Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Full Length Amateur Drama Circuit 2012

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pat loughnane

Any play that is good enough to get to Athlone is entitled to good adjudication and there is nothing surprising about that . The standard is obviously very high . Everyone is in with a shout on Saturday night !

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Any play that is good enough to get to Athlone is entitled to good adjudication and there is nothing surprising about that . The standard is obviously very high . Everyone is in with a shout on Saturday night !

I agree with you to a point Pat. But the standard is higher in Athlone than at Prelim festivals and so the expectation and demands on groups should also be higher in my opinion. I think the adjudications need to get right under the production and they should be informative for the audiences and they should be aware of the elements of a good production that the adjudicator is looking for.

That said you do not want the kind of adjudicatios that Tom Doherty gave a couple of years back which were just bang out of order.

poteen wrote: »

I agree with you to a point Pat. But the standard is higher in Athlone than at Prelim festivals and so the expectation and demands on groups should also be higher in my opinion. I think the adjudications need to get right under the production and they should be informative for the audiences and they should be aware of the elements of a good production that the adjudicator is looking for.

That said you do not want the kind of adjudicatios that Tom Doherty gave a couple of years back which were just bang out of order.
    If the main objective of the adjudication is to inform the audiences then I think he is doing a good job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cavalcaders

Anyone see last nights show.........how did ballyduff get on???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

According to the Twitter feed last night, they did ok, had issues with lighting in act 1, and thought set limited the movement, but generally quite positive. Most of the adjudications have been like this too. This could go any number of ways!

• Advertisement

TrailerBob wrote: »
    According to the Twitter feed last night, they did ok, had issues with lighting in act 1, and thought set limited the movement, but generally quite positive. Most of the adjudications have been like this too. This could go any number of ways!
    Yea ... anything could happen tomorrow night ! The atmosphere is going to be electric in Athlone ... can't wait !!!

Any word how corofin got on tonight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Peter grimes

Well, what do we think of the results!!!! What a great night at the Radisson. It was really well run, I thought! Results were strange but then when are they not!!! Felt really sorry for the groups who didn't pick up anything. It is so tough. Certainly results didn't go the way people were expecting. The set nominations were so strange. Not taking anything away from Prosperous but there were better sets.
    Also very strange that the lead actress from Bunclody wasn't nominated.
    What about the 1.2.3. Definitely wouldn't have been mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

. The set nominations were so strange. Not taking anything away from Prosperous but there were better sets. .

That's where opinions are a great thing, it picked up 5 set awards on circuit too, but i am biased!

Congrats to Kilmeen on a 2 for 2, great bunch of guys What i find more peculiar is that Kilmeen won, but got no awards other than direction - and that's not to say they didn't deserve it.. they did. I spoke to one of their guys about it and he was amazed too, how can the winning group not be best in at least a couple of other areas? Again... opinions!!

This happened to us last year with a certain Mr.Kelly, runner up, but not even a consolation of a summer school award (And popular opinion was we had the best set then too!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dos1965

Well, what do we think of the results!!!! What a great night at the Radisson. It was really well run, I thought! Results were strange but then when are they not!!! Felt really sorry for the groups who didn't pick up anything. It is so tough. Certainly results didn't go the way people were expecting. The set nominations were so strange. Not taking anything away from Prosperous but there were better sets.
    Also very strange that the lead actress from Bunclody wasn't nominated.
    What about the 1.2.3. Definitely wouldn't have been mine.

Peter.

It really was a terrific night and hats off to all the award recipients. What a great sense of celebration. The organisation was wonderful.

but....

Why would you preface something with "not taking anything away ....but..." and then proceed to recommend the award was unwarranted ? You can't have it
    both ways in fairness.

• Advertisement

Its not the first time that a group wins a festival without any other awards so for me its not unusual or a bad thing. I think the Adjudicator without doubt got the No. 1 right which is the most important decision. They may not have won an acting award but the production was so well balanced acting wise that to award an individual was very difficult to do. I was delighted for Corofin. It was their first night in Athlone and some of the more established groups and likely dismissed them. Again in my mind a similar situation to Kilmeen. A balanced cast performed on the night and took a new lease of life and freshness to Athlone.

For me too many groups in Athlone this year had not Balanced casts. You had many situations where 60%/70% of them in show worked. In Athlone you will not win with less than 100%

Again Silken come in the top 3 which is a great achievement for the group. In my mind they were just about value for that. That show had so many strong moments but the difference for me was the points i Mentioned in the last paragraph.

Here's one for debate. How do people think Letterkennys '39 Steps' would have done in Athlone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Someone mentioned to me yesterday that they spoke to Walker at the interval in Shercock and he said "Well, they haven't done enough to win it for me" and that was after the 1st stronger act. He did go on to criticise the 2nd act in his adjudication. Interesting...

Someone mentioned to me yesterday that they spoke to Walker at the interval in Shercock and he said "Well, they haven't done enough to win it for me" and that was after the 1st stronger act. He did go on to criticise the 2nd act in his adjudication. Interesting...

Walker got too caught up in keeping people guessing in Shercock and went to extremes to stress that it was his decision and referenced this point on stage every night. Too often Adjudicators are trying to become the main act and centre of attention. His adjudication on closing night was by far the most severe all week in Shercock and it was just a power trip. He couldnt but give the win to Letterkenny.

It was by far and away the best show in Confined this year and in recent years.

Walker got too caught up in keeping people guessing in Shercock and went to extremes to stress that it was his decision and referenced this point on stage every night. Too often Adjudicators are trying to become the main act and centre of attention. His adjudication on closing night was by far the most severe all week in Shercock and it was just a power trip. He couldnt but give the win to Letterkenny.

It was by far and away the best show in Confined this year and in recent years.

I think you may be right. However the feeling amongst the audience up there on the night was a very mixed bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jorg

.......Here's one for debate. How do people think Letterkennys '39 Steps' would have done in Athlone ?

The Ulster finals might answer that. Letterkenny are up against the Silkies and Estuary!

So Letterkennys '39 Steps' wins the Ulster Finals with Silken in Second...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 giggs2

So Letterkennys '39 Steps' wins the Ulster Finals with Silken in Second...

I am not surprised at the Ulster winners. I saw them in Shercock and they were brilliant. They would have won in Athlone if they were there. Well done LETTERKENNY you deserved it .

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jon Joe1

Can anybody explain to me the rules involving the set and setting up in the One Act drama festival?? Anybody else thinking of doing a One Act play??

• Registered Users Posts: 37 observe

You have 10 mins to set and 5 mins to strike. These times are monitored and points deducted for going over time.
    The set should consist of free standing pieces. Essentially what can be put in place in 10 mins. Some venues on circuit are tight on wing space and storage so the less you have the better.
    But.....a one act should have a strong design element to it. 15 marks are given for PRESENTATION, including set, lighting, sound, costume makeup etc.
    All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Jon Joe1

Thanks.. To think were talking about the one acts and some groups have already beginning to hold auditions for the festival 2013 circuit... A bit mad!!

Hi guys,
    Curious as to any one who has wrote their own play and had it performed or anyone from any of the groups that put on a new play from a new writer and how it worked with the rights on the circuit?

Hi guys,
    Curious as to any one who has wrote their own play and had it performed or anyone from any of the groups that put on a new play from a new writer and how it worked with the rights on the circuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Hi guys,

Rights are the author's, standard DLI fees would apply per performance and a license issued from the author or an agent.

Advertisement