Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

new phone suggestions!

• 15-12-2013 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I want to get a new phone for christmas but am stuck as to which model to get. I'm 15 and quite good with technology. I currently have a samsung galaxy mini which is in ok shape seeing as ive had it for over three years, besides the fact that the home button is gone. I really like samsungs but wouldnt mind getting a different make. I would definitely prefer an android also. my parents would pay 200 euro and i can pay extra myself if i want. although i only have a little over 100 euro myself. any ideas would be great! thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Nexus 4? Keep an eye on adverts.ie for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭doyle97

I was interested in that but can you not buy it in shops? preferably on 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

anyone have any opinions on the galaxy express 2, although i can only find it on vodafone, the lg optimus g pro (I think), and is the s3 mini really a bargain at 169 euro or what about the s3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

I'm selling my 2 month old nexus 4 on adverts for 250, pm me if your interested, other than that get a Moto G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Moto G is the best bang for buck you're going to get in that price range.

how does the moto g compare to the samsung galaxy s3 mini ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

doyle97 wrote: »
    how does the moto g compare to the samsung galaxy s3 mini ?

No comparison, immeasurably better phone.

Is the nexus 4 not sold in shops in ireland can anyone tell me? Slightly confused

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

no its not sold in ireland full stop

• Advertisement

kinda disappointed the nexsus 4 isnt sold in ireland, looks class, kinda weary about buying second hand as well..looking at the moto g now, any other suggestions?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

kinda disappointed the nexsus 4 isnt sold in ireland, looks class, kinda weary about buying second hand as well..looking at the moto g now, any other suggestions?

For sub 250, the only things you will get that are good phones is the Moto G or a second hand (as they aren't made new any more) Nexus 4. Both of those will be SIM free and you can use on any network. Don't go for some piece of crap that you can but in a 3 store or carphone warehouse as for that budget they will be inferior to the 2 phones already discussed. The only other options are some of the more reliable Chinese phones, but they may be hit and miss depending on the model. I don't have any real info on them though apart from knowing that some people choose them as cheaper options for handsets. There will be threads here if you search, but you should stay with the aforementioned options. Moto G will fit the bill I'd say, but again not sold here directly, although not hard to get apart from some supply issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

You can order a Nexus 4 by following one of the methods oultined here

Edit: I'm not sure they are selling the N4 anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

5starpool wrote: »
    For sub 250, the only things you will get that are good phones is the Moto G or a second hand (as they aren't made new any more) Nexus 4. Both of those will be SIM free and you can use on any network. Don't go for some piece of crap that you can but in a 3 store or carphone warehouse as for that budget they will be inferior to the 2 phones already discussed. The only other options are some of the more reliable Chinese phones, but they may be hit and miss depending on the model. I don't have any real info on them though apart from knowing that some people choose them as cheaper options for handsets. There will be threads here if you search, but you should stay with the aforementioned options. Moto G will fit the bill I'd say, but again not sold here directly, although not hard to get apart from some supply issues.

Seems like it is from today ;) both Meteor and Argos have them for sale, but not at prices id bewilling to pay considering prices in Tesco NI, just glad i got mine for the missus :D

BTW OP get the Moto G if your not getting the Nexus 4, its a great phone and its guaranteed to get the latest update. Speed wise it pucnhes well above ite weight, i found it very hard to get any stutter out of it and thats coming from a Nexus 5 user. You will need to spend alot more money to beat it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭confusedquark

If you're OK with a 4.5 inch screen, I'd go for the moto g hands down, nothing compares to it for the price, and nothing is likely to challenge it for value for a year - until next year's iteration of it comes out.

thanks for that everyone! although im still seriously thinking of the s3 mini as its only 169 euro on three right now and i know samsungs are thrustworthy! can anyone explain to me the key differences between the two or why i should choose the moto g over the s3 mini?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 watalee

buy a 2nd note 3? i think note 3 is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

can anyone explain to me the key differences between the two or why i should choose the moto g over the s3 mini?

Bigger better display , battery, software, future android updates, processor, literally everything about the moto g is better and for the same price as the S3 mini if you order from tesco.co.uk .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

watalee wrote: »
    buy a 2nd note 3? i think note 3 is the best.

Note 3 for me next for sure, coming up from an s3 which IMO is a damn good phone! Its so good that I'm going to keep it and not sell it on, its in almost new condition after 2 years!!

For the OP, if you could stretch to a note 3 then do, even just for the battery life alone its worth it, if not an s3 would be a good option

Note 3 for me next for sure, coming up from an s3 which IMO is a damn good phone! Its so good that I'm going to keep it and not sell it on, its in almost new condition after 2 years!!

For the OP, if you could stretch to a note 3 then do, even just for the battery life alone its worth it, if not an s3 would be a good option

i don't agree. i had s3 before. Note 3 is much much better than s3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Obviously if money isn't a barrier note 3 or the LG G2 are the best phones you can buy but I think the OP has a limit of 200 euro for which the Moto G is probably the best. I have one and I think it's pretty class.

i don't agree. i had s3 before. Note 3 is much much better than s3.

I hope so as.I'm 100% getting one when my upgrade is due!!

Why do you think so??

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

beno619 wrote: »
    Bigger better display , battery, software, future android updates, processor, literally everything about the moto g is better and for the same price as the S3 mini if you order from tesco.co.uk .

You asked for our opinions OP, so trust us on this one. The S3 mini might be fine for you, but the Moto G will be much better.

I hope so as.I'm 100% getting one when my upgrade is due!!

Why do you think so??

Note 3 has better screen, longer batter life, stylus, better camera and better design.

So much advantages.

Note 3 has better screen, longer batter life, stylus, better camera and better design.

So much advantages.

Camera... Yes

Both the bigger screen/stylus and especially design is subjective though... Whilst I agree with you as I want one, some would see those as disadvantages (lots I have spoked to say its JUST TOO BIG!!) and personally I don't think the design is nicer than the s3, just my opinion...

If your a fan of bigger screens then for sure, but for me its the battery is the main selling point.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Go to a shop and play around with the various phones. A Note is great for me but might not be great for you.
    Once you see a phone you like the shape of google it for specs.

thanks very much everyone! while i do like the idea of the note 3 the size and price just aren't for me! i think I'm gonna have to go for the moto g! its sold out of argos until january 19th in uk and ireland so I'm just going to get it on meteor and pay to have it unlocked which still works out cheaper and is within my 300 euro budget! I'm excited to get it though especially after looking at it on their website, looks class! and I like the idea of the different shells you can get. also looking forward tothe 4.4 upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

thanks very much everyone! while i do like the idea of the note 3 the size and price just aren't for me! i think I'm gonna have to go for the moto g! its sold out of argos until january 19th in uk and ireland so I'm just going to get it on meteor and pay to have it unlocked which still works out cheaper and is within my 300 euro budget! I'm excited to get it though especially after looking at it on their website, looks class! and I like the idea of the different shells you can get. also looking forward tothe 4.4 upgrade

Current batch of Meteor phones are unlocked so no need for unlocking, also a friend of mine picked on eup in their grafton st store yesterday said they got a big delivery and had plenty in stock ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭bren2001

Cheapest place to order is Tesco Direct UK. Two big threads on it:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057082405&page=65

and

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057082234&page=33

Stock has come in the past two Saturdays if you get up early. Takes a few days to come via Parcel Motel (only). Unlock code £2. Flash with stock rom (no real need). €40 cheaper than Meteor. I'd set up an account today if you are going that way, its a bit tricky.

• Advertisement
Advertisement