Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drinking during pregnancy!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I didn't drink during my pregnancy at all. I was a social drinker before i was pregnant and i didn't find it difficult in the slightest to give up but i wanted to eliminate as many risks as possible from my lifestyle. I think the idea is with drinking is that its advised but not insisted to give it up but some people don't give up drinking or smoking, to be honest i find it a shocking sight to see a noticably pregnant woman doing either. A woman who has just left our office to have a baby smoked the whole way through and many people (admittedly men mostly) were disgusted with it. It can be very hard for a woman to give something up during pregnancy as pregnancy is such foreign territory anyway. I would expect any man who insisted his pregnant partner should give up drinking/smoking to do the same himself.

At the end of the day how i felt was if i did drink during pregnancy and if something happened to the baby (whether it was to do with drink or not) the guilt would be far worse than giving up the drink, safe not sorry attitude!

Good luck with your pregnancy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

As my sister-in-law said on the 1st one she didn't, on the 2nd she had maybe 2 spritzers throughout the nine months, on the 3rd she had maybe one spritzer every 2-3 weeks, a special dinner or celebration etc. As a doctor said to a friend of mine, he had a patient with a huge drug habit, with 6 kids, so he saw an occasional spritzer as absolutely no problem.
    Totally up to mum, and if dad really wants to express an opinion, so long as we are only talking very moderate, then maybe he shoud also give up for the nine months ;) Remember mum isn't just an oven for the babe but also still a person in her own right :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

So what's the point of one beer/spritzer? Everyone knows people only drink for effect & if you can feel the effect your baby's developing body surely can. Don't know how people are willing to drink or smoke with a their own developing child depending on their body for nutrition.
    quality wrote:
    Could you find a more scaremongering site....

I presume you dont drink at all... Looking at the side effects that this site is showing... You would be mad too.

Whatever about the site, the paper's a scientifically controlled study. You really sound like you're trying to justify drinking whilst pregnant to yourself.

Given the paper says light drinking affects the memory/brain the second trimester might be the most dangerous time to be drinking.

I wonder what effect being drunk during conception has on the child :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

barbiegirl wrote: »
    As a doctor said to a friend of mine, he had a patient with a huge drug habit, with 6 kids, so he saw an occasional spritzer as absolutely no problem.
    Remember mum isn't just an oven for the babe but also still a person in her own right :-)

so because the doctor dealt with someone who took heroin while pregnant they felt drink was ok? Right....

The mother is a person in her own right but when she takes a drink the child is taken the drink also.

If she smokes she forces the unborn child to smoke, the child doesn't have a choice the mother does.

Whatever about the site, the paper's a scientifically controlled study.

This is a very important point, the paper wasn't written by a few anal mothers.

Ah they're only PHD's what would they know ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭HoneyButterfly

So what's the point of one beer/spritzer? Everyone knows people only drink for effect & if you can feel the effect your baby's developing body surely can. Don't know how people are willing to drink or smoke with a their own developing child depending on their body for nutrition.

Whatever about the site, the paper's a scientifically controlled study. You really sound like you're trying to justify drinking whilst pregnant to yourself.

Given the paper says light drinking affects the memory/brain the second trimester might be the most dangerous time to be drinking.

I wonder what effect being drunk during conception has on the child :eek:

I think you made some really good points here. Why bother to drink? People do drink for the effect. And if it isn't for the effect then go get a non-alcoholic beer or wine.
    Interesting point made about conception during pregnancy! Makes you wonder....might be some papers written on it, might go look it up now

To clarify on my response, I at all times said moderately. No need for such strong reactions. 1 spritzer every few weeks, not a bottle of whiskey every night.

barbiegirl wrote: »
    To clarify on my response, I at all times said moderately. No need for such strong reactions. 1 spritzer every few weeks, not a bottle of whiskey every night.

but why bother with the 1? is it going to do anything for you?

by pouring 7 up into wine you're hardly drinking it for taste you just ruined the wine, just have the 7 up

it's 9 months, not for life, for 9 months

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists conducted a study of over 400,000 women, all of whom had consumed alcohol during pregnancy. No case of fetal alcohol syndrome occurred and no adverse effects on children were found when consumption was under 8.5 drinks per week. A review of research studies found that fetal alcohol syndrome only occurred among alcoholics. No apparent risk to a child occurred when pregnant women consumes no more than one drink per day.
    A study of pregnancies in eight European countries found that consuming no more than one drink per day did not appear to have any effect on fetal growth. A follow-up of children at 18 months of age found that those from women who drank during pregnancy, even two drinks per day, scored higher in several areas of development. An analysis of seven medical research studies involving over 130,000 pregnancies found that consuming two to 14 drinks per week did not increase the risk of giving birth to a child with either malformations or fetal alcohol syndrome.

ntlbell wrote: »
    but why bother with the 1? is it going to do anything for you?

I dont know why you bother to drink at all,,, after reading your scientific reports from that site...:eek:

• Advertisement

Quality wrote: »
    I dont know why you bother to drink at all,,, after reading your scientific reports from that site...:eek:

I never said I drank.

Just incase you missed it earlier

"Whatever about the site, the paper's a scientifically controlled study."

The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists conducted a study of over 400,000 women, all of whom had consumed alcohol during pregnancy. No case of fetal alcohol syndrome occurred and no adverse effects on children were found when consumption was under 8.5 drinks per week. A review of research studies found that fetal alcohol syndrome only occurred among alcoholics. No apparent risk to a child occurred when pregnant women consumes no more than one drink per day.
    A study of pregnancies in eight European countries found that consuming no more than one drink per day did not appear to have any effect on fetal growth. A follow-up of children at 18 months of age found that those from women who drank during pregnancy, even two drinks per day, scored higher in several areas of development. An analysis of seven medical research studies involving over 130,000 pregnancies found that consuming two to 14 drinks per week did not increase the risk of giving birth to a child with either malformations or fetal alcohol syndrome.

This is all well and good, no one is stating that FAS/FES will be caused by small amounts of alcohol these are generally caused by heavy drinking...

So the above is irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭jaffa20

It's the mother's choice. Her life and her baby. Yes drinking and smoking may be harmful but we never hear anything about the chemical ridden food that covers our local supermarket shelves. These can be just as harmful if not more.

Quality it sounds more like you're advocating drinking during pregnancy rather than asking for opinions. I would imagine if drinking helped the baby or made no difference then a lot more women would drink during pregnancy as it is it is only advised not insisted so you really are free to make your own choice.

I never said I drank.

Just incase you missed it earlier

"Whatever about the site, the paper's a scientifically controlled study."

Oh you never answered my question when I asked it to you, Perhaps you could answer it now.

Yes Interesting site with interesting papers.
    This is all well and good, no one is stating that FAS/FES will be caused by small amounts of alcohol these are generally caused by heavy drinking...

So the above is irrelevant

The studys were on alcohol during pregnancies. The first study concentrated on FAS, the others were for any developmental issues.

Relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭HoneyButterfly

A study of pregnancies in eight European countries found that consuming no more than one drink per day did not appear to have any effect on fetal growth. A follow-up of children at 18 months of age found that those from women who drank during pregnancy, even two drinks per day, scored higher in several areas of development.

Thats all a bit vague I think. Scored higher in whats areas of development??! And what were they drinking? If they were all drinking the same thing, it could hae been something else in that drink that was attributing to the higher scores in development (ie.it might not have been the alcohol itself...because I'm presuming medical professional would certainly not conduct the study using spirits?? Which also asks the question of how ethical are these studies?)
    And there is no reference there, could you give me one please? I'm not asking that in a patrionising way, I am actually interested in looking it up

Jaffa where did you hear that?

LolaDub wrote: »
    Quality it sounds more like you're advocating drinking during pregnancy rather than asking for opinions. I would imagine if drinking helped the baby or made no difference then a lot more women would drink during pregnancy as it is it is only advised not insisted so you really are free to make your own choice.

I am not advocating drinking at all, I just dont like the comments ntlbell has made saying any amount of alcohol not matter how small is going to put your unborn child at a severe risk.

I am absolutely pro choice for women and hate scare mongering... Its a womans choice for what she puts in her body, and I do not believe that what Ntl has stated is 100% accurate, I think that the larger picture needs to be seen and then women can make an informed choice.

Oh you never answered my question when I asked it to you, Perhaps you could answer it now.

Yes Interesting site with interesting papers.

The studys were on alcohol during pregnancies. The first study concentrated on FAS, the others were for any developmental issues.

Relevant.

So one study says it found nothing one said it did..

If I was a pregnant woman that would be enough doubt for me to not bother.

Yes, I drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭jaffa20

LolaDub wrote: »
    Jaffa where did you hear that?

Everyone knows that convenience food is ridden with E numbers, colourings etc.

Even french food has been spayed with chemicals to bring about growth.

• Advertisement

I am not advocating drinking at all, I just dont like the comments ntlbell has made saying any amount of alcohol not matter how small is going to put your unborn child at a severe risk.

I am absolutely pro choice for women and hate scare mongering... Its a womans choice for what she puts in her body, and I do not believe that what Ntl has stated is 100% accurate, I think that the larger picture needs to be seen and then women can make an informed choice.

I didn't say any amount of alcohol puts the child at severe risk at all.

But there's a risk and like everything else you mentioned picking up your child walking up a flight of stairs etc all risk's but they're risks you generally have to take as you have to live your life.

no one NEEDS to have a drink so there for I think it's undue risk and can be avoided.

I'm not trying to scare monger at all and if my partner chose to drink while she was pregnant I wouldn't have dreamnt of trying to stop her the same way I'm not trying to stop you or scare you into not drinking.

I'm not "stating" anything I'm just pointing you to information what you choose to do with it is absloutley none of my buisness.

Jaffa i was referring to food causing baby damage. Theres additives even in babies food?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Drinking 1 drink every few months throughout a pregnancy just seems pointless to me. You're getting absolutely nothing out of it and you KNOW that it isn't exactly ideal for the baby.

So really, what's the point?

From doctor's? consultant's when my OH had our first?

But I would of thought it would be common sense....

although small amounts may not to be as a big an issue later on, I dont think their's a safe time to think it's 9 months this a human being.

the list of complications and learning difficulties etc that can be caused even from very small amounts is just not worth it

whats the point in having one beer?

you can wrap it up anyway you want the simple fact is it's safer to _not_ drink and i just wouldn't take that risk with my child for the sake of a drink

quoted

quoted

yes?

Even small amounts amount to a risk.....

i thought we were past this...

And there is no reference there, could you give me one please? I'm not asking that in a patrionising way, I am actually interested in looking it up
      <LI id=cite_note-49>
    ^ Streissguth AP, et al. (1994). "Prenatal alcohol and offspring development: the first fourteen years". Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 36(2), 89-99. PMID 7851285 <LI id=cite_note-50>^ Wilkie, S. Global overview of drinking recommendations and guidelines. AIM Digest (Supplement), June, 1997, 2-4, p. 4 <LI id=cite_note-51>^ Abel, E. "Moderate" drinking during pregnancy: cause for concern? Clinica Chimica Acta, 1996, 246, 149-154 <LI id=cite_note-52>^ Forrest, F., and du Florey, C. Reported social alcohol consumption during pregnancy and infants' development at 18 months. British Medical Journal, 1991, 303, 22-26
    [*]^ du Florey, D., et al. A European concerted action: maternal alcohol consumption and its relation to the outcome of pregnancy and development at 18 months. International Journal of Epidemiology, 1992, 21 (Supplement #1)
    Happy browsing

Ok I posted this to see what other peoples opinions are. So why dont we lets see what other peoples opinions are, rather than hijacking the thread.

It is clear that I personally think that moderate drinking is ok.

And it is clear that you think that abstinence is the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Personally I don't see a probelm with a glass of wine every few weeks. My wife had 2 glasses during her pregnancy I think and I had no problem with it.

And it was not about the effect of alcohol. We were at a couple of parties and she wanted to feel like a "normal" person for half an hour and relax and not let everything be about being pregnant and the soon to arrive twins (don't flame me for saying normal..couldn't think of a proper word for it).
    She was being very careful in every way throughout the pregnancy with food and what she was doing etc etc so I fully understood and had no problem with it as I said. We thought of it as a stress reliever which is needed.

I can understand people who abhor the idea but you must remember quality that pregnancy/child raising are very emotive topics. People tend to post things on here in a very dogmatic way sometimes and they come across as if they are saying my way or the highway. They generally don't mean it like this and are just trying to give advice from their own experience though. It is very hard to get correct tone into a typed message so it can easily end up in "differences of opinion" unnecessarily.

Not offering any scientific evidence to back up anything I say here...it is simply my opinion.

Ludo you speak sense :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I used to share the view of zero tolerance to alcohol during pregnancy until recently. A number of credible studies have shown that limited alcohol intake has negligble risk although all studies say no alcohol should be consumed in the first 3 months. At the same time if I was a woman and pregnant I wouldn't drink at all

Advertisement