Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grading system

• 12-11-2009 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Can someone tell me the percentages required for A1,A2 ETC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

From what I understand it varies from course to course. Email one of your lecturers or your class rep, or post your course here and maybe someone will be able to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 THEDUDEINWHITE

It depends on the department and lecturer, an A1 can range anywhere from >75% or >91% etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

It depends on the department and lecturer, an A1 can range anywhere from >75% or >91% etc.

While this is the common view.... UL actually has a standardised system Which is here http://www.berry.edu/academics/study/documents/Limerick_grading_scale.pdf

At the same time it does change slightly .... I repeat slightly from dept. to dept. but never buy more than 5% per grade.

Either way its best that you ask your lecturer.

Just to clarify..... THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A CURVE!!!! i.e. if UL can graduate all students with an A1 they will!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Blendage

DJCR wrote: »
    While this is the common view.... UL actually has a standardised system Which is here http://www.berry.edu/academics/study/documents/Limerick_grading_scale.pdf

At the same time it does change slightly .... I repeat slightly from dept. to dept. but never buy more than 5% per grade.

Either way its best that you ask your lecturer.

Just to clarify..... THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A CURVE!!!! i.e. if UL can graduate all students with an A1 they will!!!

That scale does not specify or recommend a % for the grades, so an A1 could still vary between 75% to 91%. I have had modules where 25% was a D2 and other modules where 35% was a D2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Gambra

A1 First Honours - 4.00 75+%
    A2 First Honours - 3.60 70-74%
    B1 Honours 2.1 - 3.20 65-69%
    B2 Honours 2.1 - 3.00 60-64%
    B3 Honours 2.2 - 2.80 55-59%
    C1 Honours 2.2 - 2.60 50-54%
    C2 Third Honours - 2.40 45-49%
    C3 Third Honours - 2.00 40-44%
    D1 Compensating Fail - 1.60 35-39%
    D2 Compensating Fail - 1.20 30-34%
    F Fail 0.00 Less than 30% No credit awarded
    NG No Grade 0.00 No credit awarded

That's the standard.. It reads Letter Grade - Grade Rank - QCA Value - Percentage Mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 blinux

I know this is totally off the point, but i want to move into college for the second semester of this year ie January. My number one choice is College Court. I went to the Accommadation Office, and they only really deal with on campus accommadation? Does anyone have any idea how i go about checking out off campus Accommadation. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slyph

That can't be right !

75-70% for a first class honours, what a joke if it's true!

Seems too easy :confused:

slyph wrote: »
    That can't be right !

75-70% for a first class honours, what a joke if it's true!

Seems too easy :confused:

Try It :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The percentages I get, the whole QCA **** is over my head altogether.

EDIT: ah now I get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

blinux wrote: »
    I know this is totally off the point, but i want to move into college for the second semester of this year ie January. My number one choice is College Court. I went to the Accommadation Office, and they only really deal with on campus accommadation? Does anyone have any idea how i go about checking out off campus Accommadation. Thanks
    outside the accomodation office there is a notice board for accoodation which usually shows rooms for rent in elm park college court etc. or if you just walk around college court there are usually signs on windows of houses where rooms are available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

DJCR wrote: »

Do you think everyone getting an A1 is a good thing for the college? it is not.

There can be a curve at the discretion of the lecturer.

Though it nearly always works in the students favor. If the majority of the class done poorly then the marking seem may be "adjusted" in order to move everyone up a grade or more.

john_cappa wrote: »
    Do you think everyone getting an A1 is a good thing for the college? it is not.

There can be a curve at the discretion of the lecturer.

Though it nearly always works in the students favor. If the majority of the class done poorly then the marking seem may be "adjusted" in order to move everyone up a grade or more.

THere are many checks in Place....

lets take for example the BBS Degree because a) I did it and know it best
    b) A lot of students do it.

THere are many checks in place in the is course to check that it is up to standard.

No. 1) It has EPAS accreditation which means all modules and the program have to be up to EPAS standard.

No. 2) It has to be ECTS compliant... this ensures there is parity across the EU so that a Degree in Business in Italy is the same as one here. It also makes it easier for students to do erasmus.

No. 3) External Examiners have to A) Read over the exam papers to make sure they are up to standard - If they feel that the exam paper is too hard they may say it to the lecturer who would change the exam or the marking scheme accordingly.

B) To make sure they have been corrected correctly and in a fair manner to all students.

Therefore if all students got A's with all thee checks in place I'm sure you would see advertisments for UL fly at high mast.

Also, how do you propose this lecturer implements said curve.... issues such as favourtism, race, gender may arise (Who gets higher grades... who doesn't... why)

As I said, if UL could graduate all students with a 1.1 they would ...... obviously they are not going to do it by lowering education levels and getting rid of excellence awards that they have gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Yes in a perfect the world that is how it works.......... lol

Looking into the system is very much different than looking out. Curves do exist and as i said usually benefit all the students.

External examiners! big lol

Advertisement