Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT suspension failure - do i need to replace?

Options
  • 13-03-2014 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    My car jsut failed the NCT with a leaky shock. Please see pics..Do you think I need to replace the shock or can I just clean up up(see the next pic) and just see how it goes for a week and bring it back?
    Do these things have magical seals that leak a bit, realise their mistake and re-seal :D

What I'm really asking I guess, does the NCT guy want to see a new shock in there jsut because it was 'leaking'....there was only a 10% on the test!

Am I fooling myself? Should I just repalce it anyway...It seems fine to drive on.

Thanks for your input

P.S why is the oil creeping UP the spring? Surely it should be coming down??

Before::
    Suspension_zpsf8e31ceb.jpg

After::
    Suspension1_zps44dfedfa.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

The next tester will see it listed on the sheet, so yes he will notice if you don't replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If it's leaking then it's done and needs to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Also, it's advisable to change in pairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭magnethead

Thanks for the reply lads, I was afraid of the 'replace in pairs' but it makes sense even though it's much more work :mad:

I heard of a product in the states called 'fork seal' for motorbikes, which are it's shock....mayeb that's different, but I guess the work involved in getting the shock off to apply it, might as well replace them

Balls!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Your car will be much improved with new shocks.
    It's shouldn't be a massive cost provided the car is not something special.

• Advertisement

Should have cleaned it before going to the NCT!! Schoolboy error!

It's a 03 Toyota Corolla, as common as muck ;p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Di acetyl Morphine !

NCT is a scam. I'd just blame the suspension damage on a clamping company and make them pay for the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

magnethead wrote: »
    Should have cleaned it before going to the NCT!! Schoolboy error!

It's a 03 Toyota Corolla, as common as muck ;p

Get 2 new ones so as they cannot be expensive. you would only be fooling yourself by keeping them shocks in there as sooner or later, the leaky one will completely fail in doing its job.
    Did it fail on imbalance also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

Surely it will fail the retest so cleaning it won't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

i had a weeping shock fail before, but with an imbalance that was still passable.

i washed the shock with degreaser and wrote on it with tip-ex pen the model and year of the car so it looked like it came from a scrap yard and it passed.

your imbalance is still passable, i'd be surprised if you done the above and it wouldn't pass.

in fairness i know it's not ideal and the shock is still failing, but if you are like me at the time (penniless) then it's a viable short term solution.

• Advertisement

Thanks Toyotafanboi :D I needed to hear someone trying that and getting away with it, nice trick with the tip-ex

It was a bit annoying because the test results on the top picture here show it passing with a 10% difference..

NCT is a pain in the &^%%

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

People are strange. You do realise those parts are there for a very good reason?

You have been told that an important part of your car suspension is faulty, and your response is to want to just leave it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

People are strange. You do realise those parts are there for a very good reason?

You have been told that an important part of your car suspension is faulty, and your response is to want to just leave it there?

ah come on now. i've seen worse imbalance readings on shocks that have passed. a mildly weeping shock is hardly a death trap.

if the op is cash strapped, as many of us are these days, then it's a viable solution for a period. something he can keep an eye on and maybe replace a little down the line.

from personal experience his plan will most likely work. i admit it's not a by the book solution, but i'd imagine a set of chinese tyres would be more dangerous than a mildly weeping shock but they will fly through the NCT, for example. (i know that's not overly relevant but just from a safety/ NCT fail comparison point of view).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

ah come on now. i've seen worse imbalance readings on shocks that have passed. a mildly weeping shock is hardly a death trap.

I just never will understand why some people are happy to cut corners on something that is propelling you down the road at 60mph.

I couldn't care less about scratches or dents, but I always look after my brakes, steering and suspension. Nothing to do with any NCT, just good practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

magnethead wrote: »
    P.S why is the oil creeping UP the spring? Surely it should be coming down??
    Getting soaked up by the dust and dirt on the spring I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I just never will understand why some people are happy to cut corners on something that is propelling you down the road at 60mph.

I couldn't care less about scratches or dents, but I always look after my brakes, steering and suspension. Nothing to do with any NCT, just good practice.
    I'm so glad the nct was brought in when you see some of the "solutions" being offered here. Leaky shocks are lethal. If the op stops being a cheapskate and replaces the pair his car will be transformed. He'll be back here saying he's sorry he didn't do it ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 magnethead123

Hiya, THanks for all the replies, I tried cleaning the shock, but it just leaked out all over itself again within the week.

I'm going to replace the rear 2.. Can any knowledgable Mechanic recommend a decent shock for a corolla? THe toyota dealer is up the road but I don't want to pay top dollar for a standard shock with the price jacked up by them when a good aftermarket one would probably be better.

NCT coming up this Friday :mad: so I need to buy the shocks tomorrow

THanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Get the cheapest ones from local motor factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭cletus

As joujou said, go to your local motor factors if replacing them yourself, otherwise go to your trusted indie mechanic and let him buy them at trade price and put them on.

Its not a performance vehicle, so pretty much any spurious shock made for your car will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Hiya, THanks for all the replies, I tried cleaning the shock, but it just leaked out all over itself again within the week.

I'm going to replace the rear 2.. Can any knowledgable Mechanic recommend a decent shock for a corolla? THe toyota dealer is up the road but I don't want to pay top dollar for a standard shock with the price jacked up by them when a good aftermarket one would probably be better.

NCT coming up this Friday :mad: so I need to buy the shocks tomorrow

THanks for your help
    you will have to replace both shocks at the same time to avoid an imbalance. Kyb or Monroe are both decent brands of shocks that can be got for reasonable money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 magnethead123

Fairplay I picked up KYB Gas shocks (Two of them), so from the sounds of it, they won't leak oil :) but when a Gas seal goes they'll probably leak all in one go LOL

What would be a fair price(Time) for installing 2 of these rear shocks, given the mechanic will have to take the spring off before putting the shocks in etc...

THanks

Just to close off this thread, the KYB shocks were 80 euro each and the job was done by a mechanic near work for 60 euro.....

and most importantly it passed the NCT/racket (Until next year)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aidan conroy

Nct test and my car failed on shocks. They read 55mm (left) 35mm (right). which shock is to be replaced? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Nct test and my car faild on shocks.they read 55mm(left)35mm(right).which shock is to b replaced.thank u

Both. They need to be replaced in pairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aidan conroy

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Both. They need to be replaced in pairs.

I have a pair with lower springs on them which are loose on them. If i took them off and put two different springs on them would that work?

Advertisement