Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who thinks Sean Quinn is a great businessman now?

• 11-11-2011 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1111/breaking26.html

Declared bankrupt in Northern Ireland today. I hope all of those who defended him as a great businessman who did so much for his home region cop on now and recognise how much damage his speculation did to the country.
    Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I worked for him for 6 years.

This is no surprise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

We lost a lot of things during the boom, but its nice to see we didnt lose everything. Things like begrudgery and the delight we have at seeing people who tried, fail.

Stay proud lazygal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Well played by Quinn.

Only has to wait a year before he is back in business, considering his family have most of his assets, I doubt if this will have any profound effect on him.

Sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

He'll be back in business in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

syklops wrote: »
    We lost a lot of things during the boom, but its nice to see we didnt lose everything. Things like begrudgery and the delight we have at seeing people who tried, fail.

Stay proud lazygal.

He broke the rules associated with running an insurance company and invested far too heavily in one bank, Anglo, to the detriment of his other businesses. That's fact, not begrudery.

• Advertisement

Stay proud lazygal.

Is he to be congratulated for managing to bankrupt himself despite being ireland richest man at one point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

It's all about the dum dum duh dee dum dum

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Turnstyle

If it was another first world country he would be in prison for what he done, not here though... nice of him to keep sifting away offshore assets at the cost of Irish taxpayers, true hero alright :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Once heard him boast that he had never done a feasibility study in his life. Just dived in. No **** Sean????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

So he's allowed pay his tax in the republic of Ireland and banks with an Irish bank, but is allowed declare himself bankrupt under UK law?

Is that right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

He was once Ireland's richest man, now his family members are! Declared bankrupt so now he has no debt. Well played sir, well played.

smash wrote: »
    So he's allowed pay his tax in the republic of Ireland and banks with an Irish bank, but is allowed declare himself bankrupt under UK law?

Is that right?

Yeah. Presumably irish bankruptcy laws dont suit him. He is from Fermanagh if that changes things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

orourkeda wrote: »
    Yeah. Presumably irish bankruptcy laws dont suit him. He is from Fermanagh if that changes thongs

Yes being from Fermanagh has a great influence on changing underwear.

In before ninja edit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

There are bankrupt ordinary citizens who struggle to put food on the table for their children.

Quinn through a complicated maze has put all his assets in family member names and moved them off shore.

Is he penniless? i don't believe so. Is he still a millionaire? i think so.

Is that €2.8 BILLION that is owed to Anglo Irish Bank, that State has gauranteed in our names as citizens, for which we suffer cuts to pay the Bond Holders, are we not to see I penny of it?

AM I feeling sorry for Quinn? No

Just another black day in this Banana Republic.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Stay proud lazygal.
    And there are Drumlins Have Eyes style characters in the border counties who still think he's a demi-god because "he got the cousin a job making tay in the quarry".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

I can't see him queueing up at a soup-kitchen any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Robbo wrote: »
    And there are Drumlins Have Eyes style characters in the border counties who still think he's a demi-god because "he got the cousin a job making tay in the quarry".

No, you'll find there are people who appreciate that the man brought jobs to the region at a time when the IDA brought none. Plenty of these people are also still in employment.

Lemlin wrote: »
    No, you'll find there are people who appreciate that the man brought jobs to the region at a time when the IDA brought none. Plenty of these people are also still in employment.

Plenty of them lost these jobs through mismanagemnet and financial recklessness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

You can have all the billions in the world but once your reputation is destroyed you're no-one.

A gambler whose luck ran out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

And isn't it sad to see that after everything that has happened there are still people like you who still look up to chancers who get to siphon their money off to family members before walking away from their debts and leaving the ordinary taxpayers of the country counting the cost of them ?
    lazygal wrote: »
    He broke the rules associated with running an insurance company and invested far too heavily in one bank, Anglo, to the detriment of his other businesses. That's fact, not begrudery.

Correction "to the DETRIMENT of the people of this country".

Using your argument seanie fitz and fingers fingelton deserve respect.
    Sure look at all the jobs they created and all the people they helped with loans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Ireland's Ex-Richest Man Bankrupt

(c) Sky News 2011, 12:57, Friday 11 November 2011
    An entrepreneur who was once the richest man in Ireland (Xetra: A0Q8L3 - news) has declared himself bankrupt over debts of two billion euro (£1.7bn) to the former Anglo-Irish Bank.

Sean Quinn ran a multi-billion empire until it collapsed over the last two years due to massive, secret stock market gambles on the share price of the now nationalised rogue lender.

Mr Quinn said he had done everything to avoid bankruptcy, which was declared at the High Court in Belfast.

"I have done absolutely everything in my power to avoid taking this drastic decision. The vast majority of debt that Anglo maintains is owed is strenuously disputed.

"However, I cannot now pay those loans which are due, following Anglo taking control of the Quinn Group of companies, which I and a loyal team spent a lifetime building. I find myself left with no other alternative."

The businessman, dubbed the "Mighty Quinn", was said to be worth 4.72bn euros (£3.7bn) at the height of his success.

Mr Quinn accused the Irish government of holding him at fault for the devastation wreaked on the country's economy after Anglo - the developers' bank - went bust.

"I worked tirelessly to find a solution to the problems, which arose from ill-fated investments in Anglo," he said. "Anglo, and more recently the Irish Government, are intent on making scapegoats of my family and I."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I BET he will be still living in Luxury this time next year...........
    And the year after that and the year after that

Does anyone really think this guy will end up in an apartment in the outskirts of Dublin worrying about his heating bills ??? LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Stay proud lazygal.

I seriously think going down this road is silly, syklops.
    More than likely, the people of this country will not see one cent of the billions this man and his family owe.
    He pulled the wool over many eyes and will never see a day of hardship for the rest of his life.
    Justice and accountability are missing in this country and today we see another gambling ars*hole get away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

2.8 billion jesus.h.christ.

thats all I can say to that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

And Quinn's been doing his best to jeopardise those jobs since he started his leveraged Stamp Duty dodging misadventure into Anglo, followed by the spiriting away of all assets into family members names through Byzantine overseas corporate structures. Let's not forget that he ran an insurance operation that was, according to the Regulator, not sufficiently robust to deal with being in the sector and the numerous underhand measures used to evade or minimise claims (50% off your excess if you don't go near a solicitor, sending ex-Gardai to peoples houses to coerce them into accepting small settlements etc).

I really can't see what you hold against the IDA. Do you expect them to show the CEO of some American MNC around Cavan or Monaghan and say: "Well here's where the infrastructure isn't, over there is where the diesel laundering and subsistence farming are and if you look to your left you'll see the kind of stony grey soil that got Paddy Kavanagh moist, sure why would you want to base your widget processing operation anywhere else?"

If you're that easily bought, so be it. But the cost of his Anglo dealings to the taxpayer ain't gonna be small.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭conorhal

ejmaztec wrote: »
    He'll be back in business in a year.

Where as every pleb with an insurance policy will still be paying the insurance levy imposed to bail out Quinn insurance for the next 20yrs.....

jmayo wrote: »

Using your argument seanie fitz and fingers fingelton deserve respect.
    Sure look at all the jobs they created and all the people they helped with loans.

I must of missed where Seanie Fitz and Fingers Fingleton were entrepreneurs who started up their own companies' and actually created jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Does anyone here honestly think that man is poor?
    He would just rather not waste the vast piles of money he's "earned" over the years by paying his debts.
    He's as rich as a king and always will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

The poor man. Any chance Joe could organize a whip around to give him some comfort in his old age.

At least they didn't take the automatic right to a Medical Card from OAPs in the end. That would have been the ultimate insult for him. He'll still have his health, thank God.

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »
    And Quinn's been doing his best to jeopardise those jobs since he started his leveraged Stamp Duty dodging misadventure into Anglo, followed by the spiriting away of all assets into family members names through Byzantine overseas corporate structures. Let's not forget that he ran an insurance operation that was, according to the Regulator, not sufficiently robust to deal with being in the sector and the numerous underhand measures used to evade or minimise claims (50% off your excess if you don't go near a solicitor, sending ex-Gardai to peoples houses to coerce them into accepting small settlements etc).

I really can't see what you hold against the IDA. Do you expect them to show the CEO of some American MNC around Cavan or Monaghan and say: "Well here's where the infrastructure isn't, over there is where the diesel laundering and subsistence farming are and if you look to your left you'll see the kind of stony grey soil that got Paddy Kavanagh moist, sure why would you want to base your widget processing operation anywhere else?"

If you're that easily bought, so be it. But the cost of his Anglo dealings to the taxpayer ain't gonna be small.

I never disagreed that they will be small and I totally agree he has made mistakes. What I took offence to was someone labelling the people in the border counties Drumlins Have Eyes type characters. There are people there who have worked for the man for 40 years so I don't think its wrong for them to feel some gratitude.

The fact of the matter is that the man brought jobs to the region when the national company for enterprise could not do so. The fact is that the IDA are responsible for industrial growth in Ireland and, say what you want about the border region, it's their task to brings jobs there and they were more than happy to sit back and neglect the region because the Quinn Group was in the area.

He's made plenty of mistakes since and I agree, he should have every cent taken off him because we'll be paying it back for long enough but to brand everything he did negatively is also wrong.

The Quinn Group were functioning 22 years and providing jobs before he even touched the financial sector.

Advertisement