Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW 4 Series

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

Never mind the 4 series, the hell is this?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/318-D-LU/37113801949507890/advert?channel=CARS

A 3 series GT? Since when did these exist?

A 1.9 Diesel 'GT' car ?

Aston Martin must be kicking themselves that they didn't think of that first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

So, if the 4 series is the coupe version of the 3 series then the 2 SERIES must be the coupe version of the 1 series.

Yep, 2 Series replaces the old 1 Series Coupe/cabrio which was based on the first generation 1 Series. The 2 Series is based on the current 1 Series.

To add more confusion there is a new 4 Series Gran Coupe being launched also which will have 4 doors. Similar idea to the 6 Series Gran Coupe.

2013-bmw-4-series-gran-co_800x0w-655x491.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

They're going a bit mad with all these "new" models in their line up.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Yeah I appreciate this, but when I hear about these cars and their "cheap running costs" its like a red flag to a bull at this stage, the running costs if you are talking tax and fuel are cheap yes, the serious costs like depreciation and interest (if applicable) are not. They are vastly more expensive to own for the first few years than say a 2005, 645 or 745... Yet the ones driving these actual flagship cruisers, with their outrageous motor tax :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:: are the lunatics...

Likewise the poster complaining about the emissions based 335 motor tax rate, comparing the CC to emissions based. I drive a 325ci, believe me I can sure as hell afford a "cheap tax" car, even a bmw if I want one, here comes to problem though, it wont be the one I want, i.e a decent 6 pot, m sport, good spec etc, I think people want to have their cake and eat it...

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10727&page=1238 (my username on it is beaumont by the way)

Well they would obviously rather pay more in depreciation etc and have a newer car than pay it in running costs.

In any case you are not comparing like with like. The person who buys a new 420d is not the person who buys a 2004 645ci so there is no point in trying to compare.

Also when I said prestigious I wasn't comparing a 420d to a new 645i, I said they wanted a new prestigious car, i.e. they don't want a new kia or a new ford they want something a bit special and to be honest when new the 645i was obviously a much higher class of car that a 420d but a new 420d would turn my head a lot more than a 2004 645i would now (nearly 10 years old now).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Well they would obviously rather pay more in depreciation etc and have a newer car than pay it in running costs.

In any case you are not comparing like with like. The person who buys a new 420d is not the person who buys a 2004 645ci so there is no point in trying to compare.

Also when I said prestigious I wasn't comparing a 420d to a new 645i, I said they wanted a new prestigious car, i.e. they don't want a new kia or a new ford they want something a bit special and to be honest when new the 645i was obviously a much higher class of car that a 420d but a new 420d would turn my head a lot more than a 2004 645i would now (nearly 10 years old now).

To be fair, the only thing special about a 420d is the drivetrain being RWD and the badge saying BMW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I agree with you about the relativity in prestige, i.e. it certainly is compared to your run of the mill makes. I agree also on the 4 v the 6, they would turn my head for different reasons, BUT the 6 is a different class of car in my opinion, age of car aside...

Advertisement