Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

eilo1 wrote: »
    Cider Snob! ;) lol

Totally.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Guinness in my local and then whatever is going well wherever I am. Developed quite a fondness for Belfast Black over the last few months.

Like Robinph, I wouldn't drink Bulmers on principle but I wouldn't turn down a nice cider if it was put in front of me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

repeats previous cider snob comment

grumble grumble grumble...............................:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Miller longnecks. Ahhhh.... amber nectar gently flowing down and tickling my throat just before it caresses my stomach:). But only the one:mad: coz my bloods go ape for a day after. And only 75c a bottle:D. Wish i was back in Boston now.............

Hmm i have to say as much as i dislike beer there is something tempting about a nice cold bottle of miller in the summer time.........................

• Advertisement

While we are on the topic of drink, just interested what were the recommendations by your doctors/nurses?

I was recommended to drink Pilsner and the like or Guinness (lucky me as I like both) and to stay away from lager and alcopops. Spirits were recommended to me above lager.

Is this typical or has it even come up in conversation with your nurse/doctor at all?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Have not been drinking for a long time (have been either pregnant or trying for a baby) but Bailleys or a glass of dry white wine is my thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

CramCycle wrote: »
    While we are on the topic of drink, just interested what were the recommendations by your doctors/nurses?

I was recommended to drink Pilsner and the like or Guinness (lucky me as I like both) and to stay away from lager and alcopops. Spirits were recommended to me above lager.

Is this typical or has it even come up in conversation with your nurse/doctor at all?
    It never came up with my doctor at all - can not drink much in general due to another medical condition - am a type 1 diabetic over 26 years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

From the pages of Carbs and Cals, ranging from 9g per pint to 42g per pint:
    Lager < Stout < Dry Cider* < Ale** < Sweet Cider*** < Alcopop (bottle) < Vintage Cider

*Can't be found in Irish pubs, I certainly never saw any.
    **Smithwicks doesn't count, think along the lines of Porterhouse or Messr MaGuires brews
    ***That Bulmers "cider" is probably sweeter than the example they tested.

Just found a letter on the doormat today as I went out for a run, never left the house yesterday. Was from the hospital wondering why I didn't turn up for an appointment on Wednesday and that if I don't contact them within 28 days they will kick me off their lists.

Never even knew I had an appointment to go to. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

robinph wrote: »
    Just found a letter on the doormat today as I went out for a run, never left the house yesterday. Was from the hospital wondering why I didn't turn up for an appointment on Wednesday and that if I don't contact them within 28 days they will kick me off their lists.

Never even knew I had an appointment to go to. :mad:

Could've been a mistake. I got a text about an appointment about a month ago I hadn't received a letter about. When I phoned them, they apologised, saying that that apointment was for someone else and they'd just gotten the names mixed up and sent me the reminder text instead. I was freaking out because it was only five days before the appointment and I hadn't a clue what it was for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I drink beer or red wine usually.
    Doc advised Coors light and bottles rather than pints but said it doesn't really matter! Personally i stay well away from spirits. I find that if i drink them with a diet soft drink then I end up with severe hypos but if i go with a full fat soft drink then i end up really high so i just stay away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

I was at a doctor's appointment yesterday (not diabetes related appointment) and she asked, as you do, about my health.. said I was diabetic, as you do, she asked Type 1 or 2, I said Type 1. Then she had a good look at me and exclaimed, "but you're not at all fat! You're far too thin to be diabetic!"

I'm used to that from people in general, but not from doctors!

:(

xxshebeexx wrote: »
    I was at a doctor's appointment yesterday (not diabetes related appointment) and she asked, as you do, about my health.. said I was diabetic, as you do, she asked Type 1 or 2, I said Type 1. Then she had a good look at me and exclaimed, "but you're not at all fat! You're far too thin to be diabetic!"

I have a book I got donkeys years ago called something like "Funny, you don't look like a Diabetic ". Had forgotten I had it until the brother was round one time and spotted it on the bookshelf and started laughing at the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

xxshebeexx wrote: »

I had a dentist tell me that i needed extra checkups because of all the extra sugar i'd be eating due to my diabetes :rolleyes:

BC wrote: »
    I had a dentist tell me that i needed extra checkups because of all the extra sugar i'd be eating due to my diabetes :rolleyes:

I'm actually more surprised by that than the doctors comments. I have several friends (2) who are dentists and they are given very specific training on warning Diabetics about blood sugar levels and the increased risk of gum disease

Im really suprised by the doctors comments!! I would definetly change gp's!

Quick question for everyone, do you all measure your blood sugars in mmol? So your readings are 5.5, 17.5, 8.3 etc?

I just ask because we are having a lecture in Diabetes next week in college and I had a look a the notes his morning. The lecturer has put all readings in the american format of 110, 70, 140 etc.

Is there some move to change the irish numbers to match the american ones?

eilo1 wrote: »
    Im really suprised by the doctors comments!! I would definetly change gp's!

Quick question for everyone, do you all measure your blood sugars in mmol? So your readings are 5.5, 17.5, 8.3 etc?

I just ask because we are having a lecture in Diabetes next week in college and I had a look a the notes his morning. The lecturer has put all readings in the american format of 110, 70, 140 etc.

Is there some move to change the irish numbers to match the american ones?

I was under the impression that there was a move to change the american ones to mmol/L in the future as they are the only ones who use it. Knowing lecturers, he probably pulled the notes of someone else and never edited them, regardless in Ireland we use mmol/L and there is no move to change this system, your lecturer should be doing the same. You should ask him is there a reason, at least he'll know your paying attention :D

I was under the impression that there was a move to change the american ones to mmol/L in the future as they are the only ones who use it. Knowing lecturers, he probably pulled the notes of someone else and never edited them, regardless in Ireland we use mmol/L and there is no move to change this system, your lecturer should be doing the same. You should ask him is there a reason, at least he'll know your paying attention :D

I was thinking it might be a case of pulling info off the internet. Seems silly to try and teach physio's the number for hypo's etc in the american format as when we are in hospitals it will be mmol.
    Shows a real lack of understanding of the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I thought there was going to be a change. I vaguely recall being told that at the DESMOND course.

• Advertisement

I have heard of them changing the scale used for the HBA1C, but not for bg numbers. Much bigger task to change how we all measure ourselves so I can't see it ever happening. Simpler to just change what numbers medics refer to than the much greater number of patients who use the numbers.

I have heard of them changing the scale used for the HBA1C, but not for bg numbers. Much bigger task to change how we all measure ourselves so I can't see it ever happening. Simpler to just change what numbers medics refer to than the much greater number of patients who use the numbers.

I heard this too. Big error here is that people assume that HBA1C is a direct average of your blood sugar levels, where as it is a direct measurement of glycosalated blood sugar whereas as your blood sugar levels measure exactly that.

HBA1C is measured in either percentage or mmol of glycosalated blood/moles of Hemeoglobin in general and they were planning (I think) to switch to the second.

Quick scoot around and I found this:

http://professional.diabetes.org/GlucoseCalculator.aspx

Supposedly gives your average BG level based on your HBA1C if anyone is interested.

Quick scoot around and I found this:

http://professional.diabetes.org/GlucoseCalculator.aspx

Supposedly gives your average BG level based on your HBA1C if anyone is interested.

Mine comes out scarily high based on what I remember my last HBA1c being. No wonder they want it to come down. I'd not have guessed my average to have been in the 12's, I was thinking 9 or 10 maybe. :eek:

Why is it always sunny on the days that they get you in to put drops in your eyes? I dream of a day where they have me in for that where it's chucking it down with rain, really nasty black clouds and not a hint of sun in the sky. Of course I'd not be hoping for thunder and lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Why is it always sunny on the days that they get you in to put drops in your eyes? I dream of a day where they have me in for that where it's chucking it down with rain, really nasty black clouds and not a hint of sun in the sky. Of course I'd not be hoping for thunder and lightning.

A friend of mine called to me today after he'd had his eye exam, I had mine done about 3 weeks ago - both gloriously sunny days! The universe is conspiring against us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

I know a lot of you have done the DAFNE course, but for those who are like me and don't have access to DAFNE here is an online resource. http://www.dafneonline.co.uk/

Haven't gone into it much yet but I will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 samehere

i did my blood test for glucose level fasting ....................i got 8.8mmol/l and my gp said there is no sign of diabetes ...........but i think its relatively high range ...........dont know what to do?

Smiley robinph today. :D

Managed to do a decent time in a half marathon, wearing the pump, didn't go too high, didn't go too low and managed it with only downing one gel on the way round whereas before I'd have taken 3 or 4 of them to cover that distance.

It wasn't a PB time, but it was a very hilly course so I know I'll smash my current PB on a fast course. I also won a t-shirt for finishing in the top 50. :D

More of my rambling here for those that are interested.

• Advertisement

samehere wrote: »
    i did my blood test for glucose level fasting ....................i got 8.8mmol/l and my gp said there is no sign of diabetes ...........but i think its relatively high range ...........dont know what to do?

What did you do, a fasting glucose level or a glucose tolerance test?

Advertisement