Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Which Projector?

• 27-08-2013 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I'm finally going to bite the bullet and buy a projector for my home theatre. I've been using a wall mounted Pioneer screen for the past 8 years but since watching a few movies at a friends house on a 12 foot projected screen, I can't seem to enjoy them as much on my own setup!

I'm aiming to spend a maximum of €1500 on a 1080p, high contrast projector. Not fussed about 3D, I'm more interested in high contrast, crystal clear high resolution images without ghosting or rainbow affects.

Has anyone got any insight into what I should buy? Or have you recently bought one in this price range and have feedback?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Stu

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 skeating

how did you go with this ? am in the same boat - trying to plan it out, would love to hear how it went for you

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭MHI

Should check out the new Epson EHTW5200 its a 2d and 3d projector but most projectors come with 3d now anyways, look at it as an extra that you may/may not use in the future, Also look at the Epson 3200 (2D only) with Lens Shift, if your worried about the RBE stay away from DLP projectors and stick with LCD.

Epson Specs:

Gaming graphics
    The EH-TW5200 delivers a 15,000:1 contrast ratio and is enhanced by Epson’s 3LCD technology for high definition 2D and 3D images on a big screen. You no longer have to sit in the dark to see what you're doing during the day, thanks to an equally high White and Colour Light Output of 2,000 lumens.

Big screen entertainment
    The screen size ranges from 30 inches up to 300 inches, and can be adjusted to project a straight image effortlessly with keystone correction. This means you don't need large open areas or to clear a lot of space to enjoy.

No lag time
    Switching to 'fast mode' means that fast-paced football games or online multiplayer video games are projected smoothly and accurately. With no lag time, the action is projected without delay – important for tournaments or matches that need split-second reaction times.

MHL support
    The EH-TW5200 offers a wide selection of connectivity options, including one HDMI - MHL port. This means that not only can you play Full HD content, but also videos, music and photos from your smartphone and tablet.

3D home cinema
    You can easily switch to 3D content that is noticeably brighter than many Full HD 3D home cinema projectors. Paired with lightweight, rechargeable Radio Frequency (RF) active shutter 3D glasses1 (sold separately) you can easily enjoy your content without interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Stuart085

I thought I'd update this. I purchased a BenQ W1080st projector.

I have to say, it is truly amazing. It's a 1080p projector and I have it creating a 250inch image and the detail in the resolution and colours plus the great contrast is just glorious. My friend has a Sony Bravia projector and this BenQ runs rings around it.

I've only had it a few weeks but I've clocked 160 hours so far.

If you're looking for an excellent projector at an awesome price, I highly recommend this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,852 ✭✭✭dodzy

Stuart085 wrote: »

I have to say, it is truly amazing. It's a 1080p projector and I have it creating a 250inch image and the detail in the resolution and colours plus the great contrast is just glorious. My friend has a Sony Bravia projector and this BenQ runs rings around it.

If you're looking for an excellent projector at an awesome price, I highly recommend this one.
    That awesome price you referred to is probably the best part of €1000, no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Stuart085

dodzy wrote: »
    That awesome price you referred to is probably the best part of €1000, no ?

Yes, it was 850 sterling, so around a thousand euro, which is a very good price for a projector of this quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 TheRoller

if someone is looking for a bargain i have a Epson EH-TW5200 on donedeal for €800, i only got it last week but doesn't fit my room (i measured the throw distance incorrectly) :(

2D and 3D is pretty impressive i must say :)

http://www.donedeal.ie/tv-for-sale/new-epson-eh-tw5200-hd-3d-projector/6009295

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭johnj1969

Surely you don't mean any of the sony sxrd bravia projectors, the HW10, HW15 etc.BenQ is a light cannon...

Also what kind of room are you watching 250"s in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

My Benq w1080st just arrived today and have to say I'm impressed so far (it's my first projector). I'm just projecting onto the living room wall (dark yellowy colour) until I get my (DIY) screen ready, but even so it looks great. I'm getting a 9.5' wide image with the projector placed ~8' from the wall.

Everything was working straight out of the box. I haven't touched any of the settings yet. The fan is a bit noisy, but might be able to fix this with some setting changes (it's not that noticeable when watching a film).

Got it from Amazon.it for €865 (sent UPS, delivery took 6 days). Also got a set of 4 SainSonic 3D glasses on Amazon.co.uk for ~€90. Glasses worked out of the box. No setup. They just worked!

Overall, very pleased!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

I'm seriously thinking of getting a projector. I'm a serious film collector, have 1000s of DVDs and 100s of blu-rays. Tell me, just how good is the PQ? Is it comparable to the PQ I am getting from my 46" Panasonic Plasma 1080p? The idea of a 9.5' wide screen gives me goosebumps...

shazzerman wrote: »
    I'm seriously thinking of getting a projector. I'm a serious film collector, have 1000s of DVDs and 100s of blu-rays. Tell me, just how good is the PQ? Is it comparable to the PQ I am getting from my 46" Panasonic Plasma 1080p? The idea of a 9.5' wide screen gives me goosebumps...
    No matter how good a projectors pic is these days, no matter how many lumens it wont reach the quality heights of a 46" plasma or decent LCD LED-lit 1080p tv. Also a 9.5 ft 16:9 is a fairly big screen diagonally.
    They can be compared to a good TV at first, but after owning quite a few of them i have never had one that came up to the comparable TV of that time. Detail,contrast, brightness are all better on a decent 1080p TV.

That said there is massive improvement in home projectors PQ in the last decade. You won't get the cinematic effect from a 46-60" TV that you get from a 92" + projector screen.

Even better if you are looking at a proper cinema type effect would be to get a 2.35:1 aspect ratio screen, but only if you want to spend a fair bit & want a fairly dedicated set-up & also watch a lot of Bluray/DVD or watch videos using VLC on a PC.
    The user interface on VLC is great as you can select any aspect ratio that you want,so long as you have the correct ratio screen. But if your starting from scratch maybe buy a cheap HD projector & screen & see how you go from there. Even a 10 yr old say Sanyo 720p Z series projector shows a very decent big screen image.

There are projectors that do all your picture settings automatically for 2.35:1 but indeed 2.35:1 movies (or 2.40:1) whether manual or auto zoom is another story.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Twistedlace

That can be worked around I install projectors and it's not a problem if you know how to spud and shalk the screen and projector if your interested that is ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Twistedlace

Keep away from projectors for home viewing. Reasons are as follows
    No 1 the image is only as good as the source your sending it
    No 2 the lens will always go a slight shade of yellow if there's smoking allowed and this can't be cleaned
    No 3 you have to factor in the cost of new filters and new lamp
    No 4 take it from some who has installed over 200 projectors over the years leave it alone. Just go and buy an 80 inch tv or a 65 inch just as good
    No 5 you could just tell me to bugger off. If your stuck for any info on your cinema room let me know my advice is free my experience is long and I have walked the walk for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

I have a 8' wide DIY screen up now and the PQ is still excellent. It's probably not as good as a plasma (my own TV is a 5 year old 40" Samsung LCD), but I haven't found anything to complain about after watching various Blu-rays on it for a few hours yesterday (don't bother with DVDs, they look terrible! at this size). I'm sure that if I have a plasma sitting next to the screen I could find all sorts of problems in the picture, but that's never going to be the case.

As John said, I don't think you'd get this size setup for less than €1,000 with anything other than a projector.

The only drawbacks I have so far are my screen, it's a DIY job made from blackout cloth and is covered in creases, and the rainbow effect, which I do see quite a lot in certain scenes

Keep away from projectors for home viewing.

You lost me there. Surely, for the dedicated film fan, a projector is the only way to go for home viewing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

You lost me there. Surely, for the dedicated film fan, a projector is the only way to go for home viewing?

You seem to have ignored the rest of his post.

Oh, sorry. I wasn't really ignoring the rest -
    Nos. 1 - 3 are not really applicable to my situation, so will not be a problem.
    N0s. 4 - 5 seem purely subjective (albeit, based on experience). I am of the mind that an 80" TV could NEVER emulate the cinema-like experience the way a projector can. It seems, from the other posts, that the PQ, while not hitting the heights of a good-sized plasma (which I have), it will still be sufficient to warm the cockles of my heart.

Keep away from projectors for home viewing. Reasons are as follows
    No 1 the image is only as good as the source your sending it
    No 2 the lens will always go a slight shade of yellow if there's smoking allowed and this can't be cleaned
    No 3 you have to factor in the cost of new filters and new lamp
    No 4 take it from some who has installed over 200 projectors over the years leave it alone. Just go and buy an 80 inch tv or a 65 inch just as good
    No 5 you could just tell me to bugger off. If your stuck for any info on your cinema room let me know my advice is free my experience is long and I have walked the walk for a long time
    The image from a decent Blu-ray movie or good HD movie is very, very good on a PJ.

If anyone owns a decent projector & allows the lens becomes yellow, maybe they had better take up a different hobby.

The cost is minuscule in comparison to what you can achieve at home these days. Depreciation is the biggest cost to factor in running a PJ.

An 80" tv is nowhere near the experience of using a dedicated CinemaScope screen.

This is based on my experience using a projector vs. TV (up to 55"s) & my own opinion. Also a TV under 50"s doesn't do as much justice to a good sound set-up, av receiver, power amp, player, speakers etc., as a projector can. :)

Oh, sorry. I wasn't really ignoring the rest -
    Nos. 1 - 3 are not really applicable to my situation, so will not be a problem.
    N0s. 4 - 5 seem purely subjective (albeit, based on experience). I am of the mind that an 80" TV could NEVER emulate the cinema-like experience the way a projector can. It seems, from the other posts, that the PQ, while not hitting the heights of a good-sized plasma (which I have), it will still be sufficient to warm the cockles of my heart.
    You sound like the type of chap that would enjoy a projector... Go for it, its a totally better experience from a big-screen TV. Just be aware of the hurdles you will come across while getting it all together, size/shape of room, cables, using a living room if needed etc...Im sure your wide to it anyways...

Just thought I'd give an update on this.
    One year in, 1700 hours of film viewing clocked up on my Optoma HD131 Xe (giving me a 120" image). A projector is absolutely the way to go for the hardened cinephile.

Good for you pal. Sure I even got a new 55inch Sony w829 & I still use the PJ for weekend movie viewing, cant beat it. Watching Blu-Ray 2.35:1 movies without black bars is great fun.
    Did you sample the 3D on it? Im not crazy about it but Jurassic park & Gravity are fairly good on my TV at least... Not much storyline to follow so in that sense I can watch it occasionally. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,689 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Is it ok to use a wall as the screen? I've heard there's some kind of paint that's just the right colour for this?

Advertisement