Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Separate threads for film & TV
    Fysh wrote: »
    Clouds Of Sils Maria
    I'm not sure what to make of this.... I'm honestly a bit perplexed at how much praise this got on release.

Completely agree. I actually didn't finish it, lost interest. It just didn't seem to be going anywhere quick enough. And usually I stick these things out but I just wasn't interested enough in the characters to actually do that with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

peteeeed wrote: »
    War games added today

The 80s Mathew Broderick film?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

tigger123 wrote: »
    The 80s Mathew Broderick film?

Oh yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

peteeeed wrote: »
    Oh yes

Never seen it, but always wanted to. Is it worth watching, outside of the nostalgia?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yes, watch War Games. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Watched I Don't Feel at Home in this World Anymore at the weekend. I've always enjoyed Melanie Lynskey and Elijah Wood in anything I've seen them in and they work really well together in this. Lynskey plays Ruth, a downtrodden nursing assistant who asks her martial arts obsessed neighbour Tony (played by Wood) to come with her and help get back her stolen laptop after the police refuse to help her. It spirals from there and goes completely off the rails by the end but it's always enjoyable and there's a great chemistry between the two leads. An added bonus (for me) is the fact that the character of Marshall is played by Jesus Lizard singer David Yow. Well worth a watch.

Watched Captain Philips as well. Don't know why I hadn't got around to it before. Great performances by Hanks and Barkhad Abdi in it. It's based on the true story of the kidnapping of Richard Philips by Somali pirates. Well worth a watch if you haven't seen it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Hologram for the King is a good film, that I never heard being released in cinemas, starring Tom Hanks going to Saudi Arabia on business to try and win a big contract. It shows the madness of how Saudi Arabia works compared to our western ways.

After that I was recommended by Netflix to watch Copenhagen. A 20-something American in Europe trying to trace his paternal grandfather who meets a 14 year-old girl and there follows a will-they-won't-they scenario (the age of consent in Denmark is 15). 3/5

Watched I Don't Feel at Home in this World Anymore at the weekend. I've always enjoyed Melanie Lynskey and Elijah Wood in anything I've seen them in and they work really well together in this. Lynskey plays Ruth, a downtrodden nursing assistant who asks her martial arts obsessed neighbour Tony (played by Wood) to come with her and help get back her stolen laptop after the police refuse to help her. It spirals from there and goes completely off the rails by the end but it's always enjoyable and there's a great chemistry between the two leads. An added bonus (for me) is the fact that the character of Marshall is played by Jesus Lizard singer David Yow. Well worth a watch.

Watched Captain Philips as well. Don't know why I hadn't got around to it before. Great performances by Hanks and Barkhad Abdi in it. It's based on the true story of the kidnapping of Richard Philips by Somali pirates. Well worth a watch if you haven't seen it already.

Elijah Wood is one of those really underrated actors, that could never really surpass the heights that he reached with Lord of the Rings.

Given it is a Netflix thread, also checked out Dirk Gently, in which Wood is once more fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Elijah Wood is one of those really underrated actors, that could never really surpass the heights that he reached with Lord of the Rings.

Given it is a Netflix thread, also checked out Dirk Gently, in which Wood is once more fantastic!

I loved Dirk Gently but it did get a bit of hate on here due to its deviation from the source material. Wood was great in it though and his performance throughout was pitch-perfect imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Is sin city still on Netflix? If so, he has a very good turn on that as a serial killer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Woods best role for me was in the lead for the surprisingly enjoyable remake of 80s sleaze / slasher classic, Maniac.

He is very watchable in most things he is in IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Agree that Wood is very underrated, but I actually thought he was terrible in LotR! Generally like him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Dair76 wrote: »
    Agree that Wood is very underrated, but I actually thought he was terrible in LotR! Generally like him though.

Anyone see this clip from the GNS where he's trying to explain LOTGs to Jack Nicolson Priceless!

Millers crossing is leaving at the end of the week. I see its been listed on Sky Movies from Monday onwards. Fantastic Movie, not one of the Cohens best but a great turn from our own Gabriel Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Another plus one for I don't feel at home in this world any more. Very darkly funny.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I'm finding it hard to get past 3 or 4 episodes with a lot of the Netflix series. .... Same old , Same old .... Lack of originality and very difficult to care about the characters (eg. Designated survivor, Prison break ..... )

Chanced upon the EXCELLENT "Historia de un clan" and finished it last night.

Very black humour/ drama and based on a true story. There were some authentic newsreels from the case during the final episode which added a lot. Lots of great one-liners from the central character and superb performances all round.

Word of warning: the last few minutes of every episode gives spoilers towards the next one. Sort of ruins the suspense in places.

Overall though highly recommended.

^ Thanks for that, on the list!

Watching Greenleaf at the moment. A black family that 'own' a church in the US, a church that turns over millions from donations. Thought it would be too predictable but it's turning out ok....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^ Thanks for that, on the list!

Watching Greenleaf at the moment. A black family that 'own' a church in the US, a church that turns over millions from donations. Thought it would be too predictable but it's turning out ok....

I planned to start that one myself at the weekend but got sidetracked. Looks like a kind of trashy soapy type thing, in a good way.

I planned to start that one myself at the weekend but got sidetracked. Looks like a kind of trashy soapy type thing, in a good way.

You'd be right about the soapy. :)

Another plus one for I don't feel at home in this world any more. Very darkly funny.

Guess I'll have to add that to something I'll watch this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

127 hours
    chappie
    the young offenders
    added today

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The 1st season of Killjoys got added today (the second aired recently, summer 2016).

Your mileage will definitely vary with this one, but if you're looking for a breezy, space-opera adventure that doesn't take itself remotely seriously, you'll enjoy it. The writing is achingly "Whedon'esque" though, so the barrage of glib snark may be too much. They definitely toned it down in that 2nd season though, and was an all-round better run.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The 1st season of Killjoys got added today (the second aired recently, summer 2016).

Your mileage will definitely vary with this one, but if you're looking for a breezy, space-opera adventure that doesn't take itself remotely seriously, you'll enjoy it. The writing is achingly "Whedon'esque" though, so the barrage of glib snark may be too much. They definitely toned it down in that 2nd season though, and was an all-round better run.

Second season of Love has been added.

There goes my weekend plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

New episode of designated survivor gone up overnight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Yes, watch War Games.

It still stands up, from 1984 but not dated at all believe it or not.

deisedude wrote: »
    New episode of designated survivor gone up overnight

Please let us know if we need to watch the last episode again to try and remember all the plot lines they left hanging. There was quite a few!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Please let us know if we need to watch the last episode again to try and remember all the plot lines they left hanging. There was quite a few!!!

I dunno If i can force myself to watch any more of it, It started with an interesting premise but completely lost its way towards the middle and end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Second season of Love has been added.

There goes my weekend plans.

Well you just dragged me down with you.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Choochtown wrote: »
    I'm finding it hard to get past 3 or 4 episodes with a lot of the Netflix series. .... Same old , Same old .... Lack of originality and very difficult to care about the characters (eg. Designated survivor, Prison break ..... )

Chanced upon the EXCELLENT "Historia de un clan" and finished it last night.

Very black humour/ drama and based on a true story. There were some authentic newsreels from the case during the final episode which added a lot. Lots of great one-liners from the central character and superb performances all round.

Word of warning: the last few minutes of every episode gives spoilers towards the next one. Sort of ruins the suspense in places.

Overall though highly recommended.

The film version is on netflix I think also, (down for me for some reason so can't check).

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_clan_2016/

Its pretty good also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I watched last days in vietnam yesterday. Excellent documentary.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement