Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

train accelleration

Options
  • 08-04-2014 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, not sure if this is the right forum or if it belongs in education, but I guess you guys know the subject better than most. I'm wondering can any of you give me a hint as to what the Mark4's max acceleration/deceleration rate is and where I could find a reliable source for this information? It's for a college project.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Real how long is a piece of string stuff here. The accelerative and deceleration rates depend on many variables such as the true payload on the day, track incline, the electrical output to the traction motors, braking performance and air pressure of same, whether you are asking about acceleration from specific speeds to specific speeds or if it's to and from zero, track curvature, track grip on a given day, the condition of the engine and the fuel respectively. Even minor things such as altitude make a slight difference to the performance. Similarly, emergency brakes will render the train to a stop quicker than a service brake but it may affect the train mechanically

The simplest thing that you could work with is that the engines and the Mark 4's have an in service speed limit of 100MPH. From here, take the tare weights of the train set, add it to the loco weight and apply some good old applied maths equations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

What's their 0-60 on the flat with a half tank of gas and just a driver, nothing else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

Are you looking for theoretical rates to be used by IE and/or stated by the manufacturer or the real world rates which Losty is talking about?

I don't know the information by the way, but it is worth making the distinction. I would imagine IE would have had to have some kind of figure in mind when calculating route timings or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Theoretical values assuming a typical cork intercity train set, flat terrain and all seats filled

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭cgcsb

According to ie's 2030 vision, on the section about train speed profiles, their graphs seem to suggest they can increase or decrease their speed by as much as 50 km/h per km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

cgcsb wrote: »
    According to ie's 2030 vision, on the section about train speed profiles, their graphs seem to suggest they can increase or decrease their speed by as much as 50 km/h per km.

That is based on raising speed limits on slower sections of the line, cutting down on stops and time spent at stations and provision of faster motive power.

Advertisement