Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Suggestions for Jeeps

Options
  • 15-05-2015 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hey I've been driving for about 3 and half years now and finally decided to sell my polo. I've always wanted a jeep but I'm not sure what to pick. I'm no car expert so making this decision is difficult so I'm hoping some you might help me out please.

I don't have a lot of cash, I've almost €2500. Mates and family tell me don't bother with jeeps as they guzzle gas and the tax is too high. I'm not too picky but would like one that's not too powerful or large as a starter. Don't want to be shown on RTE news as "Idiot loses control of jeep and crashes into Primary School".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Sounds like a Suzuki Jimny would suit you.
    1.3 petrol, 4x4, 4 seats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

1.3 petrol, 4x4, 4 seats
    Agree, great little machines and more than capable off road.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 thanlon2704

1.3 petrol, 4x4, 4 seats

Just checked and there very nice, thanks. Done Deal shows there not very expensive either so that's a big bonus. How are they on gas though? Is there much maintenance on them too? went through some horrid experience with my polo. I've fixed so much stuff with it I could of bought it twice with the amount of money I put into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I wouldn't be bothered converting one to LPG. Keep it petrol, be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I don,t really think you could afford to get in insurance and tax on a Jeep and even if you could afford a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee they are expensive to run and not the most reliable. Why do you think there is not that many of them on Irish roads.
    You could look at 4x4s which is what a Suzuki Jimny is. It is basically a car thats a bit higher than a normal car and has four wheel drive.

Jeep is the name of a car brand not a type of car.

Just saying.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

I haven't owned one but I've heard they're not bad on juice. As for mechanical issues, bring someone along who knows a bit about cars and they'll catch most things you should be wary of.
    AMKC wrote: »
    You could look at 4x4s which is what a Suzuki Jimny is. It is basically a car thats a bit higher than a normal car and has four wheel drive.

Jeep is the name of a car brand not a type of car.

Just saying.

And 4x4 is a powered-wheel configuration, not a type of car.

Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

What are you intending to do with the 4x4?

I wouldn't want to drive far on ordinary roads in a basic 4x4 like a Jimny, they have a poor ride and can kill your back.

I speak from experience having owned multiple Land Rovers and had swb Series Land Rovers as an everyday driver, would never do it again although i still own three as toys!

By all means get it out of your system, then buy a car for everyday and a 4x4 as a toy. Unless you're off roading or towing everyday or have deep pockets, a cheap 4x4 will cripple you as an everyday driver.

Get another hatchback, then look at the various 4x4 and off road forums and fb groups and buy a toy for weekend use. Can be addictive though, many lads here think an ideal weekend is spending all day winching yourself 500 metres and destroying the bodywork on trees in the process!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Advertisement