Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stolen 520d in Celbridge 07/11/2011 8am

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭patrickc

will keep an eye out today, also said to the missus to keep an eye out she works kildare direction.

hope you get it back.

scum stealing it.

any pics?

edit I also wouldnt put your mobile number up on a public forum for privacy reasons and that. people are better contacting the gardai or pming you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

wow my gf lives in that estate, will tell her and see if she spotted anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Sorry to hear it. Will also keep an eye out around Lucan and Leixlip.
    Left running while defrosting the windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Sorry to hear that, how did they steal it?

I saw a similar car on the N4 heading into Dublin but silver 520s are not uncommon. It was debadged in that it didnt have the 520d on the boot. I could tell it was a 520 from the exhaust.

This was at about 7.30am so probably not it if the 8am in the thread title is exact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Sorry to hear that, how did they steal it?

I was thinking that too. 8am is very bright out with a lot of people commuting.

@OP, Did you by chance leave the engine running to defrost the car?

If so, GET YOUR HOUSE LOCKS CHANGED

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭jhegarty

mullingar wrote: »
    @OP, Did you by chance leave the engine running to defrost the car?

And if you did then don't admit it on here as your insurance company may be following this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

jhegarty wrote: »
    And if you did then don't admit it on here as your insurance company may be following this thread.

So you are saying he should lie to his insurance company?

If indeed it was a case that the keys were left in the ignition and thats how it got stolen,how pray tell would he be able to cover it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

So you are saying he should lie to his insurance company?

If indeed it was a case that the keys were left in the ignition and thats how it got stolen,how pray tell would he be able to cover it up?

Just tell them they got them off the hall table through the letterbox, very common.

Hope it turns up OP. Good luck

pippip wrote: »
    Just tell them they got them off the hall table through the letterbox, very common.

I dont know what kind of letterbox you have but thats one of the most ridiculous things I have heard in my life.

Do you really think any insurance company would swallow something as stupid as that????

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

pippip wrote: »

I dont know what kind of letterbox you have but thats one of the most ridiculous things I have heard in my life.

Do you really think any insurance company would swallow something as stupid as that????

Jesus wept.

People use fishing rods to get keys off tables. Not uncommon.

Good luck op.

• Advertisement

Jesus wept.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73892739

There you go

• Registered Users Posts: 33,377 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Jesus wept.

I am embarrassed for your reply. You clearly dont know much about current crime.

this type of incident is one of the more common types of car theft at the moment.

Fair enough,it happens using fishing rods etc,that never crossed my mind(probably not a bad thing :P )however my original point still stands about lying to the insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Jesus wept.
    eehhhh, this happens the whole time. Fishing rod, keys, car????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

It never ceases to amaze why so many people contribute to such threads asking how the car was stolen.

1. It doesn't matter how the car was stolen.
    2. The car owner wants her car back. She doesn't need anyone to lecture her on anything she was deemed to have done "wrong".

As for compensation? I hope the car owner gets her car back, or is compensated for it, properly. The car was still stolen, whether the thief had keys, or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 marryabroad

Fair enough,it happens using fishing rods etc,that never crossed my mind(probably not a bad thing :P )however my original point still stands about lying to the insurance company.

so let me get this straight......if you had a €40,000 car on the drive and lets say you started it on the drive of your house then remember your wallet is in on counter in kitchen. you jump out and run into house, grab wallet and run back out just in time to see your car taking off down the road!

do you ring insurance and tell them the story and they say, tought sh!t we're not paying out. so you have no car and still have 3 years car payments.

-OR-

do you ring insurance and say someone fished your keys out letterbox and stole car, they say no problem we'll send a loss adjustor, and then pay out so you can replace car.

i know what one i'd pick......as would plenty more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I wouldn't have thought the 520d was that desirable? Opportunist theft by the sounds of it.
    Or I suppose a common model is easier to get rid of either as a clone or broken for parts.
    Either way OP, I hope you get sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Well the latter would be commiting a criminal offence. Just syaing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

Did u have a tracker in the car op. now days nearly pays to have one installed

so let me get this straight......if you had a €40,000 car on the drive and lets say you started it on the drive of your house then remember your wallet is in on counter in kitchen. you jump out and run into house, grab wallet and run back out just in time to see your car taking off down the road!

do you ring insurance and tell them the story and they say, tought sh!t we're not paying out. so you have no car and still have 3 years car payments.

-OR-

do you ring insurance and say someone fished your keys out letterbox and stole car, they say no problem we'll send a loss adjustor, and then pay out so you can replace car.

And that would make you nearly as bad as the car thief.Its very common on here and other forums that people post complaining about insurance premiums being constantly hiked.A big part of that is because people make fraudulent or exaggerated claims but sure it doesnt matter,insurance fraud is a victimless crime right.

OP,I hope your missus gets her car back asap,theft is one of the scummiest crimes there is and sadly threads like this are becoming an all too common sight on this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Jesus wept.

I love watching those uk cop shows and one episode had them search a car belonging to some transient folk.

They pulled a cane out of the boot with a hook on the end. THE COPS SAID it was commonly used for fishing keys out through letter boxes :rolleyes:

Mods - Think this thread needs a post cleanup, bit unfair on OP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Jesus wept.

He surely did.

But that was probably just from reading your contribution.

DONT TAKE OUR WORD FOR IT- PAGE 2, COLUMN 1, under KEYS

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 marryabroad

And that would make you nearly as bad as the car thief.Its very common on here and other forums that people post complaining about insurance premiums being constantly hiked.A big part of that is because people make fraudulent or exaggerated claims but sure it doesnt matter,insurance fraud is a victimless crime right.

OP,I hope your missus gets her car back asap,theft is one of the scummiest crimes there is and sadly threads like this are becoming an all too common sight on this forum.

i couldn't care less whether i was as bad as the thief, as far as i'm concerned i pay insurance and i'll say whatever i have to to get them to pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Gophur wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze why so many people contribute to such threads asking how the car was stolen.

1. It doesn't matter how the car was stolen.

Of course it does, we can all learn from how cars are stolen so that we are more aware on how to protect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

why do so many threads decent into irrelevant arguments so quickly it is so annoying just stick to the point and look out for the ops car

• Registered Users Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Andrew33 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought the 520d was that desirable? Opportunist theft by the sounds of it.
    Or I suppose a common model is easier to get rid of either as a clone or broken for parts.
    Either way OP, I hope you get sorted soon.

only Audi's in the other driveways. ;)

sorry for your loss Op...hope those bastards get caught soon and your car back in perfect condition..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Of course it does, ...........

Not so. The OP was asking for help in finding the car. Then we suddenly get all the amateur investigators wondering how the car was taken. It's nobody's business how the car was taken. It was stolen and the owner wants it back. Anything else is completely OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WestWing

If thieves are actively targeting cars ticking over on driveways it would be beneficial for the wider community to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭iphone4g

How do any of ye know than an insurance company won't pay out if the car was left ticking over on private property?

I don't thing they would have much choice,if that was the case there would be no point of us having any type of insurance.

Advertisement