Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dearly departed....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

One of the greats of modern literature. She is going to be very sadly missed.

Spread wrote: »
    Tut tut Rubecula. He was born in either New Brighton, Rock Ferry or Wallasey. I once saw him in Davy Jones's Locker when he was doing a bit of Rep. That was 1969 as far as I remember. He also appeared in Heartbeat as a lovable rogue.

New Brighton, Rock Ferry and Wallasey are all on the Wirral by the way. I used to get the ferry over as a kid and it was a great place for a day out. I still go there occasionally. I think dear old Geoffrey was one of the more famous of the Wirral's sons. Bless him. He played the loveable rogue to perfection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Goodbye Maeve Binchy, you were such a really nice oul wan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Managed to hear some of Maeve Binchy's interviews on the radio this morning, and remembered hearing them the first time round. Although I didn't take to her books I absolutely loved her interviews. She had a cracking sense of humour and the strangest things always seemed to happen to her! :) She always made me feel that I would have liked to have been Maeve Binchy myself - that is not a well structured sentence but y'get m'drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

sorry to hear of the death of david barbie this week,a real gentleman,he was always on the likes of ,the antique roadshow,bargain hunt,and antiques road trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Another sad day for litrature, Gore Vidal has passed away.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Con Houlihan RIP - the Bard Of Castle Island. Ireland's greatest sports writer and possibly the only contemporary Irishman to have three busts erected in his honour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

I've just discovered that Angharad Rees passed away a couple of weeks back. Demelza Poldark was my first big crush. Very sad news - RIP.

_61733517_7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Winnie Johnson, the mother of Moors murder victim Keith Bennett has lost her battle with cancer and died still never knowing where Ian Brady buried her son

a mix of sadness and anger at this news,

I hope she is finally at peace and if not, then I hope she haunts the f*ck out of Brady

I totally agree with that one BBDBB. Bless her, she had so much pain in her life, may he rot in hell.

• Advertisement

Another old favourite of mine has gone, Phyllis Diller, aged 95yrs. Never did get to see 'Fang'!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Scott McKenzie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bch1_Ep5M1s

( wish I still had hair into which flowers could be put )

Always loved that song. Sad to hear of his passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

the guy who did the voice of the Count Von Count on the Muppets died...

I used to love that guy (though my grasp of maths has always been one of my weaker subjects!)

ah the memories...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I never knew that was what the Count was called! Its still something we say - 'one, ha ha ha' even though our youngest, now 25 was not a child of the muppet era and never saw Sesame Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Neil Armstrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Max Bygraves. Remember "Gilly gilly oxen vepper catcha nalla bogin by the sea?"(or words to that effect)

Aw sorry to hear about Max Bygraves. I used to sing that song, I loved it, happy funny songs. But I usually misheard the words of songs and sang them wrong. This is my version:

"gilly gilly ossen ffpepper castinella over by the sea"

But it really was this:

"Gilly-gilly-hassenpfeffer-catch-an-Allan-Bogen-by-the-sea"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

sad news ladies and gents

Andy Williams has died aged 84 of cancer

a great voice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHWcvHYDmkY

RIP

• Advertisement

Used to like his TV show too. RIP Andy.

Not too long ago I watched a documentary on Andy Williams and he was interviewed about some of the guests and how they were choreographed for the numbers. It seems they thought it was a great idea to have them being all athletic during the song, because Johnny Mathis had been a champion high-jumper in his younger days. And guess what, I found it on Youtube. Andy said it was a tough routine. Both great singers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Herbert Lom. Better known to most as Inspecter Clouseau's boss, Dreyfus, in the Pink Panther movies.
    He was 95.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I need to re-watch "The Lady-Killers" now.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Larry Cunningham died a couple of days ago. But I wasn't a fan.

Morgan Freeman. "WHY do they call you Red? Answer "I guess it's because I'm Irish" (shawshank redemption). What a loss!

:eek: Where did you see that Poppy?

There were rumours last month too. All false of course.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/celebrities/7691866/Please-stop-killing-Morgan-Freeman

Chucken wrote: »
    :eek: Where did you see that Poppy?

There were rumours last month too. All false of course.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/celebrities/7691866/Please-stop-killing-Morgan-Freeman

Your right Chuck....A hoax!, and I fell for it, Sorrrrrrrreee!

NFL great Alex Karras -- who also played Mongo in "Blazing Saddles" -- died this morning after suffering kidney failure ... this according to a family spokesperson.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/category/r-i-p/#ixzz28zzLDBwd

• Advertisement

'Candygram for Mongo!' Another of my favourite films!

Advertisement