Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lads Holiday in Thailand

Options
  • 04-05-2010 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭

Im going to Thailand in 4 weeks. Were staying in Bangkok for 2 nights and then flying out to Koh Samui and planning on spending 10 days between Koh Samui and islands around there. Its me and 4 other lads so alot of boozing will be done but we do want to do some activities like diving, snorkeling, etc. What would you recommend?
    Also, we have no accomadation booked yet. We will probably book a hotel for the first 2 nights in Bangkok and the first night in Koh Samui. Should we be more organised and book a few more nights or are we better off waiting till we get over there? Any recomendations welcome......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

It would be no harm to have the Bangkok accommodation booked at least before you head out, that way you are not running around in the Bangkok heat looking for a place to crash. Once you arrive you can plan on booking a place to stay on the islands.
    Samui is fun but I recommend Koh Tao for diving, Samui is a party place Koh Tao is more easy going, still fun though.
    There are plenty of schools in both Samui and Koh tao that run diving classes. Planet scuba run a dive centre in Koh Tao http://www.planet-scuba.net/ for more info.

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭shano_88

What about money? How much would you recommend taking for 16 days? Also, is there any other way than just bringing cash like ATM or something....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

We didn't bothe booking accom anywhere, just got places when we turned up.

In Bangkok we stayed in the D+D on the Khaosan Road, decent enough party spot and plenty of people to meet.

We then went to Samui, Phnagan, Tao and Phi Phi.

Samui - Just went nuts and partied.

Phangan - Same but with a FMP.

Tao - Did our scuba diving here, booked this accom with one of the diving school offices on Phangan before we left.

Phi Phi - Great chill out spot, probably my favourite spot in Thailand.

As for cash we all brought ATM cards and used them. I spent 1400 in 7 weeks so roughly 200 a week for accom, food and going on the tear almost every night.

Well how long is a piece of string? depends on how you want to live really. Will you be staying in 5-star hotels or are you happy with a beachfront hut and no air-con? Will you want western food /fast food crap or will you eat Thai food from the local vendors?
    I'd find €200 a week a bit tight tbh. But then I would budget about €20 per night for a hotel at least So thats €140 gone straight away. I'd spend another €20 a night on beers at least (another €140). For food, I used to eat wherever the locals ate so that was cheap approx €20 for the week (twice a day excluding breakfast in the hotel).
    So I'd need a minimum of €300, to each their own I guess. either way enjoy the trip. :)

Edit: Just to add you can use ATM cards out there but your bank will apply a charge each time you use them. That can add up fairly quickly over time. Think the charge is about €2 ish or thereabout, best check with your bank first.
    Cheers,
    sombaht

I was planning on spending ~1500e for the 16 days. Looking at the last 2 posts that should be plenty. Im definetly going to be using the ATM over there so. Is there any other activities you would recommend or tips you can give me? Thanks already for your help.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    We didn't bothe booking accom anywhere, just got places when we turned up.

In Bangkok we stayed in the D+D on the Khaosan Road, decent enough party spot and plenty of people to meet.

We then went to Samui, Phnagan, Tao and Phi Phi.

Samui - Just went nuts and partied.

Phangan - Same but with a FMP.

Tao - Did our scuba diving here, booked this accom with one of the diving school offices on Phangan before we left.

Phi Phi - Great chill out spot, probably my favourite spot in Thailand.

As for cash we all brought ATM cards and used them. I spent 1400 in 7 weeks so roughly 200 a week for accom, food and going on the tear almost every night.

Was it easy travelling between islands?
    We have 10 days on the islands, We were thinking of spending 5 days on Koh Samui and the other 5 between the others.....

With €1500 for 16 days you will be fine. Any tips? Umm, definitely try the local thai food, either the local street side vendors or the food courts within the department stores. Don't worry you'll know what I mean once you get over there.
    If you are in Bangkok go see the Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha, its a nice escape from the madness that is Bangkok. Pick up a small phrasebook try and learn a little Thai before you go, sounds corny but the locals DO appreciate farangs making an attempt at the language. You'll probably butcher the language in terms of pronunciation but you will get a lot of laughs, good natured nothing nasty :)
    Above all smile (it is the land of smiles!) and then smile some more. :)

Later,
    sombaht

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Saw warning on the Deaprtment of Foreign Affiars website about Thailand

is it safe enough to go?? was thinking fo going in a few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Board-in-work

Bangkok - yep book ahead to save wandering around in the heat after a long flight. If you don't know your way around you can wander around for ages. Khoa San road are in Bangkok has loads of cheap accomodation for backpackers / lads on holiday. you'll probably end up in nana plaza / soi cowboy for beers. It's not that bad. Tame compared to Pattaya.Grand Palace is worth a wander around as well. Don't bother joining a tour - just get a tuk tuk over (dont' wear shorts - not allowed).

Why not try Krabi / Phi Phi after Samui. Krabi has an airport. Dont' know if you can fly from Samui - probably can. Check Air Asia / Bangkok Airways for (very)cheap flights.

You don't really have to bother booking accomodation ahead on the islands. Just turn up and wander around. Maybe do a bit of research on which beach you want to stay on in Samui. I stayed at Raleigh beach on krabi - and it is great.

Beach huts with no aircon are probably the cheapest way to stay on the islands. Why bother - aircon is not that expensive and you'll probably want it. Beers are probbaly between 60 - 100 Baht. Meals are cheap if you eat from stalls. Actually cheap wherever. Basically for the price of a McDonalds in Ireland you can eat very well. Try the thai food - it's brilliant. ATM's are everywhere. Remember to notify your bank you are travelling to Thailand. My bank has a habbit of stopping my card when abroad because I 'didn't tell them I was going abroad'. Just be carefull !

So - on the islands - Thai people are very friendly overall and you'll have no problems. Maybe just watch the jetski scam. Google it. People who generally stop you for 'tourist surveys' are selling timeshares - and no you haven't won any prizes.

Grab some flip flops and some gold cup / tiger bam stuff at the airport in Bangkok (best thing for mozzie bites) - and enjoy. Singha gives you a worse hangover than Heineken (but is cheaper).......

MOst of the trouble in Thailand at the moment is confined to Bangkok. While the troubles would not put me off going to Thailand some tourists have been caught up in the fighting (most notably an Aussie who got injured in a grenade attack). If you plan on travelling around Thailand hitting the beaches etc then yeah it will be safe. Outside of Bangkok you wouldn't even know there were protests happening.

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

sombaht wrote: »
    MOst of the trouble in Thailand at the moment is confined to Bangkok. While the troubles would not put me off going to Thailand some tourists have been caught up in the fighting (most notably an Aussie who got injured in a grenade attack). If you plan on travelling around Thailand hitting the beaches etc then yeah it will be safe. Outside of Bangkok you wouldn't even know there were protests happening.

Cheers,
    sombaht

From another thread on the Independent Travel Forum it says that Travel insurance wont cover you in Thailand due to the DFA warning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Board-in-work

Very valid point. The trouble in Bangkok would not put me off travelling to Thailand at all. The protestors have agreed to relax a bit I think after agreeing to November elections. Need to keep an eye on it. Travel insurance will be invalid if the gov. advises against travel to the country. You uneed to specifically ask the insurance company. Medical insurance would be a worry. Stay off mopeds / motorbikes / jetski's if you have no insurance. medical and dental is cheap in Thailand and the service is excellent. You could also buy insurance in Thailand.

I'd find €200 a week a bit tight tbh. But then I would budget about €20 per night for a hotel at least So thats €140 gone straight away.

20 a night on accom?
    I think the most we spent in our entire time there was 16 a night for a room, and that was split between three people. Everywhere we stayed had air con too.
    shano_88 wrote: »
    I was planning on spending ~1500e for the 16 days. Looking at the last 2 posts that should be plenty. Im definetly going to be using the ATM over there so. Is there any other activities you would recommend or tips you can give me? Thanks already for your help.

1500 will be loads for 16 days.

And on the islands 5 days for Samui is fine, but if your planning on doing Scuba diving on Koh Tao then that's a minimum of three days for your licence. That only leaves two days for Phangan/Phi Phi and less when you take all the travelling into account.

If you've only ten days for the islands I'd only visit two, but that's jsut me.

We spent:

Koh Samui - 5 Days
    Koh Phangan - 6 Days
    Koh Tao - 4 Days
    Koh Phi Phi - 5 Days (my favourite)

We then went up North to Chiang Mai and hit Laos for a few days, then decided to make the trek all the way back down to Koh Phangan for another FMP.

20 a night on accom?
    I think the most we spent in our entire time there was 16 a night for a room

You can get cheaper accom sure. I was travelling with my wife and 2 sons so the extra few € was worth it (larger room, breakfast included etc). I would always spend a few extra quid on the hotel, its your base for the holiday makes sense that it be comfortable. These things become a lot more important when travelling with kids! :)

Cheers,
    sombaht

You can get cheaper accom sure. I was travelling with my wife and 2 sons so the extra few € was worth it (larger room, breakfast included etc). I would always spend a few extra quid on the hotel, its your base for the holiday makes sense that it be comfortable. These things become a lot more important when travelling with kids! :)

Cheers,
    sombaht

Ah ok that explains it then, the places we stayed were always very basic. And no hotels, it was all bungalows etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Tucker688

Hi I am going with my friends on Wednesday for three weeks.

3 Night Koh Samui - 5 Nights Koh Phangan - 2 nights Koh Tao - 4 nights in Phi Phi - 3 in Pattaya and 2 in Bangkok.

We have already paid for the accomdation in Koh Samui and Koh Phangan, and all the travel for the holiday.

I am planning on bringing €1600. I am worried this will not be enough? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭cson

Pad Thai's work out to be ~ €1/2

Large Chang ~ €1 in the 7eleven, up to €3 in some bars. They're 650ml and circa 6/7% so basically with the heat and all, 1 large Chang = 2 x pints Heineken.

Buckets will run you circa €8-10. But you'll only need one and you'll be wrecked.

Basically it's gonna cost about €20/day to feed and keep you in drink. You've got over €100 a day there. You'll live like a king.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Tucker688

Thanks.

Im not bringing much luggage at all, maybe a few t-shirts, shorts and boxers.

Would €100 get me enough clothes for the holiday over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

Go to the markets they will be selling this stuff everywhere! T-shirts about 3 euro each, cheaper if you buy more, shorts and boxers similar. Laundry is very reasonable in Thailand and usually turned around with ironing in about 24 hours. Your budget is fine if you stay away from gogo bars. Drinks are a little more expensive then previously indicated but it can vary from a euro for a bottle of beer in a outdoor beer bar to 5 euro and more in gogo bars. Food much cheaper if you eat Thai food, don't be afraid to try the food from the street carts, they won't speak much if any English but the staff in the beer bars usually don't mind running down to get the food for you so long as they can share. Pharmacies are also very cheap so don't worry about hangover or belly cures.

5 nights in Koh Phangan seems a lot, I'd be inclined to stay more in Koh Tao, similarly there's not a whole lot to do in 4 nights in Phi Phi, an overnight in either would be enough. There's actually quite a lot in Pattaya even though it's got a bad rep there is a huge level of options as to what you want to do for every budget.

20 euro is not enough for each day but 100 is so I think you're fine but it's no problem spending money in Thailand in the wrong places!

Advertisement