Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

yes, power off and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Tsk.

I've currently got digital+ HD TV with multiroom and 30meg broadband. I asked to be put on the fibre power ultimate package with the 'double your speed' upgrade to bring it up to 100mbit, but apparently I can't move from an alá carte service to a bundle so can't avail of any of the bundle deals.

Bit of a bummer, that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Moriarty wrote: »
    Tsk.

I've currently got digital+ HD TV with multiroom and 30meg broadband. I asked to be put on the fibre power ultimate package with the 'double your speed' upgrade to bring it up to 100mbit, but apparently I can't move from an alá carte service to a bundle so can't avail of any of the bundle deals.

Bit of a bummer, that.

Call back and ask to speak to the loyalty department and it looks like they should be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

Yeah it seems those who are on the 8mb have now been moved to 10mb,wonder why they didnt just bring it up to the 12mb speed :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Unfortunately for me, I can't get their phone service here. I can get everything else, but not the phone. I'll have to stick with my 30Meg package, but as soon as they upgrade for the phone service I'll be switching to the 100Meg+phone for €57! The other side of the road have the phone service, and I registered my interest with them for the phone last year when I first got the broadband, it's a shame they haven't upgraded whatever needs to be upgraded, you'd think the phone would be easier to upgrade than the Digital+HD, Broadband, etc.! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

CO19 wrote: »
    Yeah it seems those who are on the 8mb have now been moved to 10mb,wonder why they didnt just bring it up to the 12mb speed :confused:

to try and gouge some more cash outta them?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

CO19 wrote: »

I suppose the idea is auto upgrade you to 10mb, but if you want 12mb you have to sign up to a new 12 month contract.

Which is fair enough IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Click on Bundles link off main NTL website, right at bottom of page, below all other text:
    Prices shown are for new customers only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

Click on Bundles link off main NTL website, right at bottom of page, below all other text:

strange, cause when i called earlier i was told it would be done no probs and ive been with them for months

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

bk wrote: »
    I suppose the idea is auto upgrade you to 10mb, but if you want 12mb you have to sign up to a new 12 month contract.

Which is fair enough IMO.

True but surely people on the 10mb now will know that having 2 more mb won't make much of a difference really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Yeah, this new customer only thing is very bad by UPC.

Example, I currently pay €59.75 for 20MB + Anytime World

New Prices are
    25mb + Anytime World for €47
    50mb + Anytime World for €52
    100mb + Anytime World for €62

So, basically I am paying €13 more for somebody getting 5mb more speed, €8 for somebody getting 30mb and only €2 less than somebody getting 80mb more!

Angry phonecalls and letters will be heading in UPC's direction.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The new customer only thing is rubbish, Customer Service will do the change for you, I was just talking to them about upgrading my contract for the €57 100MB deal, sweet Lord €57 for 100mb b/band and phone with evening/weekend calls is serious value for money

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Call back and ask to speak to the loyalty department and it looks like they should be able to sort you out.

Aye, loyalty department looks to have been able to sort me out eventually.. hopefully the change in bundle and such won't cause any unforseen hiccups with mis-provisioning :)

See how it goes I guess. Either way, for anyone that has been with UPC for a while and want to move to one of their bundles, it looks like this is the way to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Similar to others above, but it seems by upgrading I will be paying 1 euro less! I started a new new contract in Jan this year (Digital select/HD recorder/20mb BB/Phone) costing me €76 per month. So today upgraded (again via the 'loyalty dept') to the 'Fibre Power Essential' with the €5 extra for 50mb BB and €5 for HD for a total of €75 per month!

There is also a once off €20 charge for a new modem though.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Ronan wrote: »
    Yeah, this new customer only thing is very bad by UPC.

Example, I currently pay €59.75 for 20MB + Anytime World

New Prices are
    25mb + Anytime World for €47
    50mb + Anytime World for €52
    100mb + Anytime World for €62

So, basically I am paying €13 more for somebody getting 5mb more speed, €8 for somebody getting 30mb and only €2 less than somebody getting 80mb more!

Angry phonecalls and letters will be heading in UPC's direction.

Thanks to those who suggested loyalty Dept. I indeed talked to a very helpful lady in the loyalty department, offered me the new BB + Phone budles at the price above. Just need to decide if I want to go 50 or 100mb now :) €20 or €40 fees for the modem is fair enough and will pay for it self in a couple of months anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Posting this again as other thread was closed by Jor el

just rang them there and the area I'm in Lucan South you can't get the 50 or 100 Mb packages as area hasn't been upgraded, and couldn't give me a timeline on when it will be done Any idea what they need to upgrade to make these speeds available?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

bonoman66 wrote: »
    When I was putting my order in (upgrading from 30Mb only to 100Mb+Phone Anytime World), I asked if I could be sent the equipment & I was told it was possible for self installs up to & including 50Mb BB but that the 100Mb BB was not self install at this point & an engineer had to call out.

I would have preferred the self install but I'm happy to go from 30Mb to 100Mb at the bundle price. Its not a 'show stopper' for me to have to get an eingineer install for the sake of €40. I know if you order online you get it for €20 I think, but because I had so much hassle initially with sales (them telling me I couldn't avail of the new bundle pricing), I ended up putting the order in over the phone with the Customer Loyalty Team.

That's a quote from the other thread(LOL)

Not sure why the 50Mb would be available through self install and not the 100Mb as the bought require the new modem. Still, My order went through fine.

Also just to note, I was talking to the tech department just there. He said the 100Mb line was available in my area(Thank god, I have been waiting from them to finish the upgrade for awhile now) and that i can do a self install of the 100Mb line.

Ok so I'm getting told that my 30Mb connection can't be upgraded to 50Mb because it isn't available in my area. Is this bullsh1t anyone know?? Its a newly cabled area and I would have thought that if I can get 30Mb I could get 50Mb or does that not follow?
    just rang them there and the area I'm in Lucan South you can't get the 50 or 100 Mb packages as area hasn't been upgraded, and couldn't give me a timeline on when it will be done Any idea what they need to upgrade to make these speeds available?

Just because an area was newly cabled, doesn't mean it is necessarily ready for the faster speeds for one of two reasons:

1) 50/100mb needs new euroDOCSIS 3 gear that might not have been installed yet.

2) There maybe insufficient backhaul bandwidth to the local network and nodes (I guess this is why Waterford doesn't have the faster speeds yet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

So as I was saying in the locked thread I'm getting told that my 30Mb connection can't be upgraded to 50Mb because it isn't available in my area. Is this bullsh1t anyone know?? Its a newly cabled area and I would have thought that if I can get 30Mb I could get 50Mb or does that not follow?

Edit: Oh I see some others are in same situation. Arse

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The make you fight for this.
    1 st phone call I was told its not possible.
    2nd phone call told me 30meg was the fastet spped available in my area .
    (Even though site says 100 is:confused:)
    3 phone call and I finally got sorted.
    Was on 30 meg paying €55
    Upgraded to 50 meg with freetime world , go the 7.75 removed.
    Getting modem upgraded & installed for free & all for €47 a month.
    Happy days.:D

• Advertisement

So as I was saying in the locked thread I'm getting told that my 30Mb connection can't be upgraded to 50Mb because it isn't available in my area. Is this bullsh1t anyone know?? Its a newly cabled area and I would have thought that if I can get 30Mb I could get 50Mb or does that not follow?

Edit: Oh I see some others are in same situation. Arse

See my post above.

Just because an area was newly cabled, doesn't mean it is necessarily ready for the faster speeds for one of two reasons:

1) 50/100mb needs new euroDOCSIS 3 gear that might not have been installed yet.

2) There maybe insufficient backhaul bandwidth to the local network and nodes (I guess this is why Waterford doesn't have the faster speeds yet).

Fair enough. I'm just annoyed because I upgraded to the 30Mb package last week. I should have stayed with the 20Mb one and then would have moved up to the 25Mb announced today. Will have to pay them another tenner to move to the 25Mb now having already paid a tenner to lose the phone package last week even though I was upgrading the broadband. Annoying.

Fair enough. I'm just annoyed because I upgraded to the 30Mb package last week. I should have stayed with the 20Mb one and then would have moved up to the 25Mb announced today. Will have to pay them another tenner to move to the 25Mb now having already paid a tenner to lose the phone package last week even though I was upgrading the broadband. Annoying.

You still maybe in your 7 day cooling off period. Which would allow you to cancel and reorder.

Even if you are not, ask to talk to the loyalty department and they will probably leave you change to 25Mb with the €10 downgrade charge.

Also have them double check that 50Mb really isn't available in your area.

KoolKid wrote: »
    The make you fight for this.
    1 st phone call I was told its not possible.
    2nd phone call told me 30meg was the fastet spped available in my area .
    (Even though site says 100 is:confused:)
    3 phone call and I finally got sorted.
    Was on 30 meg paying €55
    Upgraded to 50 meg with freetime world , go the 7.75 removed.
    Getting modem upgraded & installed for free & all for €47 a month.
    Happy days.:D

Jeez didn't realise this package included calls as well. Makes my current package even more crappy!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Ronan wrote: »
    Thanks to those who suggested loyalty Dept. I indeed talked to a very helpful lady in the loyalty department, offered me the new BB + Phone budles at the price above. Just need to decide if I want to go 50 or 100mb now :) €20 or €40 fees for the modem is fair enough and will pay for it self in a couple of months anyway.

how do you contact the loyalyty department?

You still maybe in your 7 day cooling off period. Which would allow you to cancel and reorder.

Even if you are not, ask to talk to the loyalty department and they will probably leave you change to 25Mb with the €10 downgrade charge.

Also have them double check that 50Mb really isn't available in your area.

Yea I'm onto them on twitter. Customer care on phone were giving me nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Fantastic value, pity they are still awefully slow when it comes to rolling out their service in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

I spoke with Sales earlier today before I read this thread and was told all of the new offers were only for new custs. I'm currently on 20MB BB and Phone
    After reading here I called the Loyalty Dept and while I was able to place the upgrade order to 50MB and phone which will cost a few Euro less, I was told it has to be an engineer install for 50MB

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Jeez didn't realise this package included calls as well. Makes my current package even more crappy!
    that's what the loyalty department is there to fix for you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement