Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buy a car as new resident in ireland?

Options
  • 19-12-2014 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

hi,

before I move to Ireland I need to sell my car (lhd + dutch car, and 3.2 liter)
    can I just buy the same car (or almost the same) in ireland or do I need to wait a few months?

I will be selling my 2001 Porsche boxster S and I will be getting a 1999 boxster 2.5 liter in ireland.

can I just buy it directly or do I need to wait a few months? got my driving licence 2 Jan 2006.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Asmooh wrote: »
    hi,

before I move to Ireland I need to sell my car (lhd + dutch car, and 3.2 liter)
    can I just buy the same car (or almost the same) in ireland or do I need to wait a few months?

I will be selling my 2001 Porsche boxster S and I will be getting a 1999 boxster 2.5 liter in ireland.

can I just buy it directly or do I need to wait a few months? got my driving licence 2 Jan 2006.

There is nothing stopping you buying a car immediately once in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

thanks, is tuning allowed in ireland? in holland we can just do everything what we want as long it's safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

You could bring your car with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

thanks, is tuning allowed in ireland? in holland we can just do everything what we want as long it's safe.

Well basically, to legally have a car on the road here you must have a driving licence, car insurance, motortax and NCT (roadworthiness test).
    You can modify a car but you must notify insurer plus certain mods may fail the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pheelay

mickdw wrote: »
    You can modify a car but you must notify insurer plus certain mods may fail the NCT.

You can modify a car within the boundaries of the law, sure, in theory.

Realistically, you will have hard time finding an insurance company to give a reasonable quote for a new policy when the word 'modified' is mentioned :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

What exactly do you mean by tuning?
    Engine high hp?shouldn't be a problem as long as it can pass emissions test and insurance wil. Be crazy money I would definitely recommend getting quotes before you buy a car.
    Road tax is pretty high here too 2.5 is prob 1400eish .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

What exactly do you mean by tuning?
    Engine high hp?shouldn't be a problem as long as it can pass emissions test and insurance wil. Be crazy money I would definitely recommend getting quotes before you buy a car.
    Road tax is pretty high here too 2.5 is prob 1400eish .

Road tax on the 2.5 Boxster is €1,080 annually. If you decide to bring your 3.2 with you tax is €1,809 for the same period. Though tax is high, you should pick up a 2.5 a lot cheaper than you would in Holland.

Cars can be tuned here- but all these changes should be disclosed to your insurance provider. (In the case of a claim the insurer may decide not to pay out in the event of non disclosure of modifications). Also depending on the extent of the modifications such as a significant alteration you might find it very difficult to find insurance in the first place.

thanks everyone,

I know about the road tax of 1080 vs 1800 that's why I chose the 2.5 instead of 2.7 or 3.2.
    by tuning I mean:
    - styling (it's a 6000 euro worth 'styling' package)
    - turbo kit
    - different exhaust system
    - race cat
    - black smoke lights
    - lowering
    - wider wheels
    - maybe something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

I hope you got deep deep pockets, you will get taken for a ride by insurers, why the mad tuning on a porsche? just take your 3.2 to Ireland with no tuning, probably cheaper in the long run

getting a 2.5 and tax, insurance as a non resident (are you?) on a souped up porsche, (that's all insurers will think) = $$$$$

probably better take that 3.2 as stock and insure that.

thanks for the information,

my 3.2 is stock but it's also lhd instead of rhd so that's why I want to change.
    why is tuned up making it so expensive? I can understand that the turbo and extra lower can make it a bit more expensive but why so much?

the other thing was, I could get a rhd in Holland also (still cheaper than my lhd) and drive in ireland.
    the problem is that I will be more than 183 in ireland and I will be written in.
    and what I did read was that I still need to pay roas tax, that's 1800 a year.

I don't know if dutch insurance likes if I'm more out the country than in the country.
    but even if that wasn't a problem, the 183 days limit is.

or can I just go to England every half year and save a gas ticket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

thanks everyone,

I know about the road tax of 1080 vs 1800 that's why I chose the 2.5 instead of 2.7 or 3.2.
    by tuning I mean:
    - styling (it's a 6000 euro worth 'styling' package) €6000
    - turbo kit - (€3000 - €4000)
    - different exhaust system (€1100)
    - race cat (€800 - 1500)
    - black smoke lights (€200)
    - lowering (€250)
    - wider wheels (€1100)
    - maybe something else?

I've just added rough estimates to the cost of what you want to do the car and it's looking close to €19,000 (assuming the 2.5 car cost of 6,000). Are you really serious with this level of work? You could buy a Cayman or close enough to a Cayman S with that sort of money.

You could just bring your 3.2 with you and just spend on the extra on the tax. I'm currently paying that level of tax on a 3.5! I wouldn't personally feel the need to have to modify a Porsche to that level but each to their own.

Advertisement