Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil level top up accident

• 31-01-2014 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

hey, call me crazy but got a blinder today and topped up my honda civic 04 engine oil with used cooking oil!

ok, details... 1.4 IMA engine (hybrid) was always "eating" oil, have to top it up every 2-3 month. today I checked the level and and deepstick was dry, completely. So by mistake I took wrong motor oil container and poured in about 100-150ml before realising something is wrong. Then I topped up about 1.5L of semi synthetic oil which I always use for this car.
    Engine runs as always (drove 5km after that).... but I am unsure if I have to drain and change the oil ASAP?

what do you think?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ah come on. You keep cooking oil in a motor oil bottle?

Please don't drive the car if you have done that.
    Drain, flush and put new oil in ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Mmm, smells like donuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Why would you drive it ?

Oil refill is 20e max new engine is over a grand, like cmon seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Might be a good time to have it chipped?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

2-3 months driving doesn't sound like eating oil...depends on mileage though.

I have no sympathy for people who cause damage by not keeping an eye on oil levels. Should be checked weekly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Why is the op even considering not changing. The good oil obviously has completly different properties such as; viscosity, boiling point etc. however what more worrying is that if it's used oil the there will be food particles in it. Just change the oil an oil and filter doesn't cost that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

gruby wrote: »
    hey, call me crazy but got a blinder today and topped up my honda civic 04 engine oil with used cooking oil!

ok, details... 1.4 IMA engine (hybrid) was always "eating" oil, have to top it up every 2-3 month. today I checked the level and and deepstick was dry, completely. So by mistake I took wrong motor oil container and poured in about 100-150ml before realising something is wrong. Then I topped up about 1.5L of semi synthetic oil which I always use for this car.
    Engine runs as always (drove 5km after that).... but I am unsure if I have to drain and change the oil ASAP?

what do you think?

That engine takes 3.2 l, if your not taking the piss here, I'd say that car is going to start making noises like cutlery in a washing machine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭dmc17

I used a fully synthetic engine oil in my deep fryer today. Not the best chips I've eaten! Must be why they develop different oils for different applications. Probably best to change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

your pistons will be crisp and dry....change your oil

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gruby

wow, amazed with number of replies! no piss taken here, I actually service my cars for 10+ years, never had a problem...
    car chipping = tuning?
    3.2L sounds about right but the thing here is that dry deep stick doesn't mean I ran out of oil completely.. topping with 1L only brings the level into "green zone".
    I hope that my honda's engine will forgive such a glitch, will change the oil straight away tomorrow!
    thanks participants!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Home fully the engine doesn't get too battered

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

gruby wrote: »
    wow, amazed with number of replies! no piss taken here, I actually service my cars for 10+ years, never had a problem...
    car chipping = tuning?
    3.2L sounds about right but the thing here is that dry deep stick doesn't mean I ran out of oil completely.. topping with 1L only brings the level into "green zone".
    I hope that my honda's engine will forgive such a glitch, will change the oil straight away tomorrow!
    thanks participants!
    Well you mustn't be servicing your cars often enough if they are "eating oil" and the dipstick is going dry.

Also if your servicing your cars for the past ten years you should no better than to drive them on used cooking oil!!:pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

When was this? Fryday?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would go so far as to do a whole oil flush. Who knows what's inside used cooking oil and what will get stuck inside the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

biko wrote: »
    I would go so far as to do a whole oil flush. Who knows what's inside used cooking oil and what will get stuck inside the engine.

Is say it would burn off I think it evaporates at below 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gruby

**UPDATE**
    this morning bought Engine Tune Up and Flush from local car parts shop ( says on the tin that removes chips and onion rings particles from the engine :))
    Poured it in, reved the engine for 20 min
    Changed oil and filer
    Started the car - surprise - "check engine" light....
    got my trusty OBD-II scanner - 5 error codes!!!, where x4 are vendor specific and one says System Too Rich (P0172)
    cleared errors, so far no issues, car runs as usuall, I hope worries should be over...

Advertisement