Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ERD question

• 19-11-2014 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

I'm mapping an ERD for an assignment, which is broken down into 2 parts (ERD and UML).
    I have all the relationships mapped out to answer part one about ERD, except for one little nuance.

The ERD is based on a DB of papers submitted by authors and reviewers that can access these papers.

We are told that once 3 reviewers select a single paper for review, it disappears from the view of other reviewers.

Is there a way to show this on an ERD, or this is related to UML?
    (we're only starting UML, so part 2 of assignment is not due for a while)

thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Hi,

Fellow newbie here.

You could have it that you have an extra field called hidden, with values of 1 or 0, or true/false, etc.

Accessing an entry changes that entry's value to 1/true.

Modify your select statement for the other researchers to only return entries with a hidden field value of 0 or false.

Again, fellow nebie, not tried this. Looking forward to seeing some pro answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Bizarrely, I am working on an identical system, with an identical problem. Mad. Except, I'm not a student.

Anyway, the question you need to ask is does the paper need to disappear, or should it simply not appear under certain circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

thank you for replies.

the question for now is if I need to show in some shape or form on my ERD, that a paper disappears from other reviewers views, if the paper is selected by 3 other reviewers.

I don't think there is a way to do this with an ERD, but possible with UML. I may be jumping ahead of myself here.

Advertisement