Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

why do strangers stare at me alot

Options
  • 16-02-2008 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

right u maybe think im paranoid or really silly but im not when im walking or on bus or doing anything people look over to me alot. i dont know why i get this since i was 18. even tho im used to it, sometmes it does make me scared and panic attacked and it makes me afriad of going outside sometimes. im not looking beautiful if you think thats why. im an ordinary looking person. well is there any others that get this weirdness out there?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Unfortunately people have eyes and must direct them somewhere.

Do you ever look at other people when out? You do it alot without thinking about it.

I think whats happening to you is called synergy - you noticed something happening once, and now notice it every time it occurs- which seems to you like more people are doing it, but is actually the same as all along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Nopes. I'm soooo like that it's unreal! Can't believe I'm not the only one jesus thank god for that!!! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

OP i stare sometimes, but my eyes are looking at a point but my mind is usually off a million miles away.

As said above people have to look somewhere they are no staring at you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

SDooM wrote: »
    Unfortunately people have eyes and must direct them somewhere.

Do you ever look at other people when out? You do it alot without thinking about it.

I think whats happening to you is called synergy - you noticed something happening once, and now notice it every time it occurs- which seems to you like more people are doing it, but is actually the same as all along.
    Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Nopes. I'm soooo like that it's unreal! Can't believe I'm not the only one jesus thank god for that!!! :D

Then this goes for you too, young lady!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭bilbo79

if your noticing you are staring too.

• Advertisement

bilbo79 wrote: »
    if your noticing you are staring too.

No, if shes noticing shes probably just glancing around, whereas I know what shes on about, some people just stare !!

I know how you feel OP, I get paranoid myself, sure my friends can't understand why I love walking home in the dark...figure it out! :D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I don't know whether theres a reason for people to stare at you, (have you pink hair?;)) but regardless of whether they are or whether you are imagining it, what you need to do is stop caring about it.

If you can stop worrying and feeling paranoid about it, it will no longer matter if people do or dont stare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

The vast majority of people are far too busy worrying about themselves to be staring at other people for any other reason than they happen to be in their eyeline or they have something weird about them. You say you look ordinary, so I seriously doubt that there's actually a lot of people staring at you. It's just paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭estar

the panic attacks and symptoms of anxiety and a desire
    to stay in speak a lot about you, and probably a lack of
    confidence.

do you live a lot in your own head? are you very critical
    of yourself and examine other peoples reactions to you
    a lot and what they meant / really meant etc?

you need to work on your confidence and also realise
    that everyone around you, on buses, in shops
    has a life filled with people, jobs to do, thoughts,
    information they are processing

they dont have time to look at you and think about you.
    most people spend the majority of their time worrying
    about themselves.

try and take up something that challenges you to
    develop more confidence

the more you challenge it in a gentle progressive way
    the more these feelings will reduce

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

yeah i generally let my eyes wonder. what else do you do.
    I think it may be in your head if you think of it like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭funloving

Cheeky_gal wrote: »

this happens to me a lot too...
    At the beginning I thought it was only the men staring at me,esp in summertime when you go out more naked but then I noticed the girls were doing the same...

Sometims it happens to me too to stare at other girls though, maybe because they wear something I would like to buy or have a nice bag or shoes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Are you self-conscious? Shy? Sometimes these lead to a 'paranooia' that people are looking at you. But they're not. It might be just that you intereprt everything with reference to yourself because of how you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Its paranoia. Im sure you think every person that laughs is laughing at you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

maybe you're hot and you just dont know it or think it. I'm not trying to be funny, honestly. Some people don't think they are attractive, but that's only in their own eyes. People on the street see you in a different way than you see yourself.

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do."
    Olin Miller

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Or maybe its just the case that some lads (in particular) stare because they are checking you out.:) Otherwise its for reasons as stated above.

Not really a personal issue per se but if the panic attacks are as a result of this feeling of being stared at,maybe you should talk to somebody if its that bad.As stated above,it is also common to daydream and appear to be staring at people.

I particularly find myself staring at a group of people when I'm working and see them leave the departure gate to board their flight and I get a bit envious.:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You look around when you walk. You probably look at people without realising it. They notice the movement of your head towards them and look to see what the movement was. You lock eyes. You're paranoid/self-centred and assume they're staring at you.

Like someone else said, if you see them looking at you, you're looking at them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 aislingm137

well, thats right. i just think irrationally. im not self centred or paranoid im just thinking what others think. that is all

• Registered Users Posts: 81,626 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

maybe you're hot and you just dont know it or think it. I'm not trying to be funny, honestly. Some people don't think they are attractive, but that's only in their own eyes. People on the street see you in a different way than you see yourself.

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do."
    Olin Miller

All true. Its all a matter of confidence. Somedays I'm confident and dashing: other days I look like filth :p But walking down the street I have noticed how little I care about the strangers around me when I go from A to B - so I just naturally assume its the same for everyone.

I think people will agree I never really post in the PI but this really relates to me too. When ya say though it's all a lack of confidence, is it really though? Are ya sure there isn't like a reason as to why people are looking at you? I've been told they're probably just checking you out as someone said but you don't actually know that, they could be thinking the complete opposite!

On another note though I once wore a very very very rude hoodie haha too rude to even say on this but I had every second person turning 360 degrees back in SHOCK!! haha never again.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pop40

iv noticed this happening too. and iv found you just have to shrug it off. most time people are just glancing to see if they recognise you or are away with their thoughts, or sometimes theyre thinking "hmmm i like their jumper, i wonder would that look good on me"
    you only have to worry if they make a face at you ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement