here since. So she has a right to talk about this kind of stuff.

The comments are not anti-Irish, more or less anti-European.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Europhobic paddy bashing? Tis a veritable melange of Mail stapels.....All we need in there is Romanian Wife Eaters trafficking puppy farms for a sex shop and the whole dish is complete....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Dudess wrote: »
    Mary Ellen Synon is a professional controversialist - she is paid to outrage people, so don't get outraged.
    Well said. She was ran out of town on a rail after her disgraceful comments regarding the Special Olympics and I doubt that she'd ever find freelance work in this country again.

manc wrote: »
    The article is typical of a eurosceptic the same people that pushed for the No to lisbon vote i.e. the euro/EU is to blame for all our woes :rolleyes: and not the greedy fcukers

Yep, WE mismanaged our economy, nothing to do with the Euro.

Funny, she ignores that France seems to be the model of dealing with the current crisis, not the UK. Suppose it would rather undermine her argument!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Nodin wrote: »
    Europhobic paddy bashing? Tis a veritable melange of Mail stapels.....All we need in there is Romanian Wife Eaters trafficking puppy farms for a sex shop and the whole dish is complete....
    You've neglected to mention whether this either cures or causes cancer.

Have to get the full set of Mail themes in...

Nodin wrote: »

You forgot claiming our monies!

Yep, WE mismanaged our economy, nothing to do with the Euro.

We mismanaged by joining the Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

Ach it's the Mail. I buy it for a laugh.[/quote]

I use it to clean my ass since money got scarce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

Did she say 20 percent unemployment? She can f'uck off, thats too depressing, even for me.

asdasd wrote: »
    We mismanaged by joining the Euro.

Iceland mismanaged theirs by not joining it. How we and them fecked our economies has nothing to do with the Euro.

It could well be our saviour in a few years time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Well, I wouldn't call it a "sick, diseased, wretched and immoral corner of Europe." but everything else she says is 100% spot on.

All that was built up has been squandered by an immoral and lazy Government -> Yes

by a corrupt business class. -> Definitely yes

Self-government for the Irish is merely an excuse to thieve, to lie, to indulge in corruption -> Absolutely yes.

Gained our independence only to devolve into this so called "culture", a poor carbon copy of British culture with more scumbags thrown in, with the so called "politicians", I won't even bother talking about, in the so called "country" we have today.

I know the majority of Irish people are decent, the problem is the 40%+ that are complete scum, completely immoral and completely corrupt only interested in furthering their own agenda's in life.

At least if you go to somewhere like the states they have a decent police force and at least when corruption sees the light of day it actually matters! Here the more corrupt a politician is, the more popular he is.

Advertisement