Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My Big Gay Embryo

Options
  • 11-12-2012 1:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭

Which in Ireland, would cause civil disobedience, moral outrage, the breakdown of society and worse?

Abortion or gay marriage?

Do you think this would divide the island even more so than the NI/6 counties issues?

Would there be confrontations and clashed or would all the controversy evaporate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Neither. We're slow getting there but we are crawling. We'll hit that finishing line sometime.
    Not so long ago the same questions would have been asked for divorce and Catholic-Protestant marriages.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Well, abortion will gradually increase so that it's legal to kill newborn babies if you don't like them. Then you'll be able to kill your children if they misbehave. And eventually you'll simply be shooting people on your way to work like it's some sort of zombie apocalypse but with living people instead of zombies.

And gay marriage will eventually lead to three people getting married, then whole families getting married, people marrying pets and trees. Eventually you'll find yourself married to everyone in Ireland and having to buy them all Christmas presents.

It's a bleak future either way...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Penn wrote: »
    Well, abortion will gradually increase so that it's legal to kill newborn babies if you don't like them. Then you'll be able to kill your children if they misbehave. And eventually you'll simply be shooting people on your way to work like it's some sort of zombie apocalypse but with living people instead of zombies.

And gay marriage will eventually lead to three people getting married, then whole families getting married, people marrying pets and trees. Eventually you'll find yourself married to everyone in Ireland and having to buy them all Christmas presents.

That sounds awesome. At last, I can shed my liberal faux concern, tool up and go medieval on society :D

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

It's been driven into people for generations that abortion is wrong, sinful and kills a little innocent baby. Gay marriage was not discussed as much in the past, and doesn't really effect a third party so people are not so entrenched in opposition to it.

So I think there would be more support for gay marriage amongst the average Joe and Josephines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

old hippy wrote: »
    Abortion or gay marriage?
    Well abortion is wrong and kills an innocent baby, while gay marriage is a legal contract between two consenting adults.

Ireland is very liberal about what consenting adults get up to, gay marriage is no big deal to anyone (with a few easily ignored exceptions). This will go through easily.

On the abortion issue, our collective moral compass shows no signs of abandoning independent thought and following the herd. Opinions differ violently, as evidenced by the fact that the referendum has still not been accounted for in law. This will be a total shìtstorm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Penn wrote: »

It's the biblical way!

Deuteronomy 21:18-21

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Aenaes wrote: »
    Neither. We're slow getting there but we are crawling. We'll hit that finishing line sometime.
    Not so long ago the same questions would have been asked for divorce and Catholic-Protestant marriages.

Neither would other me. Why can't a consenting man and man or woman and woman do what they want together in the privacy of their own home?
    However, most people won't be in favour of it after decades of this country being brain washed by the Roman Catholic Cult Church

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Attabear

kylith wrote: »
    It's the biblical way!

Oh bible! You have something to say about everything, don't you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Attabear wrote: »
    Oh bible! You have something to say about everything, don't you?

The Bible also says you're not supposed to go potty on the Sabbath ... oh wait, maybe that was the crazy bearded guy with the sandwich board :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

kylith wrote: »
    It's the biblical way!

Dammit! As soon as I read Penn's reply I had a nice "Finally they've stopped discriminating against us Christians" response. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Dammit! As soon as I read Penn's reply I had a nice "Finally they've stopped discriminating against us Christians" response. :(

Don't blame me, it's in your wacky holy book.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Neither would other me. Why can't a consenting man and man or woman and woman do what they want together in the privacy of their own home?
    However, most people won't be in favour of it after decades of this country being brain washed by the Roman Catholic Cult Church

Pretty much every recent opinion poll has shown that the majority of Irish people favour gay marriage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

old hippy wrote: »
    That sounds awesome. At last, I can shed my liberal faux concern, tool up and go medieval on society :D

I have already started collecting the weapons. I have asked Santie for a bit of flint for my flintlock pistol and a mould for the DIY bullets then me, my cutlass and my bow and arrows will be all set...

I'm a very hands on/heads off kinda historian.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

Neither.

No.

Both would have protest marches and maybe minor scuffles. Can't see full scale riots happening. A few scumbags might cause trouble at gay marriage, but mostly for the sake of causing trouble. The pro-lifers rely too much on the support of the old. The pro-choicers have the capability, but never struck me as being prone to violence. Weeks around the laws being introduced would be interesting, but longer term it would dissipate.

If you want to see civil disobediance etc. I'd say the only real way to do it would be to knock a fair lump off the dole.

Advertisement