Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disability Allowance appeal

• 09-04-2015 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I was rejected for the disability allowance and I'm appealing. I've got a letter from my GP so far. But I was told by citizens advice that I should try to get more. So I went to the health nurse who has to look after me whenever my HS flares up and I need dressings. She told me they no longer do them and it's the GP's letter that matters. I'm trying to decide if it's worth calling the hospital and asking the surgeon I was under there for a letter.
    How much documentation do you need for an appeal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sophia_G

I've heard some people say it can take up to a year in some cases. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bearclaire

Get as much documentation as you can
    Also write a statement of your illness and how it affects you and those around you
    Your appeal will take 12months ish mine did, ( just awarded in February 14months total)
    You will be asked to go and see a appeals officer which is usually held at a hotel local to you, the officer will ask you about your illness and how it affects you and your life ( you base this on worst day scenario)
    They usually tell you there and then if your appeal is successful
    Though they are called appeals officers
    Which sounds very scary, there not, mine was a very kind compassionate gentlemen, and others I know have said how nice they were.
    Best of luck with it ðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒🌸🌸🌸

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭20784

Trisha_H wrote: »
    I was rejected for the disability allowance and I'm appealing. I've got a letter from my GP so far. But I was told by citizens advice that I should try to get more. So I went to the health nurse who has to look after me whenever my HS flares up and I need dressings. She told me they no longer do them and it's the GP's letter that matters. I'm trying to decide if it's worth calling the hospital and asking the surgeon I was under there for a letter.
    How much documentation do you need for an appeal?

Did you appeal straight away, or you send in more documents?? Also, If i did not appeal the decision but if i send in further documentary evidence for a review, am i still entitle to appeal? Or i won't be able to appeal after sending in further documents now?
    This is what they wrote in my refusal letter:

''If you consider this decision is incorrect, it is open to you to send any further documentary evidence that you think is relevant to your case to this Office within 21 days, and the decision will be reviewed by a Deciding Officer''

''If you are not satisfied with the decision, you may appeal against it in writing to the Chief Appeals Officer, Social Welfare Appeals Office, D'Olier House, Dublin 2 within 21 days, stating clearly the grounds of your appeal.''

bearclaire wrote: »
    Get as much documentation as you can
    Also write a statement of your illness and how it affects you and those around you
    Your appeal will take 12months ish mine did, ( just awarded in February 14months total)
    You will be asked to go and see a appeals officer which is usually held at a hotel local to you, the officer will ask you about your illness and how it affects you and your life ( you base this on worst day scenario)
    They usually tell you there and then if your appeal is successful
    Though they are called appeals officers
    Which sounds very scary, there not, mine was a very kind compassionate gentlemen, and others I know have said how nice they were.
    Best of luck with it ðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒🌸🌸🌸

Was refused too few days ago, can i send in more documents for a review? or its better to appeal immediately? Which is better?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Trisha_H

I was accepted about 4 weeks ago now. I've been told it will be another 4/5 weeks before they process everything. But I've been accepted! :)

• Advertisement

I was accepted about 4 weeks ago now. I've been told it will be another 4/5 weeks before they process everything. But I've been accepted! :)

How long your review takes?

Review or appeal?

How long your review takes?

Advertisement