Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I can't get on with the magic loop either, and prefer to use DP's. It's tricky when joining in, but after the first row, it does get easier. Just remember to mark the beginning of the row!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I love magic loop compared to DPNs! DPNs are so finiky for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    After years of being afraid of circulars I bought some off ebay and mastered the 'magic loop' from youtube. Since then I havent bothered with seams or DP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC7f9fn9wfk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mqIqRdJc68

Really, trust me just have a look at youtube before you start the hat, if you can get it at all, it will result in a much better looking hat.

But yes looking at the link, you could knit this hat flat.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Jaynes-Cunning-Hat/

Thanks, like you anytime I see a pattern that involves a circulars I normally shy away from, but last year I knit a scowl and realised it is a lot easier, but I am still nervous about circulars:o

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

Hi all

hope I'm in the right place!

I am looking to buy a present for my mam for her birthday, she absolutely loves knitting.
    I would love ideas from people of knitting related things I could get her - I'm thinking of say a good storage type bag to put all the bits and pieces in? She has just bought herself some wooden needles I think which she is delighted with, are there more things along those lines that might be considered good knitting presents, things she may not necessarily need but would still be helpful to her or a bit of a treat to have?

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated!

A nice case to keep the needles in might be nice. Or you could get her a knitting bag. eBay has a very good selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mrsmiawallace6

A row counter is a must and a stitch holder. Oh and a good little scissors and I would also agree with a good case to keep her needles in .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Do you know the kind of knitting she usually does? If she uses circular needles for example there are some lovely interchangeable bamboo sets you can get. You'd need to check if she has that sort of thing already, if she's a big knitter she may already have the most useful stuff..
    I got these:
    https://www.springwools.com/index.php/bamboo-interchangeable-circular-knitting-needle-set.html
    They've been amazing. I even switched to them from 2 straight needles when knitting a scarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I agree that stitch holder and row counter would be useful. Also bobbins and the large sewing needles and place markers. All the kinds of things that I try to make do without and improvise but would be handy to have. No harm getting more even if she already has some as the little bits and bobs are inclined to go missing easily. A bag for organising stuff would be great too cos it's not the kind if thing you'd run out and buy for yourself. I like when people pick me up yarn that they think I'll like too. Hope she likes the present :)

Thank you all for the suggestions, really helpful!
    Much appreciated :)

She mostly does blankets, fancy looking scarves and things but I'm expecting my first now next month so she's gone into baby clothes overdrive!!

Thanks again, if anyone thinks of anything else to add please let me know!

Edited to ask is there a particular site online that people recommend buying stuff from?

I use:

Love Knitting
    Deramores
    Black Sheep Wools

All have fantastic ranges and reasonable prices. Postage costs to Ireland aren't too bad either. All charge about £5 for delivery. Black Sheep is particularly good for their clearance ranges. You can get really nice yarns for buttons!

• Advertisement

Thank you so much, I'll get looking now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

If she's doing a lot of baby clothes, she might like wee buttons and ribbons.
    For aran designs, a cable needle is very useful - personally, I prefer the "cranked" kind with the bend in the middle.

Thewoolshop.ie are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 louised88

Hi all,

I'm desperately seeking three/four balls of this in colourway no 3 (dark brown) as I bought enough for a scarf, but the intended recipient has let me know she wants the scarf twice as wide and after frogging and re-knitting, the stupid thing is only about 3.5ft long.

The original stockists have sold out and aren't getting any more in, I can find it online, but I need to have the scarf finished by Wednesday and would prefer to do it over the weekend, does anyone have any of this wool lying around? I can reimburse you or replace it next week, whichever is preferable! Failing that, does anyone know of any wool shops around the Dublin/Leinster area that may stock this?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Iyaibeji

You could ring around a few of the wool shops and ask?
    Loza wool in clondalkin,
    Springwools in walkinstown,
    Aimee rose in citywest shopping centre.
    This is knit in the powerscourt townhouse centre.
    There's one in santry but I cant think of the name of it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 louised88

Iyaibeji wrote: »
    You could ring around a few of the wool shops and ask?
    Loza wool in clondalkin,
    Springwools in walkinstown,
    Aimee rose in citywest shopping centre.
    This is knit in the powerscourt townhouse centre.
    There's one in santry but I cant think of the name of it right now.

I have and no luck unfortunately, even if they stock Rico nowhere seems to have the style/colour! One place who got back to me let me know that apparently the Rico rep has left and it's been tricky to get since, but I don't know. I was hoping someone would know a few places within driving distance of Dublin I could try but I think I might need to just order online and hope it arrives on Monday so I can speed knit it before Tuesday!

Sorry I don't have any. Thewoolshop.ie do next day delivery. They might be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

my local shop has load of rico, but not that...sorry, I'll keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aidanmckeown

duckling10 wrote: »
    ps I have the name and number of the man in Shannon if anyone needs help with a machine, he has done this kind of work all his life!

Hi Duckling could you pass me that on please? Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Hi. Anyone know where I can get James C Brett Monsoon yarn in Dublin please ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Trevaskis

So I'm not much of a knitter in fact I don't knit but I have requested a 4ft knitted ostrich for my 18th in February... My mother said she will knit it for me once I get a pattern of course knitting patterns for 4ft ostriches are not in great demand therefore I must write it myself and as I don't knit I am finding this very difficult could anybody give me some advice/tips it would be greatly appreciated ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hi Trevaskis. I suspect you have been a victim of Mother-speak!

Conversation: You: Mum, for my birthday...I'd like if you could knit me something special.
    Mum: yes sure, what kind of thing?
    You: a knitted ostrich, a big one, about 4 ft high?
    Mum: ok, no problem, you get me a pattern and I will knit an ostrich.

Mum goes off wondering about an Amazon voucher, or a sweater for your birthday.

If you are not much of a knitter, you are not going to invent a pattern. Even if you were a knitter, creating a pattern for someone else to knit without doing it yourself first is a bit of an impossibility.

The only thing I can suggest is that you find a fabric ostrich soft toy pattern, photocopy it to the correct size and ask your mother if she can knit shapes the same as the pattern, then sew it together.
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=ostrich+soft+toy+pattern&rlz=1C1AVNC_enIE603IE603&espv=2&biw=1108&bih=596&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cHpgVLakHeGM7AakuIDwBA&ved=0CCsQsAQ#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=Ygq0_9yV97T81M%253A%3B5yuMBDIZnTXFAM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fmedia-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%252F736x%252F12%252F56%252F32%252F125632ed91202c67482d3886206d6595.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.pinterest.com%252Fpin%252F401946335465568148%252F%3B650%3B919

• Registered Users Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭dee_mc

It may or may not be 4 foot high, but here's a pattern for a knit ostrich. Assuming it's smaller, if your Mum is an experienced knitter she might be able to scale it up a bit. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/stuffed-ostrich

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭janmaree

kit3 wrote: »
    Hi. Anyone know where I can get James C Brett Monsoon yarn in Dublin please ?

I couldn't see Monsoon listed on their site but you could call them and ask, you never know. Otherwise, Deramores is the best online option that I have found, orders arrive very promptly and shipping is reasonable. Good luck.

Sean's Wool Cabin

Phone 0868931392

Unit 234,

Omni Park Shopping Centre,

Santry,

Dublin 9.

Call us on 0868931392

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

sorry for delay in reply aidan, sent you on details of knitting repair man in message

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭veggie newbie

I'm due a baby in 11 woks and would love to try & knit a blanket. Problem is, I haven't held knitting needles in approx 25yrs (yes, an older mum to be here). I was hoping for some advice re what wool type is best for baby & machine washing, what size needles & are there any particular knitting sites that you would recommend with nice patterns for basic knitters... Reckon it'll be a plain & pearl job for me to refresh... Can remember just about that much! Thanks in advance for any tips.

Aran or Double Knit would be best. I've done blankets for my nephew and friends children using patterns I've downloaded from the 'net. But I can't remember where!! Drop me a PM with your e-mail addy and I can send you the patterns. Alternatively, just google 'Baby Blankets' and you should get a slew of nice, easy blankies!

Good luck with the little one!

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I'm due a baby in 11 woks and would love to try & knit a blanket. Problem is, I haven't held knitting needles in approx 25yrs (yes, an older mum to be here). I was hoping for some advice re what wool type is best for baby & machine washing, what size needles & are there any particular knitting sites that you would recommend with nice patterns for basic knitters... Reckon it'll be a plain & pearl job for me to refresh... Can remember just about that much! Thanks in advance for any tips.

I used some Debbie Bliss baby patterns and wool to knit baby blankets for my sis in law and her sister. I took up knitting just to do those blankets and they were very easy. Haven't stopped knitting since.

DK cotton is also great for blankets. I've used King Cole Bamboo as well as Stylecraft DK cotton. Washes beautifully in the machine, keeps colour well and doesn't shrink.

Cotton's great for Spring and Summer babies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Usually baby blankets are 36x36".

If you are using 4mm needles, that could mean a very full needle.

I'd look for a yarn that knits on 5mm or 6mm needles.

If you can use circulars, it will be much easier and more portable (handbags size for endless hospital waiting queues!) , but not essential.

Try use colours that will either match your travel system or your nursery. I've often done a blanket for someone only for them to ask for another one for the travel system.

You could try a colour changing yarn, the colours change you dont have to do anything, just knit.

http://www.artfire.com/uploads/product/3/43/79043/8179043/8179043/large/lords_leaping_three_stripe_sparkle_self_striping_sock_yarn_0d9b025d.jpg

http://knitdivas.com/yarnstore/images/UVYClassicWorstedTapestry_7037.jpg

Not sure how you are with plain and purl, but what about something like this:
    http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/afghans/19thc-baby-blanket.htm

Advertisement