Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda McLoughlin RIP

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Snapper

So hopefully, when he is re captured he will be returned to a proper prison and his sentence upped a few more years for escaping, consecutively rather than concurrently.

Now back in custody

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

So here I am hoping that this scum bag gets transported to the most southern and old fashioned prison in this country. Down to Cork prison, put this scum into a cell designed for 2 scumbags but now housing 4. Then have him experience the lovely art of slopping out.

I really cannot see him managing to escape from that particular premises, but won't it be great to make it difficult for his visitors from Donegal, what is it a 6 hour journey, one way that is.

Now the powers that be should double his sentence.....but then that would be asking too much, wouldn't it?

I still am surprised at the amount of convictions he has had for motoring offences, then does this crime and gets a joke of a sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

kub wrote: »
    but won't it be great to make it difficult for his visitors from Donegal, what is it a 6 hour journey, one way that is.
    Thats a bit harsh considering his family have done nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

muffler wrote: »

I viewed the post as implying that the offender wouldn't get to see his family as often - hence another punishment for his misdeeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭source

but won't it be great to make it difficult for his visitors from Donegal, what is it a 6 hour journey, one way that is.

No but he has, and the removal of freedoms is what prison is meant to be about.

• Advertisement

I viewed the post as implying that the offender wouldn't get to see his family as often - hence another punishment for his misdeeds?
    The "6 hour journey" referred to wasnt going to be undertaken by the prisoner.

Im sure there are other measures that coud be taken that would put a strain on this guy rather than making his family suffer.

Perhaps not, but I wonder was he in anyway assisted on his little adventure.

My logic is basically that he will not surely see his visitors as often being that far from home so perhaps this will be more punishment. Infairness some punishment has to be seen to be imposed, otherwise there will be plenty of other prisoners going walkies.

The "6 hour journey" referred to wasnt going to be undertaken by the prisoner.

Im sure there are other measures that coud be taken that would put a strain on this guy rather than making his family suffer.

Lets look at this simply so, if that scumbag had not done what he did, then he would not be in prison in the first place, so then his relatives would not need to visit him.

So lets see who is to blame.....ammmmm.....himself.

So lets see who is to blame.....ammmmm.....himself.
    Thanks for agreeing with my point.

Thanks for agreeing with my point.

;) No bother, as the old saying goes, but not really true in the ROI, do the crime, do the time.

So again, it really won't keep me up worrying at night if some scumbags family have to travel 6 hours to see their loved one. Besides an apple does not fall far from the tree, so, something else is coming to mind.

Anyway I bet that as far as his relatives are concerned he did nothing wrong, wasn't there at the time, the Gardai were out to get him etc, etc.So in their long journey they can also blame the horrible system which they have to put up with because their little Johnny did nothing wrong.

Being honest with you, if I had my way he along with others would be out on some little island off the west coast breaking rocks. But thats just me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

;)Being honest with you, if I had my way he along with others would be out on some little island off the west coast breaking rocks. But thats just me.

Amen to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Simply incomprehensible.

You don't pay a TV licence and you end up in the likes of the Joy.

You're a repeat offender with a number of convictions that needs a team of accountants to keep track of including unlawfully killing a Garda and you end up in the prison service's equivalent of a holiday farm.

Simply incomprehensible.

You don't pay a TV licence and you end up in the likes of the Joy.

You're a repeat offender with a number of convictions that needs a team of accountants to keep track of including unlawfully killing a Garda and you end up in the prison service's equivalent of a holiday farm.

Correct, thats the wonderful little country we live in. Infairness has anyone even on here heard of a sentence that was handed down to someone and thought ' thats fair'.

There will be an enquiry, money spent on the wiggies and the result will be, the common sense, that he should have been in a proper prison. No one will be accountable as usual and thousands will be spent.

So who is going to win here? The legal eagles thats who, the ones who should have had sufficent laws/ punishment in force originally so that this poor misfortunate Garda would not have lost his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

The inquiry will go nowhere , a report will be done that points the finger at '' communication breakdowns '' , '' systemic failures '' . '' lack of direction '' , etc.
    No individual will be named , no one will be disciplined - this will be just like the inevitable report that comes out from the HSE after every scandal of mis-diagnosing patients occurs.

We don't ' do ' accountability in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

What are the chances that either a TD/Senator interfered in getting the scumbag moved to the open prison? it has happened before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Unbelievable. First of all for getting just 7 years for being responsible for the death of an on-duty Garda, and second of all for being sent to such a facility.

I don't agree with the guy being assaulted etc. in prison, but I do believe he should be forced to be productive for the State whilst in prison for decades to come for his crime.

Outrageous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

It just gets better - it has emerged that this guy had escaped from Loughan House a number of years ago while serving time for a different offence.
    The DG of the Prison Service has apologised for the decision to transfer him and also for the failure to notify Garda McLoughlins family about the move.
    No doubt given the lack of accountability the individual/s responsible will be rewarded with a promotion :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

You have to understand that Prison Officers have nothing to do with the running of prisons anymore. The IPS is run by civil servants who have no experience of dealing with prisoners or prisons, in fact most of them have never even seen a prison. I know that one of the people responsible for clearing all transfers from one particular prison transferred to the IPS after 20 years in the dept of agriculture. They look at a check list and just tick the boxes, they have no idea who the lag is or how he has behaved in Prison, his form or anything else. Prison Officers are disgusted with this scrote getting transferred to Loughlin House but unfortunately it has taken something like this to highlight the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭An Udaras

Its a sad case of affairs.. and in reality nothing will really change.. The escapee will be relocated to another prison but who's to say in a few years he's not back there again..

Our men and woman of the AGS who police our land should have some comfort in knowing that convicted felons who have assaulted or murdered a serving member or that of other emergency services will not spend a large portion of their custodial sentence in an actual prison and not a half way home/butlins-mosney camp...

The unfortunate reality is what ever public service you serve in the justice system will always reward the accused in the majority of cases..

In the case of Garda McLoughlins family they can be assured that there are persons out there that will always and ultimately respect his bravery and sacrifice he gave in the service of others..

Mise le meas..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

On Prime Time now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    On Prime Time now....

well that will be fair and impartial then :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Bosh wrote: »

Thanks Bosh....Young Martin seems a happy enough lad,surely a tribute to the caring attitude exhibited by the State ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Rawhead wrote: »
    . I know that one of the people responsible for clearing all transfers from one particular prison transferred to the IPS after 20 years in the dept of agriculture. They look at a check list and just tick the boxes, they have no idea who the lag is or how he has behaved in Prison, his form or anything else.

So the check list says nothing about who he is or how he has behaved then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/john-cuffe-our-prisons-are-justice-systems-poor-relations-3066542.html

This is as good a summary of the job as I've seen. Give this a read and it should explain things.

Advertisement