Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Outlook Express - Setting up an undisclosed recipients group

Options
  • 26-02-2015 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

I want to send an email to person A and CC other people

I want Person A to see the names (but not email addresses) of other people that I have CC'd

How can I do this in Outlook Express?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭28064212

You can't. If you have to have the names, the simplest workaround would be to BCC the recipients, and start the email with:
    Hi John, Mary, Michael, Jane...
    (or similar)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

vicwatson wrote: »
    I want to send an email to person A and CC other people

I want Person A to see the names (but not email addresses) of other people that I have CC'd

How can I do this in Outlook Express?

By the very nature of email you cannot do this. You could send a mass email with everyone in BCC, but in that way they will only see their email address, or any you include publically in CC.
    The only workaround would be to make a list of Names and include them in the email body itself.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

As mentioned above the BCC is the answer.

I use that method but I have a contact setup in my address book called Undisclosed Recipients so when I want to use it I just open a new mail Msg to Undisclosed recipients. and any address you want undisclosed goes in the BCC: section and any you might want disclosed go in the CC section.

Just make sure you have the BCC: header enabled, I think it might not be by default in Outlook Express. To enable it do the following,

1. Open a new Outlook Express mail Msg

2. Click on the "View" Tab

3. Click on "All Headers"

Setup your new Address Book entry like so

2a9yyl4.jpg

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thank you all.

As an aside, can you tell me.....

I have a failing laptop and really need to get my outlook express emails off it in case it goes wallop soon.......

Can you please advise how I can get them off to an external hard drive? or is there a website that will give me a walkthrough on how to do this?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

^^^^^
    Bump :o

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks v much. Will this mean that when I back them up I can only ever reintroduce them to outlook express in the future ? So if I buy new computer it will prob have win 10 or the likes... Will I be able to recover my messages to the new Ms email program?? Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

vicwatson wrote: »
    Thanks v much. Will this mean that when I back them up I can only ever reintroduce them to outlook express in the future ? So if I buy new computer it will prob have win 10 or the likes... Will I be able to recover my messages to the new Ms email program?? Tks

You should install outlook on that machine, import everything from Outlook Express into Outlook. Once done you will have all your email & settings in one pst file and that's all you ever need to backup for future use. If you do ever get a new machine you only have one file to copy over and point Outlook to it and away you go.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

Post version of Windows XP doesn't support DBX file. In this situation, there is a need to convert DBX file into PST file. PST file is compatible with all versions of Windows PC including Windows 10.

After converting DBX file into PST format, you can import PST file into MS Outlook. Then, you would be able to resume your work in newer Outlook email application.

• Advertisement
Advertisement