Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March 2014 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Nausa has now turned to puking . In work. Ugh. Been runny to loo hoping no 1 in there. Or comes in while im throwing up. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭firsttimemammy

Oh you poor thing, Suucee. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Am sooo emotional the past 2 days. Having seen yesterday's news and read something online about 2 cases of really horrific child abuse and neglect I just can't stop crying! Now, although they stories would pull at anyone's heart strings... I'm an absolute mess about it! It must be the hormones! Hubby's in Dublin while I'm down the country... Amd I think I must have cried myself to sleep last night! Cried for abut an hour! And now I've just read another horrible article and I'm crying again. How can parents treat their wee babies in such a horrible way. God I feel so depressed and upset thinking about it. My hormones are just mental the last couple days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Agh Succee :( hope it eases for you soon.

I've been avoiding the news I'm finding it all so depressing: but I find other things to cry at. Like everything. Home and Away, The Next Great Baker, Sofia the First ;)

I was able to eat a bit better today so delighted: ate soup and a sandwich for lunch and toast and spaghetti hoops for dinner: such an improvement! Kept most of it down too so thrilled :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I've no nausea at all, which is freaking me out no end. Tired alright though and getting cravings for salty things. Can't get enough olives, anchovies. Drooling at the thought of a nice mature stilton, but keeping away. Absolutely lacing all food with salt.

Another scan today thankfully, so that will be reassuring (fingers crossed).

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    I've no nausea at all, which is freaking me out no end. Tired alright though and getting cravings for salty things. Can't get enough olives, anchovies. Drooling at the thought of a nice mature stilton, but keeping away. Absolutely lacing all food with salt.

Another scan today thankfully, so that will be reassuring (fingers crossed).

Best of luck with your scan pwurple! Hope all goes well.

Hope the scan goes well today Pwurple!

My nausea hasn't developed to puking, thank God. Hopefully that lasts.

I'm constantly hungry though & a demon until I eat!! I had started off thinking I would try to only eat healthy but when you're ravenous anything will do!!

Scan good again. Yay!

They had me back because they said the size last time was a bit small for my date (I told them my cycle is unusually long, but I guess they didn't factor it in). They wanted to make sure there was the correct growth between the two weeks. Which there was. And a heartbeat in the right place, so all good.

And I got my 12 week appointment sorted for September at the same time, so I'm feeling very efficient. :)

Glad all went well pwurple.
    Im grand today lil naseous but nothing like yesterday. I think it was the meal wens evening. I stuffed myself and wasnt able for it.
    Im not that emotional compared to last time either. But starving too

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

I was beginning to worry because I am quite queasy but no sickness but I guess I should count my blessings !!! Hungry all the time !!!! Boobs so so sore !!!! Got my first hospital app for Sept :) No idea what to expect at it !

• Advertisement

LH2013 wrote: »
    Got my first hospital app for Sept :) No idea what to expect at it !

The first appt is normally the longest: they advise up to 3 hours for it. It can vary from hospital to hospital but they generally go through your family history, and your partners especially asking about things like if either family has a history of clicky hip Or anything else hereditary. They normally decide if you need the gestational diabetes test: if there's a history of diabetes in your immediate family. They check your weight and height. Blood pressure and urine are checked at every appt so get used to having samples with you and remember to get a handful of specimen bottles too ;) you have a bottle of water with you that they tell you to start drinking so you will have a full bladder for your scan. They didn't do bloods on me but my Gp had done a full set the week before so that might have been the reason why! They ask do you intend on breastfeeding too but I don't know if that's every hospital or not.

So basically lots of questions, possibly bloods and a scan! And lots of waiting around :)

cyning wrote: »
    The first appt is normally the longest: they advise up to 3 hours for it. It can vary from hospital to hospital but they generally go through your family history, and your partners especially asking about things like if either family has a history of clicky hip Or anything else hereditary. They normally decide if you need the gestational diabetes test: if there's a history of diabetes in your immediate family. They check your weight and height. Blood pressure and urine are checked at every appt so get used to having samples with you and remember to get a handful of specimen bottles too ;) you have a bottle of water with you that they tell you to start drinking so you will have a full bladder for your scan. They didn't do bloods on me but my Gp had done a full set the week before so that might have been the reason why! They ask do you intend on breastfeeding too but I don't know if that's every hospital or not.

So basically lots of questions, possibly bloods and a scan! And lots of waiting around :)

Thanks a million :):) Its weird when its your first and no one tells you what is going to happen app wise !!
    The nurse at my docs gave me three sample bottles when she did my bloods lol I have the worst veins and they find it hard to get blood samples eek !!!!!

Plenty of water before blood tests makes it easier! And keeping your arms warm and pumping your hands. I've never had an issue in outpatients in the hospital because I get sent to phlebotomy and they just take blood all day long: hopefully it's the same for you!

cyning wrote: »
    Plenty of water before blood tests makes it easier! And keeping your arms warm and pumping your hands. I've never had an issue in outpatients in the hospital because I get sent to phlebotomy and they just take blood all day long: hopefully it's the same for you!

Thanks :) That was her advice too ! I was in a&e once and it took 15 attempts :eek: it was awful !!!

On my last pregnancy I looked horrendous I was bruised up my fingers and the whole way up both my arms: literally black and blue. Don't be afraid to ask for another doc if they can't get it in 2/3 goes

Thanks :) That was her advice too ! I was in a&e once and it took 15 attempts :eek: it was awful !!!

I had an experience like this once and eventually they got it but couldnt stop it. Ended up with blood everywhere.
    But to be fair any time i was in that was pregnancy related it was no problem. Also when i was in EPU recently. The first nurse managed fine but the second time i was there ut was more of a struggle. But nothing like a&e

Thanks guys !! I always dread it and I think it makes it worse !!! Ah sure it will all be ok ;)

Thanks guys !! I always dread it and I think it makes it worse !!! Ah sure it will all be ok ;)

Don't ever let a doctor take blood, they are woeful at it! Nurses or plebotomists all the way. :)

I've tiny veins as well, I always ask for the plebotomist rather than being stabbed repeatedly by someone incompetent with a needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Hi guys,

Just joining here too tentatively as due my first on March 20th as per my LMP but still nervous. Anyway I think I will relax and enjoy it a bit more after the 12 weeks. Bosses are not going to be happy but hey nothing I can do. Am a part time student so wont have my 6m maternity leave but hey it was either that or wait another 2 years so said feck it :)

Also I take great exception to Pwurple saying doctors are not good at taking bloods as one myself :D but having previously been working with premmies I know if I can get blood from a 24 weeker I can get blood from a pregnant lady ;)

Also going private myself in Coombe but no idea about 1st apt of what to expect. Apt at 9 weeks. Do I need a full bladder?urine? no clue :rolleyes:

Congrats polydactyl!! Hope you won't hate me if I say I agree with pwurple about doctors and blood in general :)

For your first appt definitely bring a urine sample they seem to want them at every appointment and its easier to have it then not. Is it your booking appt? If it is they'll probably take a family history first before scan so bring a bottle of water with you: well that's what they tell me to do in my letter for a different hospital anyway!

• Advertisement

Welcome Polydacty, and big congrats!!

7 weeks today for me. Had a very tiring, sicky weekend, and started off the same this morning, but I must have eaten the right food at lunch-time cos I feel so much better this afternoon. :)

I have been so queasy since 5 pm yesterday :( eugh ! Nothing I eat makes it better and now have a pounding headache ! The joys !!!

Congrats polydacty.
    My god im so tired. I really cant function. Slept 9 hours last night. Then wasnt due in work till 2 so when lo was having her nap i had a snooze. Not long home from work and im fit for the bed. Honestly i can nearly feel my eyes drooping. I suppose its better than being sick.
    Im back with gp tomorrow so hoping for another scan. Might get to see more than a little black blob.

Hi all! Congrats to the new mammies to be! Got my first appointment and scan tomorrow with my obs. I'm 8 weeks now. Can't wait but so nervous!!! Hope it all goes well. The first scan is sooooo nerve racking and I hope everything is going to be ok.

Hah, welcome polydactyl... My own GP is actually great with a needle too, she did a stint in peadiatrics, so probably uses the child needles on me I'm such a wuss. I meant all those 'other' ones of course. ;)

We will all get nice fat juicy veins towards the end of pregnancy anyway hopefully.

Good luck with scan sligo1. Great to be getting such nice early scan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I'm due the start of April but I'm on my own there for now so said I'd say hi to all you ladies.. just reading about your bloods ordeals and I had it hard once the first time round when (older) nurse seen my tattoos she murdered my arm and went in blind she could see my veins and went somewhere new :( well that was the only time no more after that even GTT test was fine

hope ye don't mind intrusion

Good luck with scan today Sligo!

Congrats Synyster... I'm delighted for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Thank you :-) and good luck Sligo

Congrats Synyster. I bet it's no time before you have lots joining you in the April thread!

• Advertisement

Just home from my appointment. Was nice to see the little heartbeat on the screen. And very relieving aswell :-).

Advertisement