Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dtt/terrestrial setup

• 06-08-2010 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

hi,
    looking for a bit of help in setting up a tv system in my house. whats the best way currently to go? we currently have sky on 2 tvs via a sky eye but want to be able to have channels on all tvs in house (approx 5 in total)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

You'll need to either put up aerial(s) to receive terrestrial channels or put FREESAT/FTA receivers in other rooms.

You can send the aerial signal(s) down your existing cables with the eyes on them or add more eyes too.

It's an easy enough job really!!!!!

All depends on what channels you want in these rooms, ie. RTE, BBC etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 suse103

Hiya , assuming you want free FTA TV ,you could change the LNB on the satellite dish to an octo which will give you eight separate feeds approx 30 euro ebay.Install an aerial on your roof for DTT if you already dont have one and have the installer fit all the new cable feeds for both the sat and dtt . Check to see if any of your tv's are DTT compatable and if not purchace some sat/dtt combo boxes or just DTT for the two existing points.You could do this in stages to limit the cost as box prices will fall after launch.Costs are appox 20 Euro each extra feed , 100 to 150 Set top boxes , 150 Aerial install.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

rte and bbcs etc would be enough main reason is if some one is watching sky on one of the two tvs sky is available at the other could watch something different (only one sky box) and also to give a few channels to other tvs in house

That's easy enough done provided that you can get BBC's through aerial in your area.

Quite straight forward.

Aerial(s), amps, link amplifiers required but easy enought o setup provided adequate cabling there or new cabling can be run in

so digital aerial on roof cable into attic distribution amp then out to all the tvs?dont want sky on all just the 2 main tvs but want every tv supplied from aerial

• Advertisement

Can be done either way yeah. you copuld have it that the sky is available all over but just dont tune it in ie. to stop kids watching etc.

Can be done either way yeah. you copuld have it that the sky is available all over but just dont tune it in ie. to stop kids watching etc.

would need sky eyes everywhere then though for control ya? or just watch whatever channel the sky box is set too. think id go for aerial feed only too rooms i guess u would still need sky eyes to contol fta unless u took seperate feeds from lnb and have decoders.
    can sky dish do both?

sorry for all the questions just trying to figure the best way out

would need sky eyes everywhere then though for control ya? or just watch whatever channel the sky box is set too. think id go for aerial feed only too rooms i guess u would still need sky eyes to contol fta unless u took seperate feeds from lnb and have decoders.
    can sky dish do both?

sorry for all the questions just trying to figure the best way out

If you want to control the sky box from other rooms then you'll need eyes in those rooms, they don't cost that much really, and you'd already need an amp anyway so...!!!!

You could run just aerial channels to the rooms and run a satellite cable again if you wanted and add a free to air/freesat receiver to that room.

Choices are endless and so long as you can run in new cables you can do what you want

ok great stuff thanks for all your help :)

can i use the same dish to get both fta and sky?? also if i had fta decoder in attic could i use output from that to feed into an amp and have free to air on many tvs using sky eyes for control? i know we would have to watch same channel like with sky due to only 1 decoder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

Yes same dish just pull out your viewing card and the channels your left with are your fta channels.

ya but will splitting the feed from the lnb work for both sky and fta?? would like to have both

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need a multi-output LNB such as a Quad. You can't "split" the Freesat /Sky signal otherwise.

so just replace the lnb and pull out another cable for the fta

Advertisement