Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*******Motors Chat - Round 7*******

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Today I learned about turbo failure and the effects it has on said veeehickle from the non catastrophic kind of ones, to the absolutely holy sh1t my engine!! kind of ones :o

Regular oil changes and maintenance lads does wonders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

A recent drive of a 1 series 2 hours ago surprised me how fantastic it is to drive.... I especially like the bolsters ability to move in and out, I like to think you somehow could use that to enhance a lady's bust :D

Stop start nearly caused me to jump out of the window for fear of breaking something expensive, German electrics and all that. Dipping and putting on the full beams also left me bewildered initially, I was pulling the stalk furiously like I'd be pulling me dic...ed peaches out of my face after a disagreement with some ladies at a cocktail bar

Now, for my sins, I must sit in, couped up, wishing I was out on the razz rather than being a Saturday night saddo. Like I do every Saturday. Help me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Dartz

Sobanek wrote: »
    Wow, such level, much adrenaline :pac:

I went down to 4km range on my 320Ci :pac: never again

Nothing like driving on 0km for a few dozen kilometres to pucker the sphincter. Coming up out of Cork last year I decided to gamble on fuel range and came up very, very short after diesel 'economy' proved to be anything but at 130kph.

In other news, caught the local scrotes trying the doorhandles on the cars again. Got into one of the neighbours and ransacked the thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Bpmull wrote: »
    No I just couldn't do that I'd be a nervous wreck :pac: I just always fill it and keep it fairly full just habit I suppose really. You'd get into some peoples cars relations and they never have a drain of fuel in them some id say never see over 1/4 tank.

I have some sort of OCD... I cannot have my tank go below half. Half is the bare minimum I can have in my car. If I see going near half - off to petrol station!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

I usually let it go right down to the point where the needle doesnt move when the car is started up. Then drive a bit further and then fill up.

I mean the normal range of most of my cars is between 200-350 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I used to to fill up when I got down to a quarter tank, with the Chaser thats a much harder thing to do so I now fill Just before the low fuel light comes on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I get paranoid if it's less than a quarter tank full :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I don't think I've ever even seen the low light come on, in the e46, I generally fill once it hits the half way point, which is once every 2 weeks or so. This is the closest I've ever gotten, in a Ford B-Max 1.0, 3 cylinder turbo:

322891.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

I seldom let mine go down past a quarter tank, just out of principal, and the fact that I have a fuel card for work :pac:

I'll never forget my unemployment days, trying to ration a tenners worth of fuel over a weekend until I got paid, and repeat...

Soooo this happened today :)

• Advertisement

Yes! Well done, man!

Yes! Well done, man!

Just need to bleed the brakes and slave cylinder now and its a goer :D

Fully expect to see this at least at the next meet!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Nice work tp! :)

Fully expect to see this at least at the next meet!

I need to insure it first! which i can't really afford to :(
    Big Nasty wrote: »
    Nice work tp! :)

Thanks dude :) No wires on fire either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Thanks dude :) No wires on fire either :D

Yet ;)

Yet ;)

Well it's been running for about 2 hours now and its still there ;) :P

I need to insure it first! which i can't really afford to :(
    Grand well, then I'll have to drop out to see it I suppose!
    Will be collecting big bird next saturday, if you're around that day I could drop by with big bird for a few mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Well it's been running for about 2 hours now and its still there ;) :P

Ah no I have faith in you! Fair play on getting it going again. :)

Grand well, then I'll have to drop out to see it I suppose!
    Will be collecting big bird next saturday, if you're around that day I could drop by with big bird for a few mins?

If I'm not working I will be, I'll know on friday :)
    Ah no I have faith in you! Fair play on getting it going again. :)

Thank ya :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Dartz

Impressed that it started first time...

Might've been worth waiting for the oil to get around though before revving it.... that sounded a fair bit clattery for a while

Dartz wrote: »

Might've been worth waiting for the oil to get around though before revving it.... that sounded a fair bit clattery for a while

I had a feeling it would ;)

Yeah it might have, it's all good now though, I let it idle for about an hour, put in the power steering fluid, let that do its thing, all that's left is the brakes and clutch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Brakes are for quitters:D
    Dartz wrote: »

He didn't exactly rev the nuts off it, you have to give anything a couple of blips to make sure it's working properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

The little Merc is up on DoneDeal now. Just had one call with my potato-quality pictures, so I've taken some shiney ones with my slr. Here goes nothin'! :)

pred racer wrote: »
    Brakes are for quitters:D

Well sir consider me the biggest quitter of them all! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Congrats man that is brilliant to see her starting so well!

Pickles was right to give her a few revs :)
    The thing I'd be worried about is letting it idle for an hour, talking about glazing over the cylinders :eek:

YbFocus wrote: »
    Congrats man that is brilliant to see her starting so well!

Pickles was right to give her a few revs :)
    The thing I'd be worried about is letting it idle for an hour, talking about glazing over the cylinders :eek:

Thank you :D I was well impressed haha
    Well it was revved here and there too! wasn't completely idle, I couldn't help it :pac:

Totally different machine to the 9-5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Sounded a bit like a tractor. How's the turbo?

Dord wrote: »
    Sounded a bit like a tractor. How's the turbo?

Turbo was fine when i had the pipes off, no play at all in it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Thank you :D I was well impressed haha
    Well it was revved here and there too! wasn't completely idle, I couldn't help it :pac:

Totally different machine to the 9-5

You're better off, long stints of idling is very bad!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement