Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[MERGED] Retailer Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

TonyM. wrote: »
    Overclockers.uk are not honerable people to deal with i bought a mainboard off them ,the accessory pack was missing including the sound card when it arrived. I got no satisfaction from them and would have taken a case to the small claims court if they were based here, in the end i gave up and gave away the board which never worked properly.

just reminded me of something. On my last build I bought a corsair dominator fan and discovered the screws were missing. Emailed Overclockers and they replied straight away that they'd brought that up with Corsair as a few people had the same problem due to the package splitting. Didn't have to rma, they sent me out another one free so got a back up now if the one in my machine fails.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I have had huge issues with overclockers. Once was when a dead x1950 pro died on me, emailed ocuk and told them if they can not replace the card i would like a refund but to another cedit card as the one i used to order i cancelled, told them a credit not would be fine too. They initially agreed to do this so i was happy, but then processed they refunded to the old credit card. Money never hit that bank as the account was closed, and overclockers refused to do anything about this. Never used them since and never will again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pixmania. Non-existent customer support. Sent emails to about 10 addresses, got one automatic reply between them all that was absolutely nothing to do with my query. They have a good selection of stuff and occasionally excellent prices but after the time it took a few weeks for 'guaranteed next day delivery' with the item marked as 'in stock' and they refused to refund me the postage after I FINALLY got through to them....Just no. No, no....never again. I would gladly pay 20-30 quid more for the same item elsewhere for peace of mind, to some that might seem ludicrous but just try Pixmania customer support.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

I sent 2 asus motherboards back to them on wednesday, do you have a number for them terror ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DanishViking

Hiya,
    I'm currently looking at building a new pc, and thinking of buying from Komplett.ie
    Any one heard anything about them(Good or Bad)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

Komplett are decent, always compare their prices to dabs.ie tho to see if they're competitive. You can collect your order from their stores Blanch as well.
    If you are talking about Komplett's PC builder then I can't comment, never used it.

Hiya,
    I'm currently looking at building a new pc, and thinking of buying from Komplett.ie
    Any one heard anything about them(Good or Bad)?

never had a problem with them, a lot of people use them here. Support is decent enough plus they've just opened a collection depot in Blancherstown which knocks down your shipping costs if you live in the Dublin area. http://www.komplett.ie/k/k.asp?action=custserv&topic=pickupopeningtimes

There's also a forum on boards specifically for Komplett -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=242.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

www.hardwareversand.de

Their customer car is famously sickning. Not only are they very rude but tried to take €900 and cancel my order!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Wcool

After some good stories here, I tried hardwareversand.de as well.
    I have to admit, so far it hasn't been good at all, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt as this is the first time.

Here is my story:

In early August(!) I order about 7 or 8 components to build a new multi-media computer.
    But I noticed I forgot this:

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=18287&agid=785

It's a tv card. So I tried to email them: no response.
    Then I called them, didn't work through normal landline, had to use Skype Out.
    No response, then I called them during the weekend: immediate response!
    In my broken German I asked the to add the TV card and all seemed ok.
    I transferred the full amount.

First: the order never showed the new tv tuner card. Well that could be my fault of course, adding stuff after hitting the submit button.

Second: after 10 days or so, in which nothing happened, my order was cancelled!

I called and they assured me that all was ok. Then I waited for 4 weeks!
    They finally replied on my emails and told me all was ok, but needed to wait for the TV card.. Every reply took 3 days..
    Finally after 8 weeks I started threatening with consumer organisations and they split the order.

I have the goods minus the tv tuner, and all is components worked.
    BUT I am now waiting for 10 weeks on the tv tuner card. It's still not there.
    Every couple of days, the expected 'In stock' date is pushed back.

You know, if they would give me some sort of option, but no.
    More irritating is the slow response on emails and the lack of tracking in what state an order is.

I will try them again (if I ever get my TV card), and if I have a bad experience again, it's schluss und nicht mehr...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Manties wrote: »
    Once was when a dead x1950 pro died on me,
    double negative, does that mean it came back to life? :pac:

I used hardwareversand for the first time a couple of weeks ago and other than the feeling of not having a clue what was going on everything went grand

heres a list of my status from the order

2008-10-07 at 11:42 Online-Order
    2008-10-15 at 16:07 Es wurde noch kein Zahlungseingang festgestellt.
    2008-10-16 at 13:15 The goods are ready for collection or assembling.
    2008-10-17 at 09:29 The invoice was made.

I now have the goods so the online status is pretty useless! I also never recieved my tracking number?

I certainly would use them again, but only if the savings were very good.

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys... but monkeys are fairly cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I decided to use harwareversand for my new build.
    I ordered everything on the 3rd of october and did the moeny transfer on the same day.
    The money went through on the 9th and i immediately received an e-mail saying the motherboard i had ordered wasnt available for another week. So everythings fine and a week goes by and the motherboard comes back in but i hear nothing.
    After about another week i e-mail them querying what is going on and the get back to me saying that the motherboard is permanetly out of stock and i need to choose another one. I e-mailed them back asking for the motherboard to be refunded and to ship everything else. I didnt get a response to this e-mail till the 24th a full 7 days after i had sent my e-mail.
    Anyway now everything is cool and the stuff is with DHL.
    The prices are good and the range of stock is excellent but the whole thing of having no idea of whats going on is a little unnerving.
    Id only use them again for doing a bulk order, from now ill be predominantly using komplett or dabs simply because they are easier to contact and speak english.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

I placed an order on hardwareversand's site on Monday morning. I did the bank transfer immediately online with Banking365. On the following Wednesday at about 06.50am I got an email confirming that they'd received payment. Wednesday evening I got another email saying that it had been assembled and left for collection by the courier.

Thursday evening I could see online that the package was in England, and Friday afternoon it got to Dublin. This Monday just past being a bank holiday, it didn't move from Dublin until Tuesday morning. I took delivery in Co. Cork at about 11.30am on Tuesday....5 working days from order to receipt...pretty good.

Everything was as specified and apparently in good condition.

The only bad things so far were that whoever assembled it tied up the TriCool speed switch (its a Sonata III case) with the rest of the cabling, so I had to cut the cable ties to fish it out and then re-tidy.

Also I can't get the fan on the Club3d HD4850 to slow down...it pretty damn loud :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I use Overclockers.co.uk a lot and only problem I've ever had with them was this week. Ordered the EEEbox + 19" monitor for the kids plus an Acer G24 gaming monitor.

The eeebox and the 19" monitor arrived on Thursday as promised but the G24 was missing. Called Overclockers and they were grand to me on the phone, they'd already realised their mistake before I called and had the G24 in shipment since the Wednesday (I ordered everything on Monday night).

The G24 arrived this morning from DHL, all perfectly fine and Overclockers incurred the cost of the second DHL as it was their fault.

Always found them really good to deal with to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I'm trying to buy a few items off dabs.ie but everytime I go to purchase the items I get

I've tried a few other cards and the same problem. The issue is that there is no where in the dabs site to specify a password for your credit card even if I did have one? I contacted dabs this morning but they have yet to respond. Anyone else get this problem?

I had the same problem - ''address not werifyed'' and their response to emails or even web form was more than slow - 28 hours. The order was canceled and bought from other suplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Overclockers are fine..stupid delviery rates so only worth it if you're putting a large order. They are at least organised if not always immediately receptive when you have an issue. Dabs are good now, komplett still uncompetitive but are quite ognsied...I've never used the german guys they look a bit shoddy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

I just got a confirmation email from HWV saying my payment was through, which is quick enough as I only sent the standard credit transfer Monday (vs the more expensive express). And I sent it from BOI in Letterkenny So it still had to go through my account in Sligo and then to Germany. I'm going on the assumption that my parts should be here within a week of today as everything was in stock at time of order and confirmation.
    **Here's hoping**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jezza10

DamoKen wrote: »
    Komplett

Komplett.ie is still running? They closed down the co.uk site http://www.komplett.co.uk

I have bought from there a number of times and never had a problem - I was sorry to see them shut up over here :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Just off the phone from Overclockers who told me they're no longer willing to sell to me since I've apparently generated too many RMA's, even though all of them bar one were from a single set of items where the board kept frying the RAM. It doesn't matter that their techs confirmed the dead items, it seems I'm being punished for daring to ask for working goods.

stevejazzx wrote: »
    Overclockers are fine..stupid delviery rates so only worth it if you're putting a large order.
    I got a mail a while back saying they've cut their delivery charges, haven't bought anything since last year though so not sure by how much.

I agree they at least until last year had very high charges to Ireland.
    jezza10 wrote:
    Komplett.ie is still running? They closed down the co.uk site http://www.komplett.co.uk

yep still going strong, just recently opened a collection centre in Dublin. Heard they shut a few of their operations down overseas alright.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Ordering stuff from PixMania can be... interesting - you never know what language your items will turn up in :D For that reason I recommend avoiding them for language- or region-critical goods, especially electrical goods (whoops, that's half the site! :p )

And Dabs have improved a lot in the past year - still annoying as hell, but just about useable. Who the hell did the deliveries for them in the beginning? Those awful Interlink cowboys? :mad: In any case they use UPS now, which has the advantage that your goods are actually delivered to addresses outside Dublin 4! :D I couldn't even get the stuff to turn up a year ago, and gave up on them, but things have changed for the better, so courier issues should no longer hold people back from buying from them.

Just two rules for ordering stuff from Dabs:
    1) NEVER order an item that's not in stock the minute you order,
    and
    2) NEVER order an item that's not in stock the minute you order :D

If you do, the due date will just keep getting pushed back ad infinitum even if they were due the next day... reminds me of the old pub gag with the sign saying "Happy Hour - 6pm Tomorrow"... its always tomorrow :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ive had bad dealings with scan.co.uk ill never buy from them again.

positive from overclockers.co.uk
    positive from elara.ie very helpfull
    positiive from itdirect.com i rate them very high
    neg from maplins im never buying from them again
    pos from peats.ie tho i dont like buying from them as i believe they are expensive they are very helpfull and the fact i can always call in is a bonus

also i think quoting the bit below and adding yourself to the numbers works better then people having to read every post just quote the below piece with your comment above it and when somone else is adding they remove your comment and add there own.
    that way you just go to the last page to see the overall pic

Ankermann
    neg = 1
    pos = 0

Dabs.ie
    neg = 1
    Pos = 1

elara.ie
    neg = 0
    pos = 1

hardwareversand.de
    neg = 1
    pos = 1

itdirect.ie
    neg = 0
    pos = 1

Komplett.ie
    neg = 0
    pos = 2

maplins
    neg = 1
    pos = 0

Overclockers.uk
    neg = 4
    pos = 5

Peats.com
    neg = 0
    pos = 1

Pixmania
    neg = 2
    pos = 0

Point of View (POV).
    neg = 1
    pos = 0

Q-tec
    neg = 1
    pos = 0

scan.co.uk
    neg = 1
    pos = 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭frozenbullet

Hardwareversand +1 .Placed my order on thursday last week and arrived this thursday.Was sent the same day i ordered ! :) No problems at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

does anyone know where I can buy a new desktop with XP as the only OS?
    I know dell still do XP, but there seems to be Vista in there as well?
    and they charge extra anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

does anyone know where I can buy a new desktop with XP as the only OS?
    I know dell still do XP, but there seems to be Vista in there as well?
    and they charge extra anyway

Have a look at the build section of

Komplett

or

Ankermann

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

Hi,

I recently bought This DVD drive from hardwareversand.de. Unfortunately it has gone tits up and decided not to read any discs or function in any way, shape or form. Super. I updated the firmware but it made no difference, if you google the product name you can see a few other people had the same issue. Samsung website says it has a 1 year warranty.

Has anyone ever returned anything to HardwareVersand and what are they like? Am I better off getting a new DVD drive or just try to get a replacement?

P.S. Congratulations Samsung you have now made my enemies list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It'll be fine, Your dealing with a proper German reputable company............... not an Irish "take your money once and screw you" outfit :D They won't even question it.

I've RMA'd a hard drive with the "click of death", just contact Hardwareversand and they'll get you to fill a claim form (downloadable in pdf on their website) which you put in the packaging and send it back. Keep your receipt for postage as they will refund you, although I didn't bother, was only about €3, didn't bother with insurance or registering as it was broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Has anyone had any experience dealing with this crowd? Thanks to the low pound it's working out about €100 cheaper than dabs or komplett for a new build. Would like to know if anyone's had any horror stories with them before I buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭alansweeney100

Hi Maki, I've used them on three occasions and never had a problem. Just be aware their shipping was Very expensive when I used them.

Thanks, There isn't an English version of that form is there. My German isn't so good, Ach that is not eine booby will only get me so far :)

• Advertisement

There isn't an English version of that form is there.

I got the English version. Anyone considering buying from HardwareV might want to keep it. It can be hard to find on there site as its on the old version of the site not the new one.

LINK

Advertisement