Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pistol Licence Requirements

• 24-07-2014 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Guy I was enquiring today with my local supers office about requirements for a .22 Target Pistol, 2 things he requires are and alarm system and a travel box /safe for my car. So I'm after some help with sourcing and pricing some sort of case / safe for my car, as for the alarm I'm hoping a DIY job mite suffice.
    Guys and Gals if there are any in this forum, I know what the requirement are in relation to licencing a 22 pistol, this is additional.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Wadi14 wrote: »
    ....... 2 things he requires are and alarm system and a travel box /safe for my car.
    Plus range membership, but i assume you've that covered.
    So I'm after some help with sourcing and pricing some sort of case / safe for my car, as for the alarm I'm hoping a DIY job mite suffice.
    I never had to do this, but heard of others that did. A locked security box was accepted, but absolutely not a DIY one. Must be something of "substance".

Some gun dealers carry a line of travel safes. Was in Jim McBrides tonight and has has one or two, but there are also sites that sell online. Such as this crowd.
    Guys and Gals if there are any in this forum, I know what the requirement are in relation to licencing a 22 pistol, this is additional.
    The thing is what is required for one may not be required for another. I had a 9mm restricted pistol. The restrictions my mate had on his unrestricted .22 were harsher than i was made use/do because he had a different Super/Chief Super. They can realistically put whatever they deem necessary onto it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

According to the SI an alarm is only required for 2 restricted firearms or more than 3 non-restricted. Nothing about security while in transit either.

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/SI%20307%202009%20FIREARMS%20%28SECURE%20ACCOMMODATION%29%20REGULATIONS%202009.pdf

But if a certain Super wants to make his own rules you got to follow them. Wonderful eh.....

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Cass, the DIY is for the alarm, it would be too easy to say ahh sure I wont bother getting a pistol if I need all this stuff eh.

aye Heckler, I have read the regulations, but these are add ons, to be sure to be sure, I can forget about a pistol if I don't comply and I can hear that Hammerli calling me from afar lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

The security box should be easy enough. Alarms can be expensive though. Did he say whether or not it had to be a monitored alarm ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Heckler wrote: »
    According to the SI an alarm is only required for 2 restricted firearms or more than 3 non-restricted. Nothing about security while in transit either.

But if a certain Super wants to make his own rules you got to follow them. Wonderful eh.....
    It's not making up his own rules.

The security levels are MINIMUM. Meaning they are the absolute least amount of security you must have for that amount of firearms. However the SI allows for a Super or Chief Super to impose much higher or even other security measures if he deems them necessary.

The alarm, travel box, etc. I've heard and seen them all before so it's nothing new.
    Wadi14 wrote: »
    Cass, the DIY is for the alarm, it would be too easy to say ahh sure I wont bother getting a pistol if I need all this stuff eh.
    Never sopped that. Just make sure it will suffice. All house alarms are meant to be done by a registered installer. I done alarms years ago with my Father before the registration was necessary and even i could not install my own.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Preferably monitored, but I'm going to get back to them on that one , if I can get away with none monitored I'd go for that if not I don't think the expense is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Just punting this out to the main shooting forum because it'll be of wider interest (and it has more to do with the logistics of getting the licence than the sport afterwards)

Advertisement