Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Canada: Going it alone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭shannon guy

For anyone in Saskaatoon, we have a page on facebook.

Hoping to build it up with all social events, gigs, places to see and go, discounts and bargains etc.....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SaskatoonSocialClub/

I am trying to keep it to people in Saskatoon as all posts will be about saskatoon only.

No jobs or selling on the page.

Join us if you want, Might be a nice way to meet people, organise nights out, sports, so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tony53

Hi Lads I'm heading over in the next couple of weeks to work for Tarpon,
    Has anyone got any info on Drayton Valley.
    Ill be based out of Calgary, that's my hub. Has Drayton Valley oil too,as I was told i'd be working within the oil industry
    Cant find out much about it on utube or wiki.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bucket and spade

drayton valley is beside edmonton, your beside civilisation anyway.
    my employer is looking for lmo so i need that to send with my other stuff to get a work permit.at what stage do you need to get your electrical qualifications assessed? i have to fill out the alberta qualification certificate form, just wondering can i do that now or when?

Yes.You can do that now . That's the AIT you are talking about I take it.......... to sit the exams later on
    Cost € 450.00 / some employers reimburse this later
    A lot of paper work, dates ,9000 hrs, and craft cert,referances to back up our own qualifications
    Any more info. on Drayton Valley other than civilisation ?

sorry i know nothing about it. calgary, edmonton, ft mc, i might have been some use to ya. yeah its the AIT. i was told the head office was in edmonton, dont know if you can take it in calgary, maybe you can. Yeah i reckon ill get the paperwork together now and send it off seeing as you can do it any time. good to have it done. where are u from?

• Advertisement

Dublin

sweet. cavan. how long is the duration of an lmo, i read 4 years is that true.

Anyone got any websites where i can practice for the Electrical exam that foreign workers have to do to get their red seal in Alberta?
    i prefer ones with the proper answers included. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

sweet. cavan. how long is the duration of an lmo, i read 4 years is that true.

Generally a TWP issued for an LMO is valid for 12 or maybe 24 months at the most but mostly 12 months.You will have other option available to you though
    Have a read of these:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/index.asp

and

http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/immigrating/ainp.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hickeydermot

I'm going it alone myself so figured I'd call upon the trusty expats on this board.

I leave Monday.

Not really applied for much work because of the international restrictions on the job sites such as kijji etc.

Moving to SE of Calgary Monday.

Cash wise I've enough to last a month or two so would really appreciate a line on any jobs they might know of.

Factory/Service/Telecommunications.

I've experience in a variety of sectors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 can sean

the head office for the alberta apprenticeships board is in edmunton but once they have passed your qualifications on to them and you are accepted you can sit your exam in any city

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dealdish

Anyone here living near Estevan.We came over through a program called SINP so if anyone needs help just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

@dealdish
    We will be living 500 KMs north of you in a town called Melfort, have just submitted the SINP application the start of this week.
    How long did it take for you if you don't mind me asking

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gar r

Hi just wondering has anyone any info. I am moving to Alberta in the next few weeks. I have 2 kids but moving over first on my own for a few months. I have a job offer from Studon electrical working up in fort mac. Just really wanted to know has anyone any info on where would be a good place to live for when my family arrive. Was thinkin about Edmonton or maybe Red Deer just wonderin about schools and standard of living etc. Any pointers would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sunnymilo

gar r wrote: »
    Hi just wondering has anyone any info. I am moving to Alberta in the next few weeks. I have 2 kids but moving over first on my own for a few months. I have a job offer from Studon electrical working up in fort mac. Just really wanted to know has anyone any info on where would be a good place to live for when my family arrive. Was thinkin about Edmonton or maybe Red Deer just wonderin about schools and standard of living etc. Any pointers would be great
    rented in fernie 3yrs ago with my husband and kids.its a very small town and very tradional.fort mac is a journey away tho but i know people who lived in edmonton and said its nice place to raise kids.we did find it expensive food shopping and for some reason rent cost more in winter than summer.schools use sking etc as part of their activities.people are friendly. my husband is an electrician too and were hoping to go back.hes waiting to hear back from pivot industries about interviews .there based in new foundland ! were also going to expo 7th oct .heard lots of companies coming over.

Cheers for that i must check out that place sounds good. Also wondered would you know about the school terms and what age they start. Do they have like a junior and senior infants. My eldest son is nearly 5 he started junior infants this september so wonderin about next september when he will be over there what class would he go into.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

The terms here are pretty similar to Ireland. You start kindergarden here the Sept after you turn 5 so your son would go to kindergarden next year as he would only be in preschool still if you lived here.

We're in Edmonton, the rent is alot less than we paid in dublin, the shopping can seem more expensive but its generally not.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

dealdish wrote: »
    Anyone here living near Estevan.We came over through a program called SINP so if anyone needs help just ask.

I'm not sure if this comment is regarding yourself Dealdish or if you quoted from someone else.
    Anyway, we're in the process of doing the SINP application & are a bit confused.... not sure if we're missing something in the overall "list of things we need to do".

Any advice would be much appreciated! I have more specific questions too, if you've time to answer, or anyone else for that matter.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 great185

can sean wrote: »
    im only working in alberta for 6wks now.. d first wk is a bit daunting cos d cable sizes r different d names for simple tings r all different so at d start u feel like uv just started d trade but after a couple of days u soon switch on to it.. i worked wit a company dat did industrial work in ireland.. its all d same work dat u wud hav done wit kirbys... ders very little wiring in d work i do its mostly mounting mccs, transformers lighting and heat trace.. its all pretty handy to b honest, its a totally different atmosphere dan in ireland like for example in ireland wit a big industrial company if a projects manager or superintendent comes on site d whole site trys to avoid dem and look as busy as possible where as here dey will stop u workin and hav a chat wit u.. der is no real pressure on d industrial work its all safety orientated... to challenge d red seal u need to fill out a form so they can verify u.. im not sure if d 72 months is dat important.. to verify u dey will ring ur previous employer(i dont know if dey really do as my previous and only employer went in2 liquidation and dont exist anymore) ur better off to bring as much information as u can to dem, ur original certificate, p60s, p45, any payslips dat u have.. d more information d betr as dey like to reject people cos everytime dey review ur paperwork dey charge $450 so ur betr off to give dey everythin so dey hav no choice but to accept u

Hi,
    Im thinking of heading over just want to know does your fas training count in the contrbuition to the 72 months?It works out as 12 months so i think i will be short if it doesnt count. Do you know anything about it? thanks

Hi,
    Im thinking of heading over just want to know does your fas training count in the contrbuition to the 72 months?It works out as 12 months so i think i will be short if it doesnt count. Do you know anything about it? thanks

• Advertisement

Hi not a 100% but i think its just work time they count. But i sent off my references a few weeks ago and they havnt checked any of them. If you can just add on a bit of work time if your employer can say you were with him longer doesnt look like they follow it up. Just send your original fas cert and a photocopy of your passport its all there in the form anyway. have you a job offer.

Did they not call any of your ex employers? Well im sending off my stuff in the next few days, and if i get approved i will get a job offer. i think ill just add on a the time to my other employers, had you to get written references for your application?

I definately know they didnt contact 2 i only gave 3 references and i gave my current employer as first on the list and they have not checked that up. Lookin at other posts lads sayin they never checked either. Are you a spark.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 eim

Hi, just wondering if there's many decent neighborhoods in Toronto to live that are reasonabally priced. Moving.there in three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭davymc31

ANY GLAZIERS ON HERE I NEED ANSWERS TO A FEW QUESTIONS

tony53 wrote: »
    Hi Lads I'm heading over in the next couple of weeks to work for Tarpon,
    Has anyone got any info on Drayton Valley.
    Ill be based out of Calgary, that's my hub. Has Drayton Valley oil too,as I was told i'd be working within the oil industry
    Cant find out much about it on utube or wiki.
    Thanks
    hi tony.my husband has heard from them since we went to expo.hes an electrician .they have asked for his certs ,hours of employment etc which hes gathering at mo. i think they have to be legally signed.they did ask him how soon he could go and if he had family which we do .hes sent them an email back and hasnt heard anything back yet. do you know if many people got taken on and are they expecting people to go straight away?

sunnymilo wrote: »
    hi tony.my husband has heard from them since we went to expo.hes an electrician .they have asked for his certs ,hours of employment etc which hes gathering at mo. i think they have to be legally signed.they did ask him how soon he could go and if he had family which we do .hes sent them an email back and hasnt heard anything back yet. do you know if many people got taken on and are they expecting people to go straight away?

Hi
    Their only getting back to Calgary now as their recruitment went to the Uk also the week after being here
    Send them another mail
    It will take 6 to 10 weeks before your hubby's paper work goes through and you all land there , but that wait applies to everyone at the moment, though I'd say there's a bit of a back log developing but I'd go for them they are big and reliable
    T

hi tony.thanks for getting back so quick.did you get job with them from the jobs expo ? girl from hr emailed stew yesterday and wanted an update on his paperwork.hes to get certs signed by a commissioner of oaths thursday . sending everything off friday.we lived in canada for a couple of months 2yrs ago and lived in a town called fernie in rockies. would love to go back there.had a look @ some of the locations. .we wernt expecting word back so quick and have loads to here first like finish an attic conversion ,organise renting it .stew might have to go first.heard theres a back log with the visas.

sunnymilo wrote: »
    hi tony.thanks for getting back so quick.did you get job with them from the jobs expo ? girl from hr emailed stew yesterday and wanted an update on his paperwork.hes to get certs signed by a commissioner of oaths thursday . sending everything off friday.we lived in canada for a couple of months 2yrs ago and lived in a town called fernie in rockies. would love to go back there.had a look @ some of the locations. .we wernt expecting word back so quick and have loads to here first like finish an attic conversion ,organise renting it .stew might have to go first.heard theres a back log with the visas.

Hi Sunny
    Tarpon are a big company and have lots of work
    It'll prob be Jan or Feb before Stew gets here as the paper work for AAIT is starting to jam
    It used to be 2 weeks turnaround
    I got the job through my cv ages ago not through expo
    Send me a pm and ill help through Facebook pages and groups to join
    Good look with the extension !!
    T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Anyone know the current waiting time for AIT processing of electrical trade papers?

I've been waiting four weeks now..

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Advertisement