Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interclub Comps 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Any of you lads played barton cup before? How does the handicap work exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Combined 14 handicap.
    We start getting ready this weekend. Playind Druids heath in a practice match for barton cup

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Nozebleed wrote: »
    Any of you lads played barton cup before? How does the handicap work exactly?

Straight forward combined 14 with no maximum i.e. can play a 16 with a plus 2. Matches are played off scratch. Normal combinations are 9 & 5, 8 & 6 or 7 & 7 but can have anything provided it at least comes to 14. Can of course go over the combined 14 but you get no allowance for the extra high handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

Straight forward combined 14 with no maximum i.e. can play a 16 with a plus 2. Matches are played off scratch. Normal combinations are 9 & 5, 8 & 6 or 7 & 7 but can have anything provided it at least comes to 14. Can of course go over the combined 14 but you get no allowance for the extra high handicap.

I actually played against this exact combination in the semi final about 10 years ago ! We came second in the match :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Rikand wrote: »
    You could also probably have a think about Junior Cup. At 6/7 you'd be on the outskirts of the team, but you should be very competitive for it!

I'm currently off 8 by my lowest last year was 6. Manager running the panel wants me to attend and be involved in the practice etc. While I don't think I'll make the cut, he seems to be confident if I can find some form in the run up I'd have a good shout.

I actually havn't look into it in much detail. Is Junior cup not strokes qualification and then into matchplay or something? I've a pretty strong matchplay record I guess for the club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Ciaranra wrote: »
    Combined 14 handicap.
    We start getting ready this weekend. Playind Druids heath in a practice match for barton cup
    Best of luck Ciaran, you boys should be strong in this given that nice new shiney pennant hanging in your clubhouse. Our mob playing in the Garden County for their practice.

Did you put yourself forward for any teams in blessington

Did you put yourself forward for any teams in blessington
    Them all that i am eligible for, Pierce purcell is my level being off 12, need to loose at 2 shots to get into the provincial towns squad, thats the one that i would love to play in its you and your opponent nowhere to hid or blame only yourself.

Pierce purcell is s great comp. You should be ready for prov towns next year. You should get to 10 no prob

Pierce purcell is s great comp. You should be ready for prov towns next year. You should get to 10 no prob
    Thanks, i reckon i will drop one on my own and then we will see. would love to go get leesons and then become some young Pro's pet project, maybe work to a planned practice program so he could say to other middle age men, "Hey if i can get him to single figures what could i do for you" Leesons are just too expensive though. Anyway back on thread. Just looked at that Duggan Cup Edenderry GC run, it is an over 50's comp, looks good now that i am unfortunately eligible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm currently off 8 by my lowest last year was 6. Manager running the panel wants me to attend and be involved in the practice etc. While I don't think I'll make the cut, he seems to be confident if I can find some form in the run up I'd have a good shout.

I actually havn't look into it in much detail. Is Junior cup not strokes qualification and then into matchplay or something? I've a pretty strong matchplay record I guess for the club

Yep, stroke qualifying and then matchplay.
    Thats probably why he wants you so, your matchplay record. I prefer the matchplay side of the game myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

Clearly the wrong audience to post this to but hey...have to say I could never warm to inter club or get any interest in it. I know I'm well in the minority in this. Reading thru the posts here it's obvious fellas get really energised by it and love it.

I always just found it a bit excessive and over the top; trials and practice matches and dinners afterwards and such. I don't mind putting all the preparation in but for my own Matchplay in the club or the singles comps. Winning for the club and all that? Meh.

I've always turned down any team offers because of work but, honestly, it's a convenient excuse. Give me a good scratch cup or a singles open any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Clearly the wrong audience to post this to but hey...have to say I could never warm to inter club or get any interest in it. I know I'm well in the minority in this. Reading thru the posts here it's obvious fellas get really energised by it and love it.

I always just found it a bit excessive and over the top; trials and practice matches and dinners afterwards and such. I don't mind putting all the preparation in but for my own Matchplay in the club or the singles comps. Winning for the club and all that? Meh.

I've always turned down any team offers because of work but, honestly, it's a convenient excuse. Give me a good scratch cup or a singles open any day.

Did your ever play team sports?

Each to their own. Personally i like the buzz of been part of a team

cairny wrote: »
    Did your ever play team sports?

Yeah, plenty of soccer and gah. I see what you're getting at of course, not a team player, etc. and you're probably on the money - honestly, I didn't lose too much sleep if we lost or won a game. Sport for me was always more a vehicle to keep fit and be competitive, than wanting to do it for the team or the community.

In fairness I wouldn't mind playing senior cup but that's just a purely personal thing again, it's an endorsement that you're the best in the club or close to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Yeah, plenty of soccer and gah. I see what you're getting at of course, not a team player, etc. and you're probably on the money - honestly, I didn't lose too much sleep if we lost or won a game. Sport for me was always more a vehicle to keep fit and be competitive, than wanting to do it for the team or the community.

In fairness I wouldn't mind playing senior cup but that's just a purely personal thing again, it's an endorsement that you're the best in the club or close to it.

Didn't mean it as a criticism. I get a buzz like I used to in team sports in the inter club stuff. Just thought that if you hadn't played other team sports maybe you didn't know what you're missing but that's not the case.

I guess you're just not a pack animal :)

Ah no criticism taken. I know I'm in the minority. Just found it interesting how much fellas are into it from reading thru this thread and the kick they get from representing the club.

I tried to convince a few golf buddies recently that we should shut our club's bar also - to save money as we're all propping it up each year with levies - and that didn't go down too well either. Not a club man etc! They're probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Ah no criticism taken. I know I'm in the minority. Just found it interesting how much fellas are into it from reading thru this thread and the kick they get from representing the club.

I tried to convince a few golf buddies recently that we should shut our club's bar also - to save money as we're all propping it up each year with levies - and that didn't go down too well either. Not a club man etc! They're probably right.

your a bit of an individualist so "Seve" ;)

your a bit of an individualist so "Seve" ;)

I'm thinking the words 'pot' and 'kettle' in my head right now! Vive la difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Any tips for a newbie ??

I'm playing in the first round of the leinster fourballs this saturday and it's my first time playing any sort of inter club golf and my first go at playing fourball match play.

I'm playing in my home club so I should be alot better than last friday when golfgraffix game me a lesson in the island

Am I right in thinking that h'caps do not come into play once the pairings are sorted ?

Everyone goes to scratch and best score on hole wins it for their team ?

Also can you change the order in putting.

e.g. I've a tap in for a par but my partner has a 12 yard putt for a birdie. I can go first and secure the par allowing him to have a good go at the birdie ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Lucan beat Hermitage 3-2 in the preliminary round of the Barton Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Moate are playing away v New Forest in the Barton Cup so that's 3 pairs away for us and 2 pairs at home. 18th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

totally in the same boat, turned down the interest that came my way when asked would i play interclub stuff after getting to the final of the irish open matchplay this year. this year its topgolfer events and another go at the irish open matchplay, wana try win another scratch cup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Barton Cup starts for us today, the first round always heralds the start of the season for me.

We have Malahide this afternoon, I am playing away and the nerves are already kicking in. Unlike previous posters I love inter club competitions, I seem to play more consistant in them, I think it is having a partner to curb my aggressiveness helps my game, stops me going for everything.

Beautiful day for it.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Barton Cup starts for us today, the first round alway heralds the start of the season for me.

We have Malahide this afternoon, I am playing away and the nerves are already kicking in. Unlike previous posters I love inter club competitions, I seem to play more consistant in them, I think it is having a partner to curb my aggressiveness helps my game, shops me going for everything.

Beautiful day for it.

J

Good luck J, nerves are a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Barton Cup starts for us today, the first round always heralds the start of the season for me. We have Malahide this afternoon.

Great game today, very competitive. We won one away and two at home so through to the next round.

J

Anybody managing a team this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Lucan beat Carton House in the 1st round of the mixed Foursomes

Millicent beat Moate in the 1st round of mixed foursomes.

• Advertisement

Mount Wolsley beat Blessington Lakes in the Barton Cup 3 2.With the lakside men having 3 matches away it was always going to be tough. Blessington lakes won one at home and one away with of 2 the other matches being in doubt till the end.

Advertisement