Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

It would be more pleasing on the eye if you would add some XP themes to it :)

Also, it's not prompting me to save numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭The Kid

following on from this thread, i made a new desktop based texting program.

Very impressive application Commander. Well done - it boasts an impressive feature set.
    the AFT server is being taken down soon so the desktop based clients JSMS and multitext will stop working.

This is partly true. JSMS relies on the AFT server for sending texts on the Vodafone and O2 networks. But it talks directly to the Meteor website and will continue to work for Meteor customers regardless of what happens AFT.
    the guy who wrote JSMS is on a round the world trip
    This is true. However, JSMS is still being supported and developed and we have just released a new version which can be found here: http://jsmsirl.sourceforge.net

Details are available in this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055169923

We are obviously very interested in what happens to AFT. I've tried to determine what is happening from all the various posts/threads, but I'm still unclear about the bigger picture. In a nutshell it seems like the AFT server is about to disappear. But I'm not sure if this is already decided, or if there are plans to have it saved or replaced. Is there anything that I or fbradyirl can do to help with the AFT project? We are both Java developers (mostly backend stuff) and would consider helping out in whatever way we can (within reason - like yourselves we do this all for free and time is often scarce).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Doesn't seem to want to work for me.

EDIT
    Never mind, got it working.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Tried several times today but cannot get it to download, is there an alternative url?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Have added a second link to the file in my sig if geocities is down
    BTW C.V. thats a nice app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

thanks whisht :)

i must get a better url. geocities sucks balls. by the way, i realised today that if you set it not to use the server then you can only send up to 160 characters with vodafone and 306 with meteor. i'll get to fixing it but its half 3 so not now :)

whisht wrote: »
    Have added a second link to the file in my sig if geocities is down
    BTW C.V. thats a nice app

Thanks was able to download it.

i must get a better url. geocities sucks balls. by the way, i realised today that if you set it not to use the server then you can only send up to 160 characters with vodafone and 306 with meteor. i'll get to fixing it but its half 3 so not now :)

Maybe you can check box.net for storage and sharing the file.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭dubmick

excuse my ignorance here but what is the point of this app, does it just use your webtext allowance?

Hi

Very nice program, A new feature will be to be able to import phonebook from Text Buddy.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

If you want I can ask the admin of a site I'm a moderator on to host this for you?

Its an Xbox360 site but the guy who runs it is sound and will probably not have problems hosting this for you or maybe allowing a server to be run off it.

He's offered to let me host stuff on the site before and given other people space for blogs.

Should say, PM me if you want to talk about it.

• Advertisement

brim4brim wrote: »
    If you want I can ask the admin of a site I'm a moderator on to host this for you?

Its an Xbox360 site but the guy who runs it is sound and will probably not have problems hosting this for you or maybe allowing a server to be run off it.

He's offered to let me host stuff on the site before and given other people space for blogs.

Should say, PM me if you want to talk about it.

sounds good. i'll do that asap but at the moment i've more pressing concerns. meteor have changed their site and its stopped working :eek:

That's fine, any chance of getting the program to track the number of free texts you have left or something like that.

brim4brim wrote: »
    That's fine, any chance of getting the program to track the number of free texts you have left or something like that.
    It gives the total remaining when you send a msg from what I can see.

dubmick wrote: »
    excuse my ignorance here but what is the point of this app, does it just use your webtext allowance?

yes. basically you don't have to log in and i has a proper phonebook and you can write long texts and a few other things
    nava wrote: »
    Hi

Very nice program, A new feature will be to be able to import phonebook from Text Buddy.

Thanks
    if you could send me an example phonebook file from text buddy i'll implement it.

meteor have done something really really crazy to their site and i don't know if i'll be able to figure it out. fingers crossed

it does tell you how many messages you have left, when it works

Cool, I only used it once so far to test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

ill implement the new meteor code within the next 2-3 days sorry for the delay but ive been extremely busy over the last few days.

Its simple on implementing it, vodafone has the same system. Get the ammount of webtexts remaining, send the message, check if it sent (the site will say its busy sending) and then subtract 1 from the webtexts and return that.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭The Kid

i must get a better url. geocities sucks balls.

I'd recommend http://www.sourceforge.net. Commander Vimes, I'm sure you're already familiar with the site, but for readers that are not, sourceforge is a site specifically for hosting opensource projects and encouraging collaboration on those projects. It provides forums, bug and feature request trackers, subversion (or cvs) hosting and multiple download mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

i didnt see it answered in the thread though i could be blind,multitext used to let you send 3 texts in one go,how many can you send with your program?

I was all prepared to be cynical and scoff at your program but really out does multitext which i loved and is the bee knees. If we are ever at boards meetup i'll buy you a pint ;)

ronano wrote: »
    i didnt see it answered in the thread though i could be blind,multitext used to let you send 3 texts in one go,how many can you send with your program?

I was all prepared to be cynical and scoff at your program but really out does multitext which i loved and is the bee knees. If we are ever at boards meetup i'll buy you a pint ;)
    how do you mean it would let you send 3 in one go? do you mean group texting? you just type your message and press the group button

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

I meant you could type in multitext up to 3 texts worth of info and send it to a single contact. They would recieve the 3 texts one by one though,is it 3 in your program or more?

The only thing i would add to your program would be it would tell you how many texts your characters take up.

ronano wrote: »
    I meant you could type in multitext up to 3 texts worth of info and send it to a single contact. They would recieve the 3 texts one by one though,is it 3 in your program or more?

The only thing i would add to your program would be it would tell you how many texts your characters take up.

ah i understand you now. i've been working on it today coincidentally and now you can send as many messages as you want. it doesn't limit you at 3.

and just now when i read your post i added a thing to tell you how many messages you're sending :)

today i also fixed the client side code for meteor which turned out to be a lot easier than i thought it was going to be and i made the interface for sending vodafone messages client side a lot better. you might notice that the program doesn't shut down and restart when it sends a vodafone message anymore. it'll make very little difference to the end user but its just made better :)

unfortunately, a client side o2 system still eludes me but you can still use the server option for it

anyway, for anyone who doesn't have the link, here it is

http://geocities.com/cabbagetexter/cabbage.zip

as always, there's a lot of new code so let me know about any bugs

i found a small bug after i uploaded it so if you already downloaded it, please download it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Link in my sig updated also

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

in

yet another update. i improved the phone book interface. you can either type a phone number or a person's name and all the phone book entries that match what you've currently typed appear in a drop down list. then you can press down to select one off the list or double click it.

for example, if you have the names ciara and ciaran in your phone book and you type cia, both of the names appear on the list and you can select one.

if you type 087, all 087 entries appear etc

yet another update. i improved the phone book interface. you can either type a phone number or a person's name and all the phone book entries that match what you've currently typed appear in a drop down list. then you can press down to select one off the list or double click it.

for example, if you have the names ciara and ciaran in your phone book and you type cia, both of the names appear on the list and you can select one.

if you type 087, all 087 entries appear etc

Vimes has nothing to do with his life but coding. The features keep on coming :D

Hi

Is that the only place to get the latest file from? again not response, if the file is under 100kb you can attach it in Boards.

Regards

I just downloaded from that address and it worked fine.

• Advertisement

ciaranfo wrote: »
    I just downloaded from that address and it worked fine.

What is your ISP? mine is NTL, wonder does it have anything to do with that, because it was the same before?

Advertisement