Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coins & Banknotes Valuation Sticky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Ill chance another one the 2007 Ivan Mèstrovic €15 & 150 kuna double set, the Croatian version in the blue box not the Irish one

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

hexosan wrote: »
    Ill chance another one the 2007 Ivan Mèstrovic €15 & 150 kuna double set, the Croatian version in the blue box not the Irish one

I think 200 would be a fair valuation for that.

As regards the 1986 set, they have also sold for as little as EUR 314.71:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/IRELAND-1986-YEAR-SET-/171132528632?nma=true&si=tPNTiqmxgiZ5mmAXx84s9c9xhsw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

These sets usually had a glue leakage problem, so how much that leakage affected the folder or any of the coins will determine the value. If I remember correctly one sold on Adverts for between 400 to 500 Euro. The auction I posted above might have been a one off 'lucky' auction, so to be fair I think a more realistic valuation for a set in reasonable condition (with no coins affected by glue) would be around 600 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

• Hi guys just wondering would anyone have any info on the following? its a 1971 penny im assuming its a mistrike of some kind ive attached some photos! any opinions would be great I couldnt find much info on it.

Just wonder if anybody knows anything about this, i found it in my grandfathers shed. Much appreciated.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Just wonder if anybody knows anything about this, i found it in my grandfathers shed. Much appreciated.

Well there's not really much to know about it, it's an English half penny cut out by hand. You see these with lots of different types of coins, including Irish ones. That one is probably contemporary but they still do this today, some nice work here for example: http://coincutter.net/

• Advertisement

Blade wrote: »
    Well there's not really much to know about it, it's an English half penny cut out by hand. You see these with lots of different types of coins, including Irish ones. That one is probably contemporary but they still do this today, some nice work here for example: http://coincutter.net/
    Thanks Blade:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

pimpmyhat wrote: »
    • Hi guys just wondering would anyone have any info on the following? its a 1971 penny im assuming its a mistrike of some kind ive attached some photos! any opinions would be great I couldnt find much info on it.
    I can only offer the following theory.

There is a comparatively simple chemical process by which copper can be coated in zinc, which has a silvery colour. The 1971 penny was minted in bronze which is an alloy of copper and tin. Perhaps someone coated your penny in zinc.

Thanks for the reply! It has the same weight as the regular penny so I dont know would that have any bearing on it. When i was researching I read a case in england where there was a mistrike penny made of silver which is worth a fortune but mine doesnt appear to be silver

Thanks for the reply! It has the same weight as the regular penny so I dont know would that have any bearing on it. When i was researching I read a case in england where there was a mistrike penny made of silver which is worth a fortune but mine doesnt appear to be silver

I'm just offering a theory. You may be lucky and your penny could indeed be worth something.

Hopefully you never know i'll keep researching I dont know how we ever managed without google

• Advertisement

Hopefully you never know i'll keep researching I dont know how we ever managed without google

Hello again pimpmyhat,

Something struck me today. I said in an earlier post that 1971 pennies were made out of bronze. Later ones from the 1990s were made out of steel plated with copper. Your penny shouldn't be made out of steel but it might be no harm to check. Bronze isn't magnetic but steel is, run you penny by a magnet.

(If you haven't got a magnet to hand, try it against the seal on the door of your fridge, there's magnets underneath it)

Thanks hownowcow I tried it against a magnet be it not a very strong one but there was no reaction!

Thanks hownowcow I tried it against a magnet be it not a very strong one but there was no reaction!

Fair enough, I'm all out of ideas.

If you do ever figure it out, it would be interesting to know what the answer is.

Good luck.

Thanks ya hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it will let you know.. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Gorman700

Hi Lads, I have a fairly large collection of various coins, I was going to have them valued however I just dont have the time to stand around all day while someone values them. I have over 300 of the 1988 millenium 50p coins and 100 of the millenium pound coins, any idea what these are worth. Also does anyone even buy these coins/collections? I'd like to sell mine ideally as I've lost interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ow9654

Gorman700 wrote: »
    Hi Lads, I have a fairly large collection of various coins, I was going to have them valued however I just dont have the time to stand around all day while someone values them. I have over 300 of the 1988 millenium 50p coins and 100 of the millenium pound coins, any idea what these are worth. Also does anyone even buy these coins/collections? I'd like to sell mine ideally as I've lost interest.
    People don't generally pay too much for the coins you've named, generally around the exchange rate, especially when buying in bulk.
    Sometimes you might get €1-€3 per coin if sold separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Gorman700

ow9654 wrote: »
    People don't generally pay too much for the coins you've named, generally around the exchange rate, especially when buying in bulk.
    Sometimes you might get €1-€3 per coin if sold separately.

Yeah, I partly guessed I wasnt sitting on a goldmine. I see what you mean about selling them individually, but 3/400 times over.....no thanks haha!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 corballi

I have about 45 old Irish penny's (1968). Do you know what the value of them would be

corballi wrote: »
    I have about 45 old Irish penny's (1968). Do you know what the value of them would be

Very little value, sorry. It's the most common date for Irish pennies and nobody really wants them.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Listrydude

Is there much of a difference in the value of coins with Saorstait na hEireann on them and the corresponding coins from a few years earlier?

• Advertisement

Listrydude wrote: »
    Is there much of a difference in the value of coins with Saorstait na hEireann on them and the corresponding coins from a few years earlier?

http://www.irishcoinage.com/MODCOIN.HTM
    That site should answer that, though I don't fully understand your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 caminocat

Hi I have a 100 lavery note 1963 in fine condition and was considering selling it but not sure of its value...any one help???

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭notuslimited

When you say fine condition, are there any visible folds in the note. I remember at the coin fare one of the dealers I spoke to told me that the 50 and 100 note tend to fetch around the same prices, between €250 to €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 caminocat

I was just thinking that the year was good because I have seen 1973 100 go for 250:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭amber2

Just wondering if these are of any value two Lady Lavery £1 notes dated 1974 and serial numbers are in sequence these are unused notes.

amber2 wrote: »
    Just wondering if these are of any value two Lady Lavery £1 notes dated 1974 and serial numbers are in sequence these are unused notes.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Series-A-Lavery-1-x-2-in-sequence-1974-/281182269504?pt=UK_Coins_Banknotes_GL&hash=item4177c4f040
    A recent example so yeah around €30, yours have some folds so €25-€30 is about right

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

wondering the value of these notes
    certainly not mint but not in bad condition

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

dolittle wrote: »
    wondering the value of these notes
    certainly not mint but not in bad condition

without seeing the backs of the notes -

ten shilling note is worth around €5 - common year, average condition

five pound note is worth around €10 - common year, writing reduces the value alot
    one pound note is worth around €20 - has alot of folds but a good war code year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Hi guys,

looking for some advice and this seems to be the right place ;). I was down in my Dads house yesterday and he has a coin collection that he bought through the dublin mint office. Commemorative coins etc. He was buying them for 3-4 years - doesn't quite know why ;). Anyway, he was thinking of selling them so i need some advice on where to go and who to see about this? I had no idea he was buying these so i guess some reassurance that he wasn't ripped off would also help as he's spent quite a bit of money on them.

All help appreciated,

thanks.

(Edit - just been reading the Boards.ie thread on the dublin Mint office ... sending shivers down my spine ;(

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

looking for some advice and this seems to be the right place ;). I was down in my Dads house yesterday and he has a coin collection that he bought through the dublin mint office. Commemorative coins etc. He was buying them for 3-4 years - doesn't quite know why ;). Anyway, he was thinking of selling them so i need some advice on where to go and who to see about this? I had no idea he was buying these so i guess some reassurance that he wasn't ripped off would also help as he's spent quite a bit of money on them.

All help appreciated,

thanks.

(Edit - just been reading the Boards.ie thread on the dublin Mint office ... sending shivers down my spine ;(

Post a few pictures of what he bought or list some of the things and i'll get a few prices for ya.

Though I can say I received a letter from them labelled 'Strictly Private' and it was simply an ad for a rip off silver plated coin...
    They put ads out there like they're a government company or something, almost assuring people that what they are getting is value for money and a sound investment...

Advertisement