Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 Round Three: China

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Have to say, really enjoyed that race. Fair play to Rosberg! Gutted when Schumacher went off but ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mahna_Mahna

Great race for Nico. He done what Vettel was doing last year. Getting pole and tearing off for the whole race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭lolie

Dont even bother with boring Bahrain, just stay in China for another week

• Registered Users Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭vectra

What in the name of god were Lotus playing at?
    It was obvious Kimi's tyres were shot 12 or more laps from the end. They should have pitted him and gave up second.He would have salvaged some points on new tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

anyone here been to the german gp, we are looking at going there, is the athmosphere as good as silverstone or monaco, we always have camped in silverstone, not camping this time as we would be flying, so cannot carry tent, hope to book it with one of those tour organisers,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭lolie

vectra wrote: »
    What in the name of god were Lotus playing at?
    It was obvious Kimi's tyres were shot 12 or more laps from the end. They should have pitted him and gave up second.He would have salvaged some points on new tyres.

Pretty stupid from lotus alright. As gary anderson said on the forum pitstops should be a living thing.
    Few more laps and same would've happened to vettel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Great race. Its just a pity schumi had that problem. The man has no luck. That race for second was brilliant. Looking forward to the next race in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

Great race, loved seeing Vettel get mauled at the end. I still hate DRS with a passion though, what Lauda says about it here (0:15) is bang on:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Great race, loved seeing Vettel get mauled at the end. I still hate DRS with a passion though, what Lauda says about it here (0:15) is bang on:

This race was another example of how little an effect drs has had on f1. Apart from turkey last year it hasnt been a primary factor in races, the high deg tyres are what provide overtaking and good races.

What is your complaint with drs for this race?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Nothing wrong with DRS. Button was already in process of passing racers right at the DRS line anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Does anyone know any websites where the highlights can be viewed online? I just recently moved to Cyprus and can't get iPlayer or Sky online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭armitage_skanks

Was there a reason Schumi didn't slowly bring the car around to the pits for a new rear tyre?

In years gone by he'd drive back on 3 wheels if that's what it took.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

frostie500 wrote: »
    This race was another example of how little an effect drs has had on f1. Apart from turkey last year it hasnt been a primary factor in races, the high deg tyres are what provide overtaking and good races.

What is your complaint with drs for this race?

My complaint is not just with DRS in this race but with the whole point of it in the first place. You've just made my point, with a combination of the pirelli tyres and kers there is no need for a contrived and restricted performance aid in the form of DRS. Furthermore if the FIA wanted a solution to the lack of passing because of the aerodynamic regulations which they set which have spawned cars that create so much turbulence that the car behind cannot pass then why didn't they just change the regulations to remove this issue instead of taking the easy route of not fixing the root cause of the problem and just fixing the side effect. Seems a little silly to say the least but that's just my opinion which to be honest doesn't matter a damn because as you've pointed out DRS has had little effect when compared to the high deg tyres.

Which brings me to my final point. Consider this: would you have a second liver transplanted in yourself even though you already have a perfectly good working liver? No, of course not because that's absurd. Similarly does formula 1 need DRS and all that goes with it (R+D, money spent etc.)? No because it already has a perfectly good way of increasing the number of passes in a race thanks to the high deg pirelli tyres. DRS is Dumb Restrictive and Superfluous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

My complaint is not just with DRS in this race but with the whole point of it in the first place. You've just made my point, with a combination of the pirelli tyres and kers there is no need for a contrived and restricted performance aid in the form of DRS. Furthermore if the FIA wanted a solution to the lack of passing because of the aerodynamic regulations which they set which have spawned cars that create so much turbulence that the car behind cannot pass then why didn't they just change the regulations to remove this issue instead of taking the easy route of not fixing the root cause of the problem and just fixing the side effect. Seems a little silly to say the least but that's just my opinion which to be honest doesn't matter a damn because as you've pointed out DRS has had little effect when compared to the high deg tyres.

Which brings me to my final point. Consider this: would you have a second liver transplanted in yourself even though you already have a perfectly good working liver? No, of course not because that's absurd. Similarly does formula 1 need DRS and all that goes with it (R+D, money spent etc.)? No because it already has a perfectly good way of increasing the number of passes in a race thanks to the high deg pirelli tyres. DRS is Dumb Restrictive and Superfluous.
    Calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Kevski

Was there a reason Schumi didn't slowly bring the car around to the pits for a new rear tyre?

In years gone by he'd drive back on 3 wheels if that's what it took.

The wheel could easily have come off and hit another driver or people in the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Kevski wrote: »
    The wheel could easily have come off and hit another driver or people in the crowd.

His interview from the pits after his retirement was pure class from the man, who in his earlier career had little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Great race, really enjoyable. Gutted for Schumi, but seeing the two McLarens & Webber pass out the finger kid more than made up for it.

Well done to Rosberg, very dominant showing from start to finish.

Whoever does the strategy for Kimi should be waking up with a horse's head next to him tomorrow. Hopefully Schumacher gets another chance for a podium this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Lotus strategy.

What the ****? Every pitstop shuffled him further down the order, and then they decide 28 laps on a set of soft tyres is grand. Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Rosberg took his first win at his 111th race. Mercedes had their first ever race win 111 years ago http://www.emercedesbenz.com/autos/mercedes-benz/classic/111th-anniversary-of-mercedes-vehicle-competition-success/

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Just had a chance to watch this, great race, exciting stuff and delighted for the Mercedes team, cant wait to see the first Schumi win :) 10 times more exciting than the 2011 season already

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

conzymaher wrote: »
    10 times more exciting than the 2011 season already

It sure is. 3 different drivers and 3 different teams winning so far. After what happened in the season so far, I'm looking forward to the race in Bahrain to see if it throws up another surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Kimi win and Schumi on step 2 would be a nice surprise :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭recyclebin

It's been 2008 since we've seen a race winner outside the big 4 (redbull, mclaren, ferrari and mercedes) and that was Vettel in a Toro Rosso.

I'd like to see one of the smaller teams get a win sooner or later.

I hope qualifying in Bahrain is as close as China as you couldn't predict anything as they were all so close trying to get into the top 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

recyclebin wrote: »
    It's been 2008 since we've seen a race winner outside the big 4 (redbull, mclaren, ferrari and mercedes) and that was Vettel in a Toro Rosso.

Rob Kubica should be on that list too *pushes up F1 nerd glasses*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Would love to see a sauber win this season.

Advertisement