Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

The take-away in Mountview was robbed last night. Pure scum that do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Huntstown Newsagent and Pharmacy were broken into during the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    The take-away in Mountview was robbed last night. Pure scum that do this.
    Chungs !!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Late last week - Thursday I think - I was out and about and there was a red Ford Transit van driving around the Deerpark/Castleknock Green/Pecks Lane part of Castleknock. Now there's nothing unusual about a van driving around and I'm the last person you could call a "curtain twitcher" - but I saw this van drive slowly around the same streets again and again for over an hour.

Be vigilant people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Late last week - Thursday I think - I was out and about and there was a red Ford Transit van driving around the Deerpark/Castleknock Green/Pecks Lane part of Castleknock. Now there's nothing unusual about a van driving around and I'm the last person you could call a "curtain twitcher" - but I saw this van drive slowly around the same streets again and again for over an hour.

Be vigilant people.

I live around that area. A few weeks ago (maybe 2 months??) I was coming home from work around 6am and I saw a dark red van on Pecks Lane driving very slowly around the Park Villas/Stockton roads. I tried to drive up closer to it to see the reg but it seemed to drive off quickly as I started to catch up. I'm a bit worried now. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I live around that area. A few weeks ago (maybe 2 months??) I was coming home from work around 6am and I saw a dark red van on Pecks Lane driving very slowly around the Park Villas/Stockton roads. I tried to drive up closer to it to see the reg but it seemed to drive off quickly as I started to catch up. I'm a bit worried now. :(

If people see a van or car acting suspiciously, try and make it obvious to the driver/passenger that you are noting their reg. Even mimic typing it into your phone or whatever. Just let them know you've noticed them

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭travist

It's a pity Fianna Fail pissed away all our money, could have had a few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

At 1am last night was walking up, the ambulance and fire brigade came from that direction. A few minutes later i saw the garda helicopter hovering over that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nomesc

Be sure to report anything suspecious to the Gardaí. They say if it seems odd or suspecious it most likely is. They can't do anything if they don't know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

I was off work last Thursday (15/03), and when it was pouring rain for a while, a knock came at my door during (such a poorly constructed sentence). An auld lad who I had never seen before asked me if I wanted my windows washed when the weather picked up. I said I was good and he went on his way. He knocked into all the houses on my road as far as I could see up anyway. Didn't see any bike with a ladder slung across it or a van or anything.

Could've been harmless, could've been casing houses. He was an auld lad, early 50's, little below average height, gold stud earring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Window washers calling is unusual though? They generally get a load of bookings a few days or a week before bring their gear around. Not to say it couldn't be used as a cover. But itself its not unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

From the Dublin People Twitter feed (@dublinpeople)
    Barnardos has issued warning about bogus door-to-door fundraisers operating in Clontarf, Castleknock and Coolmine. Please RT.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

one of them must seep in the clouds above clonsilla, i hear it almost every other night. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭daymobrew

A friend in Inglewood was broken into yesterday afternoon. Entered by patio door.
    Guy was caught my a neighbour. The burgular said that he targetted their home because no car out front and no alarm.

Zwillinge wrote: »
    From the Dublin People Twitter feed (@dublinpeople)
    Barnardos has issued warning about bogus door-to-door fundraisers operating in Clontarf, Castleknock and Coolmine. Please RT.

I rang Barnardos to confirm the Dublin People tweet, as there was no mention of the warning on the Barnardos web site.

They emailed me the press release. It includes the following item:

A legitimate Barnardos door-to-door direct debit fundraiser will:
    • Never ask for cash at the door
    • Always provide official direct debit mandates to the values of €12/€15/€21 per month
    • Wear a green Barnardos t-shirt (or a white t-shirt with a Barnardos 50 Years logo)
    • Have a folder with information on Barnardos
    • Have photo ID around their necks which should be on display

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

daymobrew wrote: »
    A friend in Inglewood was broken into yesterday afternoon. Entered by patio door.
    Guy was caught my a neighbour. The burgular said that he targetted their home because no car out front and no alarm.

Well I hope the burglar learns his lesson after his 3 month suspended sentence is completed!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Well I hope the burglar learns his lesson after his 3 month suspended sentence is completed!

Just looked at your location CR. Have you something to tell us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

The burgular said that he targetted their home "because no car out front and no alarm"

Their interviewing burglars now!!! ide be giving them stone cold stunners :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The burgular said that he targetted their home "because no car out front and no alarm"

Their interviewing burglars now!!! ide be giving them stone cold stunners :eek:

Probably offered him a cup of tea and a sandwich, whilst they passed the time until the Gards arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

BostonB wrote: »
    Window washers calling is unusual though? They generally get a load of bookings a few days or a week before bring their gear around. Not to say it couldn't be used as a cover. But itself its not unusual.

A window washer hasn't called around my way in years. At least while I've been at home anyway. Could've been totally legit, like. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭canihave

Break-in in The Village Porterstown last night at approx 8.30. There was 4 men, went in the front door (1 stayed in garden keeping watch). They were disturbed by neighbours and in there very Dublin accent told the others to hurry the f**k up. Driving a beige coloured bigish car. Needless to say went for the gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Puzzled as to why the front door in some cases? quicker get-away sure ....but surly more noticeable

gjc wrote: »
    Puzzled as to why the front door in some cases? quicker get-away sure ....but surly more noticeable

They don't fear any enforcement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

There aren't enough garda cars for the whole area so the response times aren't great to begin with and then a breakin will be bumped down the list of priorities once they have fled.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Probably offered him a cup of tea and a sandwich, whilst they passed the time until the Gards arrived.
    :)
    The "interview" was done by the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 foots

god i live in littlepace and saw the commotion and the police forensics and we all assumed it was a domestic that involved friends/relatives in pheasants run as it was never mentioned on news etc, i am shocked now.

you need to be so careful, i live in littlepace and during the summer had 3 attempted break in's within space of 1 week, police said it was most likely same person/s who wanted hubbies car (audi) so we upped our security so nothing since, happy days:) but then this morning i woke to car (I never locked oops) ransacked, they got very little bit of cash, but my problem is, how often do they check every car as it is always locked bit of a coincidence. I am really annoyed as i love where i live but very downhearted that someone is watching all the time, hate that we all have to soooo vigilant. :mad:

They probably try all the car doors on their route where ever they are. Its just habit to them. So it should be habit to lock them. I'd assume its the same in any city or urban environment.

I think you can get car systems that close/lock themselves after a set period of time.

I am so vigilant normally, one of my children had an incident and I had to get him medication fast so exited car in a panic, think that's why I am so annoyed, the one time I don't lock it, but your right prob just a natter if habit to them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 brianodub

foots wrote: »
    you need to be so careful, i live in littlepace and during the summer had 3 attempted break in's within space of 1 week, police said it was most likely same person/s who wanted hubbies car (audi) so we upped our security so nothing since, happy days:) but then this morning i woke to car (I never locked oops) ransacked, they got very little bit of cash, but my problem is, how often do they check every car as it is always locked bit of a coincidence. I am really annoyed as i love where i live but very downhearted that someone is watching all the time, hate that we all have to soooo vigilant. :mad:

I live in Hazelbury and my wifes car was ransacked last night too. Nothing valuable in it. She's also pretty sure she forgot to lock it.
    I'm sure they got into the back garden too.

2 weeks ago i had a bike stolen from the back garden.

Such a pain in the hole. Makes me want to move

Advertisement