Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 and want to be a British soap actress when I'm older

• 19-02-2011 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

I've always wanted to become an actress(preferably soap) I'm 16 and doinbg my Junior Cert(GCSES). Once I leave school,I want to go to college,get a degree in drama and then hopefully go onto study at acting schools like RADA or Guildhall acting school parhaps. I think I have got what it takes,but obviously no soap will take you on without training. I'd love to be in a soap,but I realise I need experience.
    I've been thinking about taking a Summer course in the Gaiety Theatre School Of Acting in Dublin. I just wanted to know has anyone ever been there,is it any good and would it help me build up some acting skills(I've had no acting training before).
    Also,next year will be TY and I'm still debating over whether to do it or go onto 5th year. I'm aware in TY,there's a play. Would I be wise to audition for the lead role/some type of role in that play as it would give me some experience.
    And yes,I do realise that I should not pin all my hopes and dreams on having an acting career,and I do have another few plans in the pipe-line in case this does not work out :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭pooch90

What ever you decide to do regarding the acting: Finish School!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

I wouldn't do ty for the sake of a play, finish your education most importantly, at least you'll have something to fall back on, with regards to experience, sign up to a local theatre group or drama class, after a while when your confident with the acting send some photos to agencies in dublin etc with an invitation to attend one of your plays, if your good they might sign you, everyone must start somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'd highly recommend doing either a summer course or and after school course at the Gaeity School of Acting - I was a part of the Gaeity for my final 3 years of school and it has really stood to me. I decided to go down a different route when I was in college, so I left the acting to one side for awhile, but while I was in college I was the lead in a play and had a small part in a short movie. Recently, I've decided to get back into acting and I've a few projects in the pipeline at the moment - I've also been doing stand-up comedy for a year (and that's basically acting) and I'm becoming quite successful and making some decent money on the comedy scene.
    Your best bet is to do as much acting as possible now, whether it be school plays, a theatre group or doing stuff with the Gaeity School of Acting or other group, because all experience is good experience.
    Also check out www.filmmakersnetwork.ie because there's always people there looking for casts for short films etc - usually its unpaid work, but the experience is good.
    And my final piece of advice - the only reason to work as an extra is if you need the cash or have never been on a film/tv set before and really want to see how it works. You can't use extra work for your CV, so it doesn't offer much in regards to climbing up the acting ladder.

All the best with it, but yeah stay in school - it's important.

Advertisement