Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Sitting Room as Home Cinema

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭SachaJ

slave1 wrote: »
    Nice shots, have a Silverstone case too, they rock in black aluminum.
    I'm really unsure of the sonic impact of your centre speaker that high though, considering 60/70% of all sound comes from it, it seems out of synch so high up...

Yeah I agree that the centre is not in the optimum position above the screen but it was a compromise I had to make. With three kids under 5 I had to think of them in everything I did. I would have loved floor standing speakers but the Apex range can be bolted to the wall. In 5 years or so I can revisit the speakers locations but for now I'm very happy. The centre is angled down exactly at the seating position but I do have to admit that I do notice the sound from above occasionally.

Like I said I'm very happy with what I could achieve. The kids love it and for the first time my wife is getting into watching movies. I don't think the system would have had the same impact on us if it was in a dedicated room. The fact that everything is in the family room makes it much more social.

As much as I like the 2.35:1 screen if I was buying new I'd either get a 16:9 or borderless (including no top border). It's only now I realise how much is in 16:9 and it's a pain with no memory function or motorised zoom on the lens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I had the problem with radiator too, I just moved it to an adjoining wall. My Panny had motorised zoom and memory function but I never use them prefer to move at the unit itself for zoom and just don't see the need for memory when using a 16:9 screen

slave1 wrote: »
    I had the problem with radiator too, I just moved it to an adjoining wall. My Panny had motorised zoom and memory function but I never use them prefer to move at the unit itself for zoom and just don't see the need for memory when using a 16:9 screen

Yep, a 16:9 screen would be perfect for me. I don't mind the black bars top and bottom when watching a movie. Also it gets over the fact that not all movies are 2.35:1. I think Frozen is 2.24:1 and others are 2.40:1. All the different aspect ratios are a bit of a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

SachaJ wrote: »
    I thought I'd put together a post on my soon to be sitting room setup. The focus is mainly on the big screen hence this sub-forum. I'm hoping to have all setup for Christmas.

We moved into our current house back in March after spending a number of months renovating. In regards to AV, this is what I installed during the renovation:
    1. I wanted a central point for my AV kit so decided under the stairs in the hall was the best option. So all my wiring runs back there and I have a 19" rack.
    2. In the sitting room I ran 14 speaker cables: right (+bi-amp), left (+bi-amp), centre low, center high, height (left/right), wide (left/right), surrounds (left/right), rears (left/right) plus two coax for dual subs.
    3. To where I expected the TV to be located I ran 9 CAT6 so I could have 4 HDMI's fed from under the stairs plus the extra CAT6 for IR control.
    4. Again to where I expected the TV to be located I ran 2 pairs of satellite coax and 2 CAT6 for 1GB network
    5. To the back of the room where the projector was going I ran 4 CAT6 to give me 2 HDMI's.
    6. I also ran multiple CAT6 to other rooms for distributed AV.

My kit list is as follows:
    • The main TV is a Sony 46HX853
    • Looking at getting a Sony HW40es projector
    • Have a Draper/Euroscreen motorised ReAct 2.1 tab tensioned screen. Basically the screen out of a Sesame case.
    • Looking at getting an Oppo 103D Blu-ray player
    • Currently a HTPC running XBMC is the main source for movies being fed from a 14TB server
    • Currently have an Arcam AVR350 AV receiver but that only does 5.1 so looking to change that but maybe not in the short term. Candidates are the Denon 4520, Denon X5200 or maybe one of the new Marantz models. Also with Atmos just coming out I'm not sure whether to go that way or not.
    • Speakers is where I'm having the real dilemma as they are my weakness. I have Monitor Audio RX2's and an RX Center which I used in our previous house. I already have RX1's for our kitchen system and brand new RXFX in the attic. While I love the RX2's, I have 3 kids under 4.5 so stand mounts are not the best idea. I've also purchased a Monitor Audio Apex A40 and looking at either a couple more A40's, a couple of A10's or last night I got a lead on some Monitor Audio RX8's. The RX8's would suit me best for where my speaker cables are located in the room but then the Apex speakers can be bolted to the walls (but would mean channelling out the walls which we've just had plastered. The wife won't be happy). But the RX8's might be out of budget. I have no idea what to run for rears. I could get another set of RXFX but I fear they would be too close to the back/side wall (ie. in a corner). I'm stumped for subs also but I'll possibly get something from BK Electronics if/when funds allow. They seem to be the best bang for buck.

Here's a rough Google sketchup of the room. It's around 14 feet wide by 22 feet long.

15328175561_d001285b22_o.png

Speakers in the image are more or less where I currently have cables hanging out of the wall. Over the window is where the screen will come down and I'll build a pelmet around the top of the screen to hide it a bit.

To the right of the window is where all the TV connections are coming out of the wall but with the screen now coming down there I'll have to move it. The only place I can think of is above the fireplace but that again means channelling out the walls to get some CAT6 down there. I'm considering running some coving around the top of the walls so I can run additional speaker cables for the Atmos ceiling speakers.

So that's my plan, how much I'll actually get done I'm not sure.
    Hi OP
    That is a fantastic setup and I am trying to do thew same in our setup.-
    living room size 20' x 14 ' for a projector and Screen.
    I am going to order the CAt 6 double cable x 2 and run it to under a cloakroom beside the office and to all teh rooms. can you have a type of smart home technology this way? I am slabbing all teh external walls so this is the time to do it!
    any advice very welcome as I am a chippy not a sparks so will get someone in to do the connections etc as I can run the cables and do the donkey work.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

I got the home cinema bug 6 years ago and I have upgraded quite a bit over the years. The kit I have now will last for a while. I am not that interested in Atmos/DTS X. I use my projector for almost everything I watch now.

DSC_2775_zps3a55a85b.jpg

DSC_2771_zps5d3c109b.jpg

DSC_4599_zps7a7701af.jpg

DSC_4567_zpscfe11f0f.jpg

DSC_2769_zpsb7d767a2.jpg

JVC X35, Anthem MRX 510, Kef LS 50s, Kef R200C, Kef 400B, Oppo 105D

• Advertisement

That looks a great system. Any reason you went for the 105D over the 103D? I would have thought the Anthem's DAC's are fairly good. Maybe not as good as the Oppo?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

That looks a great system. Any reason you went for the 105D over the 103D? I would have thought the Anthem's DAC's are fairly good. Maybe not as good as the Oppo?

The reason I bought the 105 is I have an older receiver which has the analogue inputs but I have yet to take it down from the attic, I only bought the 105 a month ago. The Anthem DAC is excellent but I am looking forward to comparing it when I finally get to it.

gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Hi OP
    That is a fantastic setup and I am trying to do thew same in our setup.-
    living room size 20' x 14 ' for a projector and Screen.
    I am going to order the CAt 6 double cable x 2 and run it to under a cloakroom beside the office and to all teh rooms. can you have a type of smart home technology this way? I am slabbing all teh external walls so this is the time to do it!
    any advice very welcome as I am a chippy not a sparks so will get someone in to do the connections etc as I can run the cables and do the donkey work.
    Cheers

Not sure what you mean by smart home.... You probably could but I'm guessing you'd need to run CAT6 to some wall panels for control etc. Not something I'd know much about.

That said multi-room audio and video is easy enough once you've run multiple CAT6 and/or speaker cables to each room. I have my Yamaha 3040 feeding audio and video to multiple zones

Not sure what you mean by smart home.... You probably could but I'm guessing you'd need to run CAT6 to some wall panels for control etc. Not something I'd know much about.

That said multi-room audio and video is easy enough once you've run multiple CAT6 and/or speaker cables to each room. I have my Yamaha 3040 feeding audio and video to multiple zones

Hey
    What is an Yamaha 3040? All this home entertainment is new to me! That is what I meant by smart home ish! Audio and visual to rooms. Thanks

The Yamaha 3040 is an audio visual receiver (AVR). Basically it takes audio (CD player etc) and video (Blu-ray player, media player) as inputs and pumps audio out through it's onboard amplifiers to speakers.

In the 3040's case it also has multi-zone outputs so I can have speakers in a couple of different rooms and it also feeds audio to the stereo in my kitchen. It has a network connection so can play Internet radio, Spotify etc or music I have stored on a computer.

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx-a3040_g/?mode=model

Not cheap but there are cheaper AVR's that have the same functionality. Look at the Marantz 7009 that does 99% of the same things and half the price (The Maranz can also do Auro3D (a new audio layout that uses 10 or so speakers in a room) which the Yamaha can't).

• Advertisement

Getting into wiring now guys can anyone recommend what projector and screen to get ? Was looking at the optima hd projector that was on bargain alerts recently but that's shot up to 500 odd sterling. Any other suggestions welcome?

Getting into wiring now guys can anyone recommend what projector and screen to get ? Was looking at the optima hd projector that was on bargain alerts recently but that's shot up to 500 odd sterling. Any other suggestions welcome?

I'm afraid I don't know of any projectors for much less than the £500 mark. You could try the BenQ 1070 but even that is £469 in Richer Sounds
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-12120-w1070.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭take everything

Took a couple of photos of the setup today. Still very much a work in progress as can be seen with some exposed cables etc.

Here's a photo from Oblivion with all the curtains open in the room, just the lights off. Between the high lumen output of the projector and the ReAct screen, the picture looks great. Obviously better with curtains and blinds closed. Had the 1 year old helping me this morning.....
    16034181640_bc0c3ee487_c.jpg

Still undecided what do do with the two Apex 10's being used as front presence/height. Have the option to move them behind and use as a proper 7.1 or buy another couple to do Atmos 5.1.4. Had to place one of the Apex 40's above the screen as with small kids (and that radiator) it didn't make sense to mount below.

A shot of the projector and one of the RXFX.
    16034032948_a83a01814b_c.jpg

The mess under the stairs. AV Receiver, 1GB switch, XBMC PC, patch panel, Blu-ray player and will move the Sky box in there in the next day or two.
    16195646556_a38ab72b26_c.jpg

Jesus that is amazing.
    I want. I want.
    Makes my setup look crappy.
    You've got me thinking of spending needlessly again. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deano59

Hi guys - I am currently building a home cinema as well. SachaJ that setup looks class. I have wired for 5.1 in a 18 by 13.5 foot room. I have a Epson TW6100 - huge upgrade from a cheap DLP I had years ago.

I am thinking of getting Zensor Dali 1 5.1 or Zensor Dali 5 5.1 - anyone got any opinion on these?

I am going get a fixed 100" or 110" screen and pain the wall it is on brown and then paint the ceiling matt beige and the walls either side of the screen I hope will start off at brown and gradually become beige as it gets closer to the other end of the wall.

I will post pics when its finished.

I love this thread - it is brill to see Irish home cinema setups.

deano59 wrote: »
    Hi guys - I am currently building a home cinema as well. SachaJ that setup looks class. I have wired for 5.1 in a 18 by 13.5 foot room. I have a Epson TW6100 - huge upgrade from a cheap DLP I had years ago.

I am thinking of getting Zensor Dali 1 5.1 or Zensor Dali 5 5.1 - anyone got any opinion on these?

I am going get a fixed 100" or 110" screen and pain the wall it is on brown and then paint the ceiling matt beige and the walls either side of the screen I hope will start off at brown and gradually become beige as it gets closer to the other end of the wall.

I will post pics when its finished.

I love this thread - it is brill to see Irish home cinema setups.

Sounds like it'll be a great setup. I've never used any of the Dali speakers as I have a bit of a thing for Monitor Audio so I've just stuck with them. Is it going to be pure cinema or will there be some music also? Reason I ask is that for a pure home cinema experience a sub/sat system is recommended. That said, I'm kind of wondering am I missing out by not getting the Monitor Audio RX8's that I mentioned earlier in the thread. I don't listen to much music in the sitting room but the times that I do, I'm just expecting a little bit more. For now I'm going to put that down to XBMC/KODI so I might have a bash at using Foobar2000 or JRiver (tried installing last night but having issues with the movie scraper). Overall I'm investigating whether XBMC/KODI is good enough (quality wise) at playing media.

The colours definitely sound good. My walls are still white and it really something I need to address. Even if I can get one wall dark (behind the screen) it will be a start. I'd be really interested to see the colours you go with and how it works out with a screen on top.

Good luck!

No real updates on the hardware front but I'm spending some time seeing can I increase quality from KODI (XBMC). From reading around it seems that KODI is not one of the better video players quality wise although I have to say it's GUI and video wall are exceptional.

My first attempt is by using MPC-HC with madVR as a KODI external player which is working perfectly except for a massive flaw on the KODI side. In KODI you can set it to play the next video automatically which I need as the kids tend to watch a few episodes of their cartons at a time. When using an external player KODI does not recognise the "stop" command. Essentially what happens is when watching a movie with the external player and you press stop, MPC-HC recognises it, stops the movie, shuts itself down and KODI comes back into focus. KODI assumes the movie came to a natural finish (ie. played to the end) and so starts the next movie. So you are into a loop until the last movie in that view is reached. Not optimal but the video quality is great. I could get around this by disabling playing of videos automatically and using playlists for the kids cartoons. That might be my best solution.

My next attempt was to remove KODI from the equation altogether and use JRiver Media Center again with madVR (Red October HQ). On the latest version of JRiver it's not scraping the artwork for movies at all so that's off the cards. Video quality is great though.

On the hardware front I'm finding it difficult to access my 18u cabinet in it's current location which is under my stairs. It's a bit of a squeeze to get in there. In my wisdom I've gone and bought this http://www.adverts.ie/servers/server-cabinet/7079308 with the thinking of moving all my kit into the garage. It's going to be a pain trying to extend all my speaker, coax and CAT6 cables but other than building an extension to the back of the house where the stairs is, I have no choice.

I'm also on a bit of a quest to get 3D working from my KODI machine using an external player but having no luck. I bought an Nvidia GT730 card for the PC and have tried various players like TMT, Stereoscopic player, PowerDVD etc but nothing working yet. Essentially I want to play 3D MVC rips which are exact 1:1 quality movies ripped with MakeMKV. I had considered a Mede8er 600X3D but would really prefer not to have an additional device if I can avoid it..

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deano59

I use plex - I have the server on my main computer and then I have an old mac mini as a HTPC under the TV - if you have a xbox one or PS4 you can get plex pass for a fiver and stream from your computer to either console. I have never had any problems with Plex. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭positron

Subscribing to this thread. This is a basic idea of my current very basic setup.

HP Microserver running UnRaid and Plex acting as file & media server and phones auto backup to it as they come into wifi. An older version of LG TV with MediaPlex as well as PS3 can play content from the Plex server (PS3 does it over DLNA for now as the Plex client app is not free). PS3 is connected to a ceiling mounted Optoma 141x HD projector which throws an image approximately 3 meters wide on to the wall opposite the 2seater sofa. (Room is approximately 5m x 4m, slightly less perhaps)

OQaXu0l.png

I am delighted with the picture quality from this setup, even with projecting to a cream wall. Sound setup is not great though (old Yamaha amp without any HDMI ports, basic NSP110 speakers). Over all is a decent low cost setup, and I am hoping to learn a thing or two here as I plan to improve the sound setup in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭positron

Bad quality photo of how the above setting looks. Picture is actually very crisp and sharp, all the blocky stuff you see is from poor quality phone camera (nexus 5).

IMG_20150305_224644.jpg

And you can see from where I have mounted the projector, I can't get the picture to fit in the wall. I got used to it so it doesn't bother me, but I am imagine it could be irritating and a big no-no to others.

positron wrote: »
    Bad quality photo of how the above setting looks. Picture is actually very crisp and sharp, all the blocky stuff you see is from poor quality phone camera (nexus 5).

IMG_20150305_224644.jpg

And you can see from where I have mounted the projector, I can't get the picture to fit in the wall. I got used to it so it doesn't bother me, but I am imagine it could be irritating and a big no-no to others.

That looks pretty good to me. As with everything there is compromises. For instance my screen has defects so the borders are not square so I'm use to everything not being perfect. And watching 16:9 content the picture spills over top and bottom.

My next purchase is a Darbee Vision 5100CIE
    https://www.idealav.co.uk/product/darbee-dvp-5100cie-custom-installer-edition/

If you've never seen a Darbee in action they are spectacular. In my opinion they at least double the value of a projector or TV. Essentially it adds a level of sharpness to the picture that can only be had by buying a projector for twice the amount (in my opinion). I had the below model and in a moment of madness sold it:
    https://www.idealav.co.uk/product/darbee-darblet-dvp-5000/

Well worth it if you can spare the €275.....

It seems to enhance blacks a bit amongst other things
    Darbee_CompA-B.jpg

• Advertisement

Pure class! Trying to do de same with my set up! Have run 4 cat 6, speaker cable,double coaxial from TV/set top box/amp/mini PC to the projector position. Can I send 2 cat6 to another room 30mtrs away to a PC monitor as hoping to have a home office there! Can I control a PC with a mouse/ keyboard over hdmi/ cat6? Or am I only hoping? Cheers

Can I control a PC with a mouse/ keyboard over hdmi/ cat6? Or am I only hoping? Cheers

I'm sure there's possibly a way of doing it over RF or something like that. Apparently USB itself is only good for 5m or something like that so your best bet might be powered USB extenders over CAT6.

Hi Sacha
    thanks a mill for the thorough detailed layout as i am in the middle of doing the same as you did with a similar sized room so pretty much copying our wiring runs! we are currently renovating so at the 1st fix wiring stage! I am a chippy so limited elec experience but having a go over the last few days running multiple cat 6 and dual coaxial along with speaker cable,, fun fun fu.....k!
    I am basing the central point under the tele in the same room as the projector is going to be. so far i have run 4 cat 6, dual coaxial and a speaker cable to the ceiling center point were the projector is going to be located. I have also run 2 cat 6, dual coax and speaker cable to a spare/ visitor/ aupair bedroom. Also sent 2 cat6 and a speaker cable to a home office which i queried earlier though i am none the wiser! the bedrooms upstairs are all accessible from the eaves since its a dormer which is handy for running cables later!
    I have not purchased any hardware as yet other than teh 42 inch Samsung smarrt tv, and still trying to get my head around all the different types of sound systems, projectors and screens but mad keen to get the wiring end of things run first! Sorry for busting into your thread but keep coming back to it as a deadly resource! cheers and any advice really welcome!

Apologies, I answered the second part of your question but not the first.

Can I send 2 cat6 to another room 30mtrs away to a PC monitor as hoping to have a home office there! Can I control a PC with a mouse/ keyboard over hdmi/ cat6? Or am I only hoping?

Yes you could most likely send some CAT6's to that monitor but in this case I'd send more than 2. I'd go with 5 as an absolute minimum but maybe as many as 6 or more:

2 for your HDMI over CAT6 (I'd maybe run at least a further two as you may need them for 4K or higher resolutions in the future)
    1 for your USB (if it can be done)
    1 for high speed network should you need it as trying to stream Blu-ray quality movies over WiFis not reliable nor fast enough.
    1 for IR just in case you want a remote control in that office. I'm running a Harmony Ultimate and I find it brilliant. It's RF so I don't need the cable for IR but it's there anyway.

Put it this way. I'd much prefer have too many cables and look at them rather than not having enough cables and looking for them. CAT6 is very versatile so good to have extras. I have my 12v projector screen trigger running over telephone cable which is quite similar to network cable (CAT6). I'm now starting to install some CCTV around the outside of the house (picked up a few cameras from Aldi last week) and everything will be running over the CAT6 I laid during the house renovation. The cables were there originally for AV but found another use for them now.

Hi Sacha
    thanks a mill for the thorough detailed layout as i am in the middle of doing the same as you did with a similar sized room so pretty much copying our wiring runs! we are currently renovating so at the 1st fix wiring stage! I am a chippy so limited elec experience but having a go over the last few days running multiple cat 6 and dual coaxial along with speaker cable,, fun fun fu.....k!
    I am basing the central point under the tele in the same room as the projector is going to be. so far i have run 4 cat 6, dual coaxial and a speaker cable to the ceiling center point were the projector is going to be located. I have also run 2 cat 6, dual coax and speaker cable to a spare/ visitor/ aupair bedroom. Also sent 2 cat6 and a speaker cable to a home office which i queried earlier though i am none the wiser! the bedrooms upstairs are all accessible from the eaves since its a dormer which is handy for running cables later!
    I have not purchased any hardware as yet other than teh 42 inch Samsung smarrt tv, and still trying to get my head around all the different types of sound systems, projectors and screens but mad keen to get the wiring end of things run first! Sorry for busting into your thread but keep coming back to it as a deadly resource! cheers and any advice really welcome!

While you're at this stage I'd highly recommend you run cables for Atmos, Auro3D and DTS:X (if it ever gets announced) speaker configurations. As mentioned above I'd prefer have the cables there and not need them than have to run again at a later date.

I've recently switched on Atmos on my Yamaha 3040 and also Dolby Surround for the audio tracks that are not Atmos. I can hand on heart say the system sounds so much better. I am so impressed with Dolby Surround - even the kids cartoons (especially Disney JR) just sound brilliant. My speaker layout is nowhere near optimal for Atmos/DD Surround and I can hear the difference. It's pushed me over the edge so I'm now after another pair of Monitor Audio Apex 10's configure a proper 5.1.4 Atmos layout.

In relation to what kit to get, the best thing to come up with is your budget and work from there. We're a bit shagged now with the Euro/£ rate but there's always great discounts to be had if you ask the right dealers. If you want you could PM me your budget if you want to keep it private and I could suggest some kit. In my case budget never sticks - I always end up spending more than I want or should.

Cheers for all the info sacha!
    Budget-projector €600
    Screen600€
    Amp -€600
    Surround sound speakers €500
    Ceiling speakers x8- 400 euro
    Outside speakers x2- 120€

Aim-mission!
    Audio- amp to be connected to iphone app so that people can go to any room / outside house and play music/ radio in the room in which they are located through the phone/iPad and amp

Projector- 2x hdmi, play movies on projector from PC/set top box in living room and audio comes through surround sound / amp- does the projector have an independent media player on it that I can conectva hard drive to?

TV also play movies through set top box/ PC located beneath TV.Good
    Home office- monitor, key board and mouse located there with multiple cat 6 sent through from central point under TV. Plan to run USB powered through cat 6 to PC.

Good room- extra TV to be located in room with hdmi x 2, dual coax, and internet access

Spare room- TV point x 2 hdmi and dual coaxial
    Bedrooms upstairs x dual coax and 2x hdmi in each future proofing
    Currently running wires so all direction welcome! Cheers

Cheers for all the info sacha!
    Budget-projector €600
    Screen600€
    Amp -€600
    Surround sound speakers €500
    Ceiling speakers x8- 400 euro
    Outside speakers x2- 120€

Aim-mission!
    Audio- amp to be connected to iphone app so that people can go to any room / outside house and play music/ radio in the room in which they are located through the phone/iPad and amp

Projector- 2x hdmi, play movies on projector from PC/set top box in living room and audio comes through surround sound / amp- does the projector have an independent media player on it that I can conectva hard drive to?

Home office- monitor, key board and mouse located there with multiple cat 6 sent through from central point under TV. Plan to run USB powered through cat 6 to PC.

Good room- extra TV to be located in room with hdmi x 2, dual coax, and internet access

Spare room- TV point x 2 hdmi and dual coaxial
    Bedrooms upstairs x dual coax and 2x hdmi in each future proofing
    Currently running wires so all direction welcome! Cheers

Apologies for the delay in getting back....

That's going to be a tough one as you'll need a lot of zone outputs on your AVR (amp). I think I can do 3 or 4 zone outs on my AVR but it means losing speakers in the sitting room and/or installing an stereo amplifier in some rooms and using the stereo outs on the AVR. I'm guessing the more zones you need the more expensive the AVR gets.

Most projectors would have 2 HDMI's I think (mine does anyway) so you can run a PC (HTPC) to one HDMI and a Bluray or other to the other HDMI. But if you want your audio decoded you should connect all video sources to your AVR and then the HDMI output of the AVR to your projector. Off hand I don't know of a home cinema projector with an inbuilt media player.

Sounds ok but remember video sources should connect to your AVR if you want surround sound.

Sounds like you have it under control with all the co-ax and CAT6 to all your TV points. Better have them and not need them.

Your budget sounds ok. Do you plan to have a fixed frame projector screen mounted on the wall or an electric/manual one? I'd be inclined to try and allocate some of your screen budget towards the projector itself and you might need it with current exchange rates. Quite a lot of people project onto white walls which might do you until extra cash is there for a screen.

A quick update. Managed to grab another pair of Apex A10's on eBay last week and hoping to see them later this week. Hopefully by the weekend I'll be testing Atmos 5.1.4 to an extent.

Again it won't be optimal due to:
    1. My front Atmos speakers are actualy above my L/R speakers where they should be much closer to the sofa. When I'm brave enough I might hang the front pair of A10's from the ceiling in front of the sofa.
    2. The centre speaker is still above the screen. It does sound very good currently but I'm thinking the whole Atmos experience would benefit from it being lower.
    3. I'm running RXFX as sides. As the RXFX have side tweeters they are sending sound into the areas where the Atmos speakers should be filling. I'm concerned that the RXFX might drown out the Atmos speakers. To that end, I'm seriously considering changing the RXFX to directional speakers which would mean yet another pair of A10's or if I win the lottery, a pair of A40's.

And of course I'd love to try a second subwoofer, a matching XXLS400, but that's way down the road.

rednik wrote: »
    The reason I bought the 105 is I have an older receiver which has the analogue inputs but I have yet to take it down from the attic, I only bought the 105 a month ago. The Anthem DAC is excellent but I am looking forward to comparing it when I finally get to it.

How are you getting on with the Anthem over the 105D?

I was very close to getting a 103D recently but it didn't really make sense. I use KODI 99% of the time and it's a bit of a waste forking out for a high end desc spinner. The Darbee I wanted so have the new 5100 on order.

• Advertisement

If anyone is interested I'm selling my screen to change back to a 16:9 aspect ratio from the 2.35:1

http://www.adverts.ie/projector/130-inch-draper-projector-screen-with-react-2-1-material/8076479

Advertisement