Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you still listen to Newstalk Breakfast after Ivan Yates

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He's said he won't be returning to Ireland any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

I don't think he's hankering to get back to Newstalk tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

getting sick of this show now, started listening about a year ago and thought it was great, they miss Ivan but chris has done a pretty good job. The thing that annoys me about the show is that i listen to it between 8-9 and every morning they seem to be having a whinge about a government dept/minister, same oul ****e every day.

Started listening to podcasts on the commute instead

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

mike65 wrote: »
    He's said he won't be returning to Ireland any time soon.

oooh i'd say about a year !

:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Not entirely related to the thread but has anyone seen the picture of Chris O Donoghue in papers today being used to advertise some college? Not his best side and looking a tiny bit smug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Irishoz

Irishoz wrote: »
    I dipped into it yesterday and heard Norah Casey on. It's obvious they are lining her up for a permanent slot and are just running her through the a trial right now. She has a real personality, which is a plus on Breakfast. She also speaks very well and given her performance on the Fiscal Treaty debate it is obvious she is informed. I like her. Herself and Chris seem to be on an even playing field, so no Ivan-esq talking down to little Chris. However I still dunno about Chris. He is full of political knowledge and obviously loves what he does, but you has got to be able to make people warm to you in a presenters chair on a big show like that. I really think he should stick to pure news. As for Coleman...bye bye!

Looks like my prediction turned out! Good luck to her. As for Chris, he is a former Griffith College student and they are using him in their campaign. Suppose for his age he is entitled to look smug - hosting a national breakfast show at his age - 27 I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nickbrun

Chris O Donoghue is a disaster, comes across as arrogant and smug all the time. He was just about bearable while Ivan was beside him but the show is now unlistenable.
    Newstalk get shut of him. Better suited to some college radio slot somewhere, GriffFM perhaps??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I the show is better with Casey on instead of Clifford or Coleman. It's still not as good as when Ivan was on, mind. I only listen to it from approx 8:50 until 10:00, so maybe my limited exposure is reducing its effect on me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yakuza wrote: »
    I the show is better with Casey on instead of Clifford or Coleman. It's still not as good as when Ivan was on, mind. I only listen to it from approx 8:50 until 10:00, so maybe my limited exposure is reducing its effect on me!

The core part of the show is from 7 to 9 though. From 9 onwards, it's a good bit more light-hearted and "chatty".
    It's awfully cringeworthy in the earlier slot. I don't want to listen to presenters' opinions. I want well-researched facts unearhted and put to the various guests they bring on the show and I want them grilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Not entirely related to the thread but has anyone seen the picture of Chris O Donoghue in papers today being used to advertise some college? Not his best side and looking a tiny bit smug.

Griffith College are hitching on to the Donoghue bandwagon I presume.:pac:
    Chris is a famous alumni of theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

pauldoo wrote: »
    getting sick of this show now, started listening about a year ago and thought it was great, they miss Ivan but chris has done a pretty good job.

Just listening to them now.. Chris seems to be like a school kid on his best behaviour, his personality has completely changed since Ivan left... No banter, no fun.. She doesnt shut up about her kids.

His Ts really start to grate on me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Is there any chance that Casey will ever let someone answer a question. This morning when discussing the Shortall resignation she interrupted the person answering her question four times. Got so fed up I switched over, she is dreadful so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I listen to the radio a lot when travelling to work. Chris on Newstalk irritates me with the amount of time he takes telling listeners about the time and when the news, business etc. is coming up-I'd say he takes about ten minutes every day on this! He also loves the word "so".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its the same script every day, do they realise that they are now on a treadmill? If this were radio drama I'd condemn the quality of their dialogue.

They have about a dozen lines and just keep repeating them.

Ended up turning to BBC radio 4 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Been listening to more of the breakfast show in last few weeks than I would previously have done, and am hearing it earlier in the morning too. I've come to the conclusion that Norah Casey is awful, Chris O'Donoghue is bearable (just) and I quite like Shane Coleman.

It's a mess of a show though, going downhill big-time in my books...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

Listened to decent (length of time wise) section of show past few days, had only caught snippets past few weeks.
    Found it very poor. Nor sure why Chris refers to Norah as "Casey" - i imagine its meant to sound pally, sounds a bit silly.
    Main tactic seems to be ask a question and interupt answer almost immediately.

I would guess show has lost listeners since Ivan left.

How about a cranky Hookie in the morning???

Advertisement