Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intellectual disability mens group

• 16-04-2015 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

I started work in an intellectual disability service last year. I have recently been asked to set up a mens group within the service.

Has anyone any idea about where I might find some ideas or resources of helpful tips?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The Mens Sheds might be a good model to follow, with appropriate changes relating to their disabilities.

Check out the videos 'What is...' and 'How to set up....'

http://menssheds.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭skippy15

Mensheds is a good starting point- but you need be a little clearer about the remit of the group?

Eg: will it look at mental health, sexuality and relationships, personal hygiene, independant living, employment/ volunteering, social
    Once you establish that, be much easier to focus on what resources are out there-

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sounds like a fantastic idea.
    Advocacy, Capacity and Consent would be massive issues right now in the area of ID, worth looking at legislation.
    There are easy read documents on these matters available from the HSE website afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

skippy15 wrote: »
    Mensheds is a good starting point- but you need be a little clearer about the remit of the group?

Eg: will it look at mental health, sexuality and relationships, personal hygiene, independant living, employment/ volunteering, social
    Once you establish that, be much easier to focus on what resources are out there-

Thats the point - I'm really unclear myself what remit it should have and how to determine the remit

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Thats the point - I'm really unclear myself what remit it should have and how to determine the remit

What's the opinion of the stakeholders?
    What's your organisation's mission statement? Could this give you some pointers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Let the members decide the remit. They are best positioned to decide what concerns them.

Advertisement