Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Firmware upgrade for 24p playback on Panasonic TX-P46G10L Plasma

• 12-04-2014 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

I have a Panasonic TX-P46G10L Plasma. It is almost 5 years old. According to all the blurb online and my research when I bought it, the TV is supposed to support smooth playback when a source of 24p ( or 24hz or 24 frames per second) is fed to the TV. I can tell by watching it that this is not working. I though initially this was an issue with my source and I put up with the issue, but I have just recently ruled that out - the problem is the TV.

I would think that maybe there is a firmware upgrade or something available for this. But if so, I can't find it online anywhere. Panasonic are worse than useless and will only say "bring it to a service center". The local authorized service centre wont answer me (I suspect that don't understand the question).

Is anyone aware of this issue? I know it's a "old" telly and a rather specific issue, but I've gotten so great answers to some fairly obscure questions here before! Also, I do have a retailer extended warranty which expires in May. I intend to approach them about it, but if the Panasonic service centre can't understand me, the retailer wont have a hope unless I have a something solid to show them - thus my so-far fruitless attempt to find the information online for this specific TV.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭AndersKP

Hi,

The G10 does 24p at 48hz, which can feel quite laggy. The V10 that came out in the same year does 24p at 96hz, which will feel smoother.

It sounds strange but you are never watching 24p@24hz on any device. This is because 24images per second is too slow to trick your eye into seeing movement.

Has the tele got a 'search for updates' section in the setup menu? Or is the TV showing 24p at all when you play compatible blu-ray content?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

AndersKP wrote: »
    Hi,

The G10 does 24p at 48hz, which can feel quite laggy. The V10 that came out in the same year does 24p at 96hz, which will feel smoother.

It sounds strange but you are never watching 24p@24hz on any device. This is because 24images per second is too slow to trick your eye into seeing movement.

Has the tele got a 'search for updates' section in the setup menu? Or is the TV showing 24p at all when you play compatible blu-ray content?

Thanks for the reply and my apologies for not responding.

Yes, you are correct, I would expect the TV to handle 24hz by displayingat least 48fps.

I'm afraid there is no update function anywhere on the TV. It's came out just before this feature was introduced. In any case, I can't check as the TV is now with the repairs crowd, who are discussing the problem with Panasonic Ireland. I do not have high hopes, but I'll let you know.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SirPat

Hello
    Hope you dont mind, have as side question if either of you are monitoring..
    in regards TX-P46G10L
    were o were is the usb and rj45 ports?
    Trying to get it online to update and use other functions but cant seem to find it anywhere and cant find any details in the doc.. system it has a MAC address for wired so must be part of the config..
    Searched all over the TV and cant seem to find it..

Regards
    Pat

Advertisement