Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upset over vet's comment

• 05-03-2012 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

I brought my Mini Schnauzer (7 months) over to the vets today to get his stitches from his neutering out. I thought it was strange that the vet said I didn't need to go in. Next thing I hear Chewie whimpering loudly 3 or 4 times.The vet then walks out and tells me I need to get him trained properly as he bit the vet assisstant:eek: I was in such shock that I just went home without saying anything. Chewie has never growled or bit me or my son. He would lick you to death. I'm very upset as the vet said this infront of 3 or 4 people in the waiting room that had been rubbing him before he went in. I rang them and spoke to the vet assistant who said not to worry he was just agitated. They said they usually don't bring the owners in when stitches are being taking out as it's easier for the Vet Assistant to hold the dog. I feel Chewie would have been much happier if I was there. Am I over-reacting here? I'm seriously considering changing vets.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Do not be upset, just change your vet.

My vet always lets me go in with my pets whenever they are being treated. He believes it reasures the animal to have the owner there.

Last time I took my Yorkshire Terrier in he went to bite the assistant, only because he was nervous. The assistant told me not to worry, it was just part of the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Mo60 wrote: »

My vet always lets me go in with my pets whenever they are being treated. He believes it reasures the animal to have the owner there.

Last time I took my Yorkshire Terrier in he went to bite the assistant, only because he was nervous. The assistant told me not to worry, it was just part of the job.

Thanks Mo60
    They've done a couple of other things that kinda annoyed me over the past while but this was the final straw. Poor Chewie they must have been rough with him judging by the screams of him:(:( Just wish I insisted on going in with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Mo60 wrote: »

+1 I don't think he should have asked you to wait outside. Going to the vet gets a whole lot scarier when the owner isn't there. If it happens again just say he's nervous and you'd prefer to be there.

I'd change vet. Even if he was right to say something to you about Chewie nipping (and I don't think he was) he shouldn't have spoken to you like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SpyderCats

Hi :) I think you have every right to be upset with the vet as it was extremely unprofessional of them to say anything to you about your dog in front of anyone else and I don't think that it is unusual for a dog or any animal to bite when in pain or distress. You would think a vet of all people would know this. If I were you I would without a doubt change vets. Maybe someone on here could recommend a good vet in your area. Where do you live?

Thanks guys
    I thought it was odd too. They should be used to animals nipping etc. He has been going to this vet since I got him. She has remarked before on what a sweetheart he is. Dunno if she was having a bad day or whatever but no excuse to take it out on my puppy:mad: I'm definitely not bringing him back there but am going over in the morning to tell them I found this extremely unprofessional. I'm in the Dublin 7 area if anyone can give me a recommendation? PM me if you don't want to say the name on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I have a bit of a different view on this. From experience sometimes owners can actually make things worse, if there's a wimpy (apologies for lack of a better word) dog in the dog can actually play it up sometimes in front of the owner, sometimes just by the owner simply being within view and sometimes by the owner comforting the dog 'ah the nasty vet will soon be finished' sort of thing. Getting stitches out can nip them sometimes, no harsh handling needed, some dogs just have lower pain thresholds and some are just more likely to complain about it. The vet could've been saying it just to warn yourself that he has bitten or nipped someone, I agree he/she wasn't very tactful about it and could've gone about it better.

If apart from this your happy with your vet I wouldn't change just based on this. A lot goes on behind the scenes and generally vets (and nurses) are usually run off their feet and stressed to the eyeballs trying to juggle tasks and keep everyone happy. Everyone has bad days.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    I have a bit of a different view on this. From experience sometimes owners can actually make things worse, if there's a wimpy (apologies for lack of a better word) dog in the dog can actually play it up sometimes in front of the owner, sometimes just by the owner simply being within view and sometimes by the owner comforting the dog 'ah the nasty vet will soon be finished' sort of thing. Getting stitches out can nip them sometimes, no harsh handling needed, some dogs just have lower pain thresholds and some are just more likely to complain about it. The vet could've been saying it just to warn yourself that he has bitten or nipped someone, I agree he/she wasn't very tactful about it and could've gone about it better.

If apart from this your happy with your vet I wouldn't change just based on this. A lot goes on behind the scenes and generally vets (and nurses) are usually run off their feet and stressed to the eyeballs trying to juggle tasks and keep everyone happy. Everyone has bad days.

Totally get this point of view but there has been a few other things they have done or not done that had bothered me too. Not to mention they are more expensive than other vets. He was only in with them last week for a check up on the stitches and he had his 2 paws round my neck with his head buried into me. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I agree with Zapperzy about the owner being out of the room with delicate procedures being preformed- my dog acts up if I'm there but is good as gold when I'm not.

However, the vet really shouldn't have said that. Very unprofessional. Vets and Vet Assistants should be able to handle an animal properly so that the animal is restrained with as little distress as possible. Your dog shouldn't have had the opportunity to bite, and even if he did, it's part of the job. It has little to do with training.

I would definitely be changing vets if mine said this to me, without a shadow of a doubt.

I agree with Zapperzy about the owner being out of the room with delicate procedures being preformed- my dog acts up if I'm there but is good as gold when I'm not.

However, the vet really shouldn't have said that. Very unprofessional. Vets and Vet Assistants should be able to handle an animal properly so that the animal is restrained with as little distress as possible. Your dog shouldn't have had the opportunity to bite, and even if he did, it's part of the job. It has little to do with training.

I would definitely be changing vets if mine said this to me, without a shadow of a doubt.

Think what really bothered me was there was a kid of 9 or 10 and a few other people rubbing him before he went in that were still there when the vet said it (loudly) to me. This is a local vets so I'm sure some of these people would see me out walking him and now think he's vicious:(
    I explained to her that he used to nip me when he was a tiny pup but I had stopped this and he had never looked at me sideways let alone bite me since but she insisted he needs to be trained:mad: Am looking into classes anyway but nothing to do with him biting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Another angle on this is that vets can be held liable if an animal injures its owner during veterinary examination or treatment. Because of this vets can be reluctant to allow owners hold pets during treatment, especially if they think the animal is likely to bite in the circumstances.

That said, the vet wasn't very tactful and you should change if your'e not happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Vets and Vet Assistants should be able to handle an animal properly so that the animal is restrained with as little distress as possible. Your dog shouldn't have had the opportunity to bite, and even if he did, it's part of the job. It has little to do with training.

This.
    Just to add when I read the first post I was a little :eek: until I read down and seen your in Dublin, I got nipped today by a mini schnauzer while pulling a bandage off, lucky he had good bit control as he wrapped his mouth around my hand but didn't bite down enough to break skin. Completely 100% my fault and wouldn't even complain about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Think what really bothered me was there was a kid of 9 or 10 and a few other people rubbing him before he went in that were still there when the vet said it (loudly) to me. This is a local vets so I'm sure some of these people would see me out walking him and now think he's vicious:(
    I explained to her that he used to nip me when he was a tiny pup but I had stopped this and he had never looked at me sideways let alone bite me since but she insisted he needs to be trained:mad: Am looking into classes anyway but nothing to do with him biting.

Ziggy23, don't take it to heart too much. Did he break skin or was it just a nip? I doubt it was anything more than a nip. He's a pup, he was scared and didn't know what was going on. Plus, it was probably uncomfortable for him.

If you're bringing him to training classes, great! But to relax him for future examinations, the main thing to focus on is get him used to being handled every which way. Every day, spend a couple of minutes looking at his teeth, touching him where you wouldn't normally, especially his back legs and paws, and checking his ears. If family and friends come over, get them to do the same so it's not just you doing it. Don't make a big deal out of it, you want it to be as normal as possible for him to be gently examined. Make it part of play, or reward him afterwards, but just a couple of minutes a day makes all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Go Chewie. Hope he gets the vet next time and not the assistant. He sounds like an ignorant ****er.

Ziggy23, don't take it to heart too much. Did he break skin or was it just a nip? I doubt it was anything more than a nip. He's a pup, he was scared and didn't know what was going on. Plus, it was probably uncomfortable for him.

If you're bringing him to training classes, great! But to relax him for future examinations, the main thing to focus on is get him used to being handled every which way. Every day, spend a couple of minutes looking at his teeth, touching him where you wouldn't normally, especially his back legs and paws, and checking his ears. If family and friends come over, get them to do the same so it's not just you doing it. Don't make a big deal out of it, you want it to be as normal as possible for him to be gently examined. Make it part of play, or reward him afterwards, but just a couple of minutes a day makes all the difference.

Don't think he even broke skin just nipped. This is the weird thing I'm always cutting his eyebrows,nails, hair around his feet and cleaning his ears etc as I did a grooming course myself. He is a bit of a moaner but has never gone to bite me. He is fine once he is reassured. I think he was obviously in pain getting the stitches out. Don't get me wrong even if the vet took me aside and told me that he nipped the assistant and to just keep an eye on it that wouldn't be too bad but the way she said it u'd swear I'd a vicious dog on my hands:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Friel

Being a vet has to be just as much a hobby as it is a job. Some vets just see it as a job and take no care with the animals. Could of been the case. I'd switch vets, and let them know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

I had to bring mine to the vets twice as she dislocated her tail the 1st time then boke it the 2nd time. Both times to the same vet. The 1st time he was feeling it without numbing her tail 1st to see where it was dislodged. Needless to say she clamped onto his arm and didn't let go. She is not vicious at all. The wife was with her and she had asked the vet was he not going to numb her 1st and he said no she would be alright so you see why it happened.

She didn't break skin as she was just warning him and the vet accepted he was wrong to try it with no numbing. If the qwife was not there with her I think she would have been very very nervous. Myself or my wife always go in with our dogs if they are going up on the table to be looked at. I would feel bad giving them to a vet unless they were being knocked out for operation.

OP your vet is very unprofessional to say it to you in front of other people and also as this isn't the 1st instance of not being good at his job it is best you change vets. I think a good vet is someone who is gentle with the animals and not rough like they are just a job and not a living thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

ziggy, which vet in Cabra was it, PM me the name because I don't think you can mention it here, if it's a diff vet I know the name of one which could help...

BTW Ziggy Our boy is called Ziggy too :) Our male dog I mean not son :D

BTW Ziggy Our boy is called Ziggy too :) Our male dog I mean not son :D

That was my cat's name she passed away last November...sob:(

ziggy23 wrote: »
    That was my cat's name she passed away last November...sob:(

Aww no im sorry I know its heart breaking when you loose a pet :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

I'd definitely change vets if I was uncomfortable in any way with what they did or said.

My girl growled at the vet (a couple of times) last time she was there.
    Neither he nor the assistant reacted in any way other than to reassure her that it was ok and she was a very good girl.

As I walked into the exam room with her, the vet was looking over her medical records. She is a rescue who's behavioral analysis indicated abuse etc.

The vet clearly understood this and coupled with her pain and stress did everything he could to make it as pleasant for her as possible (including a large helping of treats)

Im glad you have a rescue :). Bugs the sh!t out of me when people buy dogs because they either want a puppy and then loose the head when it starts to chew the furniture etc or they want to buy a pure breed. I was a member of the SPCA for years and we fostered and homed loads of dogs and I have rescues myself 3 to be exact, used to be 4 but the little fella got out without us knowing and the unthinkable happened :(.

Vets that understand not all dogs are happy and may be nervous and may snap because of past issues are good vets. well good natured vets anyway I only hope they are good at their job too :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Sorry OP but posts like this really bug me. People like myself who are breed specific dogs are trying to maintain a healthy line of dog owners, hence we support good breeders in their endevour to keep a breed in a good healthy state.

Don't tar everyone with the same brush. Those who buy puppies who chew on furniture are no different from those who rescue puppies who chew on furniture.

This holier than thou attitude in this forum is getting very tiring.

Im glad you have a rescue :). Bugs the sh!t out of me when people buy dogs because they either want a puppy and then loose the head when it starts to chew the furniture etc or they want to buy a pure breed. I was a member of the SPCA for years and we fostered and homed loads of dogs and I have rescues myself 3 to be exact, used to be 4 but the little fella got out without us knowing and the unthinkable happened :(.

Vets that understand not all dogs are happy and may be nervous and may snap because of past issues are good vets. well good natured vets anyway I only hope they are good at their job too :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Sorry OP but posts like this really bug me. People like myself who are breed specific dogs are trying to maintain a healthy line of dog owners, hence we support good breeders in their endevour to keep a breed in a good healthy state.

Don't tar everyone with the same brush. Those who buy puppies who chew on furniture are no different from those who rescue puppies who chew on furniture.

Agreed, pups are pups, and act accordingly. Also people who research carefully the type of dog that suits their family, buy from reputable breeder and are aware of the ramifications of a pup entering a home are NOT the reason the pounds are filled to overflowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

really cant see why your vet wouldnt allow you in. all my dogs when they have had stitches usually through spaying has never even flinched when getting them removed. its a procedure that takes seconds so i would have thouight your vet would rather you there than not. as others said change vet would not be happy been spoke like this in front of others. my opinion if your vet has no manners where humans are concerened i would deffo be questioning is manner for pets

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

OP i just cant believe your vet actually said that to you and he told you it was better for you not to go in! Maybe its just my vet, but i go in every time with my girl, for check ups, stitches out after spaying, the dog is obviously more happy and content and less stressed with you there...

I can only go with everyone elses comments and say get rid of that vet straight away

Bullseye1 wrote: »

I can only assume your post is directed at me but im not the opening poster. I didn't say people who take in rescue pups or those who buy them are any different. What I meant was some people who want a puppy will buy 1 because they don't one from a rescue because it may have been mistreated and is nervous etc. They want one thats happy and of course its expected that they chew the furniture but il give you an example of someone who shouldn't have a puppy or a dog for that fact.

We homed a puppy to a Polish couple and as usual its a novelty at the start, bringing it for walks , playing with it etc. But then after a few weeks the pup started to chew the furniture and the husband left his passport on the chair within reach of the puppy. He came home, saw his passport in pieces and he kicked the dog so hard he broke its rib. We took the puppy back and never homed a dog to them again even though they asked us for one.

I personally am not a fan of breeding as I feel people should give dogs in pounds a go as they ca be just as loyal and loving. I have dealth with hundred's of rescues and we found them all homes and the owners said they would never buy a dog again, they would get a rescue as its more fulfilling and you get a sense of actually helping an animals not just buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Definetly change your vet. Enquire from the next vet if you will be allowed in when injections etc are being done.

Agreed, pups are pups, and act accordingly. Also people who research carefully the type of dog that suits their family, buy from reputable breeder and are aware of the ramifications of a pup entering a home are NOT the reason the pounds are filled to overflowing.

And there are those who don't research what type of dog suits their family. They just want a dog and think of that one looks nice and fluffy lets get that. Not all think like that but some would. They don't think of if the dog will be too strong for the child when it grows up or if they are going to have to follow it around with a hoover when its molting.

The reason the pounds are overflowing is because more and more people can't care for their dogs so they just dump them somewhere. They don't hand them into the SPCA. Also its because people want to buy a cute cuddly dog instead of going to the pound to save one that may be a few hours away from death. That is what really bugs me. That is the bottom line. Buy a puppy/dog/cat or go to the pound and save 1,2,3,4,5,6, whatever you want from certain death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

The reason the pounds are overflowing is because more and more people can't WON'T care for their dogs so they just dump them somewhere.

This is the reason they pounds are over-flowing, not because people want a certain type of dog. The pounds are full of mutts and pure-bred dogs: over-breeding is rife, also the ridiculous lack of neutering and spaying of dogs across the board is cause for the number of unwanted dogs in this country. Blaming people who research the right breed for their family and choose accordingly is a cop out, in my personal view, and unhelpful.

Advertisement