Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are good vegetarian sources of iron?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

Special K, Cornflakes and weetabix have a fair amount of iron in them. Handy things for breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

seamus wrote: »

Good link, seamus but here's the Top 10 from that site, rather than the next 20 :D
    http://www.groovyvegetarian.com/2008/08/23/iron-rich-foods-for-vegetarians/

Top 10 Iron Rich Foods For Vegetarians

1.) Soybeans, cooked – 8.8 mg
    2.) Blackstrap Molasses
    3.) Lentils, cooked
    4.) Spinach, cooked
    5.) Quinoa, cooked
    6.) Tofu
    7.) Bagel, enriched
    8.) Tempeh
    9.) Lima Beans, cooked
    10.) Swiss Chard, cooked

cut and pasted from the site as it seemed v.slow to load!

In other lists I've seen, dark red/black pulses also feature prominently (black beans, black/red kidney beans, aduki)

Also, I was on the Quorn/Mycoprotein site;
    Mycoprotein - vitamins & minerals

and it seems that Quorn's main constituent, mycoprotein, actually has no iron but a decent amount of calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, etc.

so actually fits in with the Calcium protein meals!

Since blackstrap molasses is so high up on the list, I'm gonna give it a lash tomorrow on some pancakes - apparently the flavour works well with nutty flavours (peanut butter, almonds).

Molasses also seems to go well as with baked beans...and sticky ginger cake!

I did find an intriguing recipe for TVP sausages, using molasses - will post it if I can find it again.

***&& found it: added to Vegan and Vegetarian Recipes and Links *****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭cuaifeadh

Top 10 Iron Rich Foods For Vegetarians

1.) Soybeans, cooked – 8.8 mg
    2.) Blackstrap Molasses
    3.) Lentils, cooked
    4.) Spinach, cooked
    5.) Quinoa, cooked
    6.) Tofu
    7.) Bagel, enriched
    8.) Tempeh
    9.) Lima Beans, cooked
    10.) Swiss Chard, cooked

I love all of these things, and eat most pretty regularly. Haven't cooked with molasses in a while though. Must pick some up, it smells fantastic, reminds me of horse feed! Can never seem to get enough iron from my diet though, I always end up going back on to the ferrograd c.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

cuaifeadh wrote: »
    I love all of these things, and eat most pretty regularly. Haven't cooked with molasses in a while though. Must pick some up, it smells fantastic, reminds me of horse feed! Can never seem to get enough iron from my diet though, I always end up going back on to the ferrograd c.

You who I think you are? The sig says yes :p

Oh just got reminded of quinoas existence on thread, thanks, must pick some up again.

Oh just got reminded of quinoas existence on thread, thanks, must pick some up again.

Hmmm, a tip I spotted on 101cookbooks - apparently, if you use half-and-half of quinoa and the very similar millet, it's makes for a nicer consistency...or summat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

This thread has been super helpful, thanks :)

How do you guys who have a "number" figure for your iron levels work that out?

I don't know what my number is but when I forget to take iron I get so bad that my vision blurs, I slur my words and can barely stay awake :( then somewhere in my clouded wooly brain a voice says "ooooh yeah, arent I meant to take iron every day?) then a few days later im flying around full of beans, till I forget to take it again >.<

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dunno about numbers, I have this thing where I need like no iron so it doesn't affect me but I would say just try and find something you like and work those irony foods into what you normally eat. nomnom. Oh and OJ boosts iron consumption

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Molberts wrote: »

I don't know what my number is but when I forget to take iron I get so bad that my vision blurs, I slur my words and can barely stay awake :( then somewhere in my clouded wooly brain a voice says "ooooh yeah, arent I meant to take iron every day?) then a few days later im flying around full of beans, till I forget to take it again >.<

You really should go talk to your doctor about that, those symptoms have nothing to do with forgeting to take your iron for a few days, the body has Iron stores that last months so you're not going to show signs of deficiency until they've been depleted and that doesn;t happen quickly if you've been supplementing recently in particular.

• Advertisement

Molberts wrote: »

The number is your result from a blood test.
    They only really tell you, if you have a problem. Or if you ask.
    I get an annual bloodwork, in case anything is going wrong.

My friend has a problem with b12....and your symptons sound similar to hers.
    I'd get it checked out if I was you. I haven't heard of vison problems, and foggy minds as a result of Iron deficiency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

thanks for that moonbaby, i'll get it checked.

Krystyna just to clarify, it takes a few days to feel better after taking iron again but takes a couple of months after stopping taking it to start feeling shyte :)

edit - just googled b12 - I eat plenty of eggs so shoud be ok :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 goldfish6483

There are two forms of dietary iron: heme and nonheme. Heme iron is derived from hemoglobin, the protein in red blood cells that delivers oxygen to cells. Heme iron is found in animal foods that originally contained hemoglobin, such as red meats, fish, and poultry. Iron in plant foods such as lentils and beans is arranged in a chemical structure called nonheme iron URL="http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov/factsheets/iron.asp#en9"][COLOR=#0000ff]9[/COLOR][/URL. This is the form of iron added to iron-enriched and iron-fortified foods. Heme iron is absorbed better than nonheme iron, but most dietary iron is nonheme iron URL="http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov/factsheets/iron.asp#en8"][COLOR=#0000ff]8[/COLOR][/URL. A variety of heme and nonheme sources of iron are listed in Tables 1 and 2.

Table 1: Selected Food Sources of Heme Iron URL="http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov/factsheets/iron.asp#en10"][COLOR=#0000ff]10[/COLOR][/URL FoodMilligrams
    per serving% DV*Chicken liver, cooked, 3½ ounces12.870Oysters, breaded and fried, 6 pieces4.525Beef, chuck, lean only, braised, 3 ounces3.220Clams, breaded, fried, ¾ cup3.015Beef, tenderloin, roasted, 3 ounces 3.015Turkey, dark meat, roasted, 3½ ounces2.310Beef, eye of round, roasted, 3 ounces2.210Turkey, light meat, roasted, 3½ ounces1.68Chicken, leg, meat only, roasted, 3½ ounces1.36Tuna, fresh bluefin, cooked, dry heat, 3 ounces1.16Chicken, breast, roasted, 3 ounces1.16Halibut, cooked, dry heat, 3 ounces0.96Crab, blue crab, cooked, moist heat, 3 ounces0.84Pork, loin, broiled, 3 ounces0.84Tuna, white, canned in water, 3 ounces0.84Shrimp, mixed species, cooked, moist heat, 4 large0.74

Table 2: Selected Food Sources of Nonheme Iron URL="http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov/factsheets/iron.asp#en10"][COLOR=#0000ff]10[/COLOR][/URL FoodMilligrams
    per serving% DV*Ready-to-eat cereal, 100% iron fortified, ¾ cup 18.0100Oatmeal, instant, fortified, prepared with water, 1 cup10.060Soybeans, mature, boiled, 1 cup 8.850Lentils, boiled, 1 cup6.635Beans, kidney, mature, boiled, 1 cup5.225Beans, lima, large, mature, boiled, 1 cup4.525Beans, navy, mature, boiled, 1 cup4.525Ready-to-eat cereal, 25% iron fortified, ¾ cup4.525Beans, black, mature, boiled, 1 cup3.620Beans, pinto, mature, boiled, 1 cup 3.620Molasses, blackstrap, 1 tablespoon3.520Tofu, raw, firm, ½ cup3.420Spinach, boiled, drained, ½ cup3.220Spinach, canned, drained solids ½ cup2.510Black-eyed peas (cowpeas), boiled, 1 cup1.810Spinach, frozen, chopped, boiled ½ cup1.910Grits, white, enriched, quick, prepared with water, 1 cup1.58Raisins, seedless, packed, ½ cup1.58Whole wheat bread, 1 slice0.96White bread, enriched, 1 slice0.96

sorry for such a long post but i went thought the very same issues when i was pregnant with my daughter, you dont really have to eat meat to be honest lentils spinach beans etc all are great,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Am on the iron transfusion a week at this stage but some of the suggestions on this thread delayed it by a few weeks, thanks a million...will help when I am feeding my son too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 karen86

Seaweed is apparently loaded with iron and lots of other essential nutrients. Google it!

I find the roasted ones to be delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

These brownies would be pretty good for iron, what with the black beans and the cocoa. They're not quite like the brownies you might be used to but if you can move past the bean-iness they're pretty nice! Very fudgy.

I think the 15oz of black beans in the recipe is actually a regular 15oz can though. I measured out 15oz of cooked black beans which is nearly half a kilo and thought it was a bit much! Just used a cans worth and it was fine.

Oooh they look so nice! Never had a black bean before, must get on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Mine didn't turn out quite like that picture, but it was close enough so I can't complain :D

Black beans are great. I have about a kilo of them in my freezer now. Black beans in everything!

I live on these and kidney beans and butter beans:p

MixedBeans400g%20F.jpg

Addicted to beans and chickpeas

Advertisement