Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help setting up/scanning for satellite TV channells in WMC7

• 19-04-2010 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi all,

I just got a DVB S2 TV sat card working with WMC7. It is great! However, I have some questions about how to get the right TV channels from the right satellites.

I am trying to get channels from the following satellites, which I think are the ones that provide TV channels from my area (Dublin) and south of Europe:
    • ASTRA 1D, 3A (23.5E)
    • ASTRA 1E, 1F, 1G, 1H, 1KR, 2C (19.2E)
    • ASTRA 2A B D (28.2E) EUROBIRD1 (28.5E)

What is the right method to scan for channels?
    The issues I have are the following:
    Wen I go in WMC7 to Settings -> TV SETUP there are two options:
    • Satellite transponder scan
    • Set up TV signal.

If I choose " Set up TV signal", I only find channels in "ASTRA 2A B D (28.2E) EUROBIRD1 (28.5E)". However, if I do "Satellite transponder scan", which I thought it was only to scan for new channels, I find hundreds of channels in the 3 satellites.
    What is the difference between both options?

Some channels do not seem to work
    Also, some of the channels which show in the Guide do not seem to display any signal at all. This is annoying because it happens with channels I am really interested in watching( "TVE International" and "Arte"), which I know can be watched from Dublin.
    Does anybody know what is going on?

ITV HD
    I cannot find at all ITV HD. I thought ITV was transmitting in HD?

If someone can help me to get my head around this, it would really appreciate it!

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Astra 2D is the one for all our familiar channles, like BBC etc.
    ITV HD is one I'd like replys from other people on too. It was a Red Button feature on ITV1, so because of that it came up on Media Centre as a channel with the label 10510 or something similar. You then had to make a change in the registry to enable it to work, and I had it working up to recently, where I'm getting no audio from it now. But I know ITV have it set up as a full channel now on it's own, so maybe I'm only still watching the Red button one, which may not be there for much longer. Based on that, I've tried scanning for new channels and found none.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭meob

There is ITV HD (red button access...) and ITV1 HD new channel

I have been unable to get ITV1 HD on my freesat tuners, i'm also using astra 2D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

see here for documentation and fix for the ITVHD issue
    http://thegreenbutton.net/forums/t/87779.aspx?PageIndex=10

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pjuegos

Thanks for your posts and the link to ITV HD issue fix

One question, each sat TV channel comes with a number. I want to edit those numbers to change the order in which the channels appear in the WMC guide. Will that channel editing constitute a problem afterwards?

i dont think so,
    check out guide tool for a quick way to edit your channels

• Advertisement

Hi all,

I have some issues to get the guide and default scanning for EUROBIRD1sat channels.

This is the process I am following:

I am point the dish to: ASTRA 2A B D (28.2E) EUROBIRD1 (28.5E)

After doing a basic "Set up TV signal" in WMC, I have realised that I only get the ASTRA channels in both WMC and TV guide tool.
    Then, by doing the transponder scan, I receive the EUROBIRD1channels. (plus a lot of rubbish...:-))

Do yo know why the EUROBIRD1channels do not appear in both WMC and TV guide tool?
    TV guide tool does not even show the line up to link the channels to EUROBIRD1 channel guides

cheers

there has to be guide data available and most of those channels wont have data available, never mind provide it to microsoft for use in 7mc.

if you can get the data in xml format its very simple to import it to 7mc, look for a tool called big screen epg.

Thanks

I did not know that tool. I will see what I can do with it.

I was using a tool called "TV Guide Tool" http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool, which is great I have to say. However, for some reason it does not show the EUROBIRD transponder

What I can not understand is why Mecia center gives the option to connect to the position "ASTRA 2A B D (28.2E) EUROBIRD1 (28.5E)", but then only recognises th channels and downloads the guide ot ASTRA

Cheers

like i said above, channel lists on the transponder are easy to create and windows provide these. this is what you have.
    the problem you dont have guide data, this is becuase either the channels arent providing it to microsoft or microsoft arent paying to receive it.

guide data costs money and microsoft generally only provide it for the core channels in each area.

I got you now

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭illingworth22

pjuegos wrote: »
    Hi all,

I just got a DVB S2 TV sat card working with WMC7. It is great! However, I have some questions about how to get the right TV channels from the right satellites.

I am trying to get channels from the following satellites, which I think are the ones that provide TV channels from my area (Dublin) and south of Europe:
    • ASTRA 1D, 3A (23.5E)
    • ASTRA 1E, 1F, 1G, 1H, 1KR, 2C (19.2E)
    • ASTRA 2A B D (28.2E) EUROBIRD1 (28.5E)

What is the right method to scan for channels?
    The issues I have are the following:
    Wen I go in WMC7 to Settings -> TV SETUP there are two options:
    • Satellite transponder scan
    • Set up TV signal.

If I choose " Set up TV signal", I only find channels in "ASTRA 2A B D (28.2E) EUROBIRD1 (28.5E)". However, if I do "Satellite transponder scan", which I thought it was only to scan for new channels, I find hundreds of channels in the 3 satellites.
    What is the difference between both options?

Some channels do not seem to work
    Also, some of the channels which show in the Guide do not seem to display any signal at all. This is annoying because it happens with channels I am really interested in watching( "TVE International" and "Arte"), which I know can be watched from Dublin.
    Does anybody know what is going on?

ITV HD
    I cannot find at all ITV HD. I thought ITV was transmitting in HD?

If someone can help me to get my head around this, it would really appreciate it!

Cheers

Which Tuner did you get and where from?

Well, what you have just quoted there it was a lack of understanding from my behalf.
    I am only getting channels from the following postions ASTRA 2A B D (28.2E) EUROBIRD1 (28.5E)

The card is the Technotrend S2 - 3200

I got it from the dvshop http://www.dvbshop.net/i

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭illingworth22

pjuegos wrote: »
    Well, what you have just quoted there it was a lack of understanding from my behalf.
    I am only getting channels from the following postions ASTRA 2A B D (28.2E) EUROBIRD1 (28.5E)

The card is the Technotrend S2 - 3200

I got it from the dvshop http://www.dvbshop.net/i

Just seen on another forum that this is supposed to work http://www.buydvb.net/pcie-dvbs2-dual-tuner-tv-card_p11.html for Freesat

Advertisement