Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2009 Subaru Impreza Diesel Paint Problems

Options
  • 18-04-2010 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for people's opinions on this. I'm having problems with the paintwork on the rear sil area of my car. I bought it new in March 2009. Less than a year later, I noticed that a lot of paint was damaged at the bottom of the car at the rear. The probem is on the same areas of the rear on both sides of the car. I've posted some pics.

So, I was at a Subaru main dealer, and I showed it to the service manager. He sent photos to Subaru Ireland. They in turn said they sent them to the factory. End result, they said it was down to stone chipping (from driving on loose surfaces). And as a result it wasn't covered under warranty. I was recommended to get some mudflaps. That statement peed me off a little, as there are mudflaps on it front and rear.

So, in your opinion, do you reckon this is fair comment by Subaru. Now, I know the roads are terrible recently. I'm not saying I never drive on loose surfaces, but a lot of my driving is on National roads and Motorways. None of the other cars at home are suffering from this kind of damage.

The car also came with some plastic protectors over the paint. They just cover a small area of the car near the rear. Even the paint under these are marked too.

So, what do you think?
    And as well, does anybody have any reccommendatios on repairing the affected areas.
    Thanks a lot! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Arrgh! Please resize those photos, my eyes hurt just looking at them. Or at least put in a pic that's in focus!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

Confab wrote: »
    Arrgh! Please resize those photos, my eyes hurt just looking at them. Or at least put in a pic that's in focus!
    x2 ya would need a 32'' monitor to see them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Lets hope they sort that out before next year so.

10tdi_nyasb003_w800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Wow, even on my dell 30" monitor, I still ended up scrolling.

Can you get some photos in a normal size and in focus and we can try to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I have something similar on my car. Does it look as if the blue paint (basecoat) has come off in patches, yet the clearcoat on top looks relatively OK. Not stonechips you can feel but as if some of the blue paint flecks have all but disappeared underneath the clearcoat. It only happens on painted plastic parts not metal ones and it is far more noticeable straight after you wash the car, so when wet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Shadow Dancer

sorry guys about the big pics! :eek:

No, it the paint on the metal that's affected. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

some parts of it look like stone chips but at the bottom of the third pic it actually looks like the paint has bubbled:eek:, it must be a chemical reaction with the paint or something,

i assume its not supposed to have that "bubbly" look?!

edit: oh crap, bubbling look is normal,

By the way I have mudflaps on mine, front and rear and this still happened. I had an oil leak some time back, and assumed this had probably been the route case of the problem. But now I'm convinced that painted plastics have such a thin coat of paint, this is going to happen sooner or later. Most Jap cars have pretty crap paintwork anyway, but this is definitely Subaru's achilles heel. Waxing (too late now) would slow down the deterioration but it isn't going to prevent the problem, in the long run. I'd kick up a fuss as it shouldn't happen so soon on an '09 - and if you can show them that the paint has lifted (underneath) without the outer clearcoat been damaged (still perfectly smooth to the touch), you may have a case.

bladebrew wrote: »
    some parts of it look like stone chips but at the bottom of the third pic it actually looks like the paint has bubbled:eek:, it must be a chemical reaction with the paint or something,

i assume its not supposed to have that "bubbly" look?!

That bubbly look is normal. It is only underneath the skirts, anti-chip coating of sorts (supposedly:rolleyes:). But the paint lifting above it (white patches) is what I'm talking about. That is all plastic. And the section above that again is metal (door/hatch panel) and I'm surprised it has been damaged as well. Stone chipping may be the route cause but it still shouldn't do that. Of all the cars I have had down the years, it only ever happened with my Subaru.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

TomMc wrote: »
    That bubbly look is normal. It is only underneath the side skirts, anti-chip coating of sorts (supposedly:rolleyes:). But the paint lifting above it (white patches) is what I'm talking about. That is all plastic. And the section above that again is metal (door panel) and I'm surprised it has been damaged as well. Stone chipping may be the route cause but it still shouldn't do that. Of all the cars I have had down the years, it only ever happened with my Subaru.

sorry:o i just remembered i was washing my car last week and it has the same bubbled look at the side,:o it just looked strange close up,
    it actually looks like you went rallying in it, i drove over some recently filled in potholes a few days back and could actually hear the the stones bouncing off the car but it barely made a mark on the car,
    could a paint finish be that flawed though,

• Advertisement

Flawed indeed. The strange thing is that the clearcoat will look fine in most places, just the odd chip as with any car, but the colour underneath looks awful. It is weird, stones hit the paint, they loosen or remove some of the colour coat / metallic flakes, yet the clearcoat on top remains relatively unmarked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I cant see any pics but I must go out today and check the leggy and see if its got the same problems...

Advertisement